Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

According to imdb, after Destry Allyn, another Spielberg daughter has joined the cast

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0818587/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl15

Axolotl

She got cast because she was perfect for the role.

Drenk

Gary's buddies also need love!
Ascension.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Axolotl on October 28, 2021, 05:54:39 AM
She got cast because she was perfect for the role.

Probably  so

pynchonikon

A runtime of 1h42min was just added. A few days ago the film's genre was updated as Comedy-Drama.

wrongright

That sounds too short for a film with supposedly intersecting storylines. All the supporting roles must just be Inherent Vice-esque cameos. Punch-Drunk Love only really had one developed character with a similar runtime.

As far as the Spielberg daughters, this has more Hollywood scion than POC. He must not care at all about being called out for that.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wrongright on October 28, 2021, 09:57:02 AM
As far as the Spielberg daughters, this has more Hollywood scion than POC. He must not care at all about being called out for that.

Diversity becomes neoliberal commodity, near-tokenized stunt casting, when done out of the dishonest mechanism that iz Curb Your Outrage. Those people that would "call out" an un-bigoted piece after tallying up identities "represented" within might prove more dangerous to art and culture. Beware. 

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 28, 2021, 09:32:45 AM
A runtime of 1h42min was just added. A few days ago the film's genre was updated as Comedy-Drama.

Essentially reporting the same thing, with (vague) confirmation?

wilberfan

C&RV has joined the action this week.

https://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2021/10/alana-haim-begins-press-for-licorice.html

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 28, 2021, 09:32:45 AM

How do we feel about this?  Excited for a brisk & peppy comedy/drama?  Disappointed because with PTA "more is more"?  Both?

HACKANUT

If that is the length I've got no problem with it.
PDL doesnt feel lacking in anyway due to its short runtime. Not everything needs to be an epic.

pynchonikon

Quote from: wilberfan on October 28, 2021, 11:27:19 AM
Excited for a brisk & peppy comedy/drama?  Disappointed because with PTA "more is more"?  Both?

On the one hand, I'm satisfied because I was rooting for a short runtime ever since the trailer dropped and gave as a glimpse of what type of movie we should expect. Of course we have to watch the film first but I'm feeling this runtime is justified and reasonable.

On the other hand, I understand the "more is better" argument when we have to do with a great filmmaker who isn't as productive as we would want him to be. And yes, the idea of dealing with a 100min piece knowing that we"ll probably have to wait another 3-4 years for the next one is kinda unpleasant. Hopefully LP will be so strong that it will be able to fill this gap in the meantime.

wilberfan

Our collective frame-by-frame analysis will take at least two years, so I think we'll have plenty to think about in this next gap.   :wink:

pynchonikon

https://deadline.com/2021/10/deadlines-the-contenders-film-los-angeles-1234863727/

LP is included in MGM/UAR's presentation at the Deadline Contenders event next month.

wilberfan

Which presents the problem:  How do I become a guild member in the next few days?!

Although "sample" seems to be the key word here.

Quote...continues to thrive as a one-stop opportunity for Academy and key guild members to sample the top hopefuls as the season ramps up.

Drill

Quote from: wilberfan on October 28, 2021, 01:23:51 PM
Which presents the problem:  How do I become a guild member in the next few days?!

Although "sample" seems to be the key word here.

Quote...continues to thrive as a one-stop opportunity for Academy and key guild members to sample the top hopefuls as the season ramps up.

These aren't screenings. They're quick panel discussions for Oscar campaigning.