Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

d

If they did not pull those 35 mm prints after all do you guys recon the online release is less likely now in the next couple of days? At least one more week of surprise screenings and online release maybe, maybe next Monday? If not later... :(

pynchonikon

Quote from: Montclair on September 13, 2021, 08:12:06 PMWhen this fails to make a profit, his next movie will be with a streaming giant that will only allow a 14 day theater exclusive before streaming everywhere.

Several current A-list American filmmakers (Fincher, Baumbach, Coens, Adam McKay etc, even Scorsese) seem like they have accepted the new state of things. It's a matter of time before Paul accepts it, too. And as long as the streaming platforms let them to do whatever they want with their movies (including shooting on film and the theatrical window), it's not as tragic as it might have looked a couple of years ago, at least to me.

Lots of Bees

Quote from: d on September 14, 2021, 01:54:06 AM
If they did not pull those 35 mm prints after all do you guys recon the online release is less likely now in the next couple of days? At least one more week of surprise screenings and online release maybe, maybe next Monday? If not later... :(

Could be, could be... Really just don't think we can predict. Next Monday would make sense, two Mondays gets to the point of being a little late, especially for already having a trailer ready to go. Wouldn't really seem reasonable at that point.

But also wouldn't be surprised if they released stills, a plot description, poster, etc. in the next few days before releasing the trailer (unless they just dump it all on us at once, which is always possible with PTA).

I don't really see why others think there's a problem with the release strategy, nothing seems at all out of the ordinary here IMO. It's just not a mass audience movie that releases its trailer like a year in advance, that's never ever been PTA's style. And I think screening the trailer exclusively in 35mm for a little while is really cool. BUT I might go crazy if I don't get to see it soon.

thehed

It's like every morning could be Christmas morning or it could not be and I have no idea until I go on this site

PinkTeeth

Quote from: thehed on September 14, 2021, 03:30:57 AM
It's like every morning could be Christmas morning or it could not be and I have no idea until I go on this site

This is the best of times.
New Name, Same Typos.

Drenk

Definitely not this week.

I'm also not buying that the guy who's premiering a trailer on 35mm will accept being dropped on streaming in the future. He's been extremely lucky all his career, so maybe he'll find yet another way to avoid that faith.
Ascension.

pynchonikon

Looks like a financial arrangement and everything. I don't remember seeing something like that before.

https://twitter.com/ThePCCLondon/status/1437767273322848256

d

Ok, I'm afraid it may get a little bit annoying in the days to come for someone like myself with no access to those few screenings. While I kind of admire this unusual approach and the whole 35 mm thing (regardless of the real marketing effects, which I am unable to assess and honestly do not really care about at this point) it is really frustrating to beg strangers (I am grateful to you all who responded here or elsewhere) to tall me about a trailer (which is technically a kind of ad, right?) that only a handful of people can see for so long and who knows how much longer. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit "disrespectful" to fans who happen not to live in LA, NYC or London but contribute to box office, spread the word about not just this one etc.? Or am I being bitter now?   

itwasgood

Quote from: d on September 14, 2021, 08:48:25 AM
Ok, I'm afraid it may get a little bit annoying in the days to come for someone like myself with no access to those few screenings. While I kind of admire this unusual approach and the whole 35 mm thing (regardless of the real marketing effects, which I am unable to assess and honestly do not really care about at this point) it is really frustrating to beg strangers (I am grateful to you all who responded here or elsewhere) to tall me about a trailer (which is technically a kind of ad, right?) that only a handful of people can see for so long and who knows how much longer. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit "disrespectful" to fans who happen not to live in LA, NYC or London but contribute to box office, spread the word about not just this one etc.? Or am I being bitter now?

I wouldn't say disrespectful, I didn't feel being disrespected, but I do feel a little left alone. It's super cool to unveil the trailer in 35mm only, which is the way he intends to make films and what he chooses his films to look like, and which potentially helps the arthouse cinemas, it's cool, but it'd be cooler if I get the chance to see it.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: wilberfan on September 13, 2021, 07:48:47 PM
Quote from: Find Your Magali on September 13, 2021, 07:31:08 PM
What's up the imdb.com now spelling the title differently?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11271038/reference

I've heard fans in the UK are struggling with the American spelling because they spell it differently.  Probably just some Wikipunk screwing around.  The American spelling is "correct" because the title comes from the LA area record store in the 60s to 80s--and that's the way it will be spelled on the frickin' title card, as well as all the marketing.  :roll:

Thank you.

nomorecoffee

Do we know of any screening in NYC that will show the trailer?

Alethia

Nothing confirmed, but I already bought tix to Barry Lyndon 35 on Sunday at MoMI. Other 35mm screenings this weekend:

NY NY at MoMI on Friday.
Big Wednesday at Anthology on Friday.
Honkytonk Man at Roxy Sat and Sun.
Two-Lane Blacktop at Anthology on Saturday.
King of Marvin Gardens at Anthology on Saturday.
St. Vincent at The Paris on Sunday.

Why the fuck would Boston get it before NYC?

d

Quote from: itwasgood on September 14, 2021, 09:06:08 AM
I wouldn't say disrespectful, I didn't feel being disrespected, but I do feel a little left alone. It's super cool to unveil the trailer in 35mm only, which is the way he intends to make films and what he chooses his films to look like, and which potentially helps the arthouse cinemas, it's cool, but it'd be cooler if I get the chance to see it.
I used disrespectful for a lack of a better word and used brackets... anyway, you are right, the exclusive premiere of the trailer in 35 mm in his favourite cinemas is cool and makes sense. But if it lasts longer than a few days, I don't know. It just does not feel fair. ;) But there is no point complaining I guess. All I can do is to wait patiently, enjoy it while it finally arrives online, love the movie, do not hold the grudge and remain a devoted fan.

Alma

Maybe PTA is driving a van across the country dropping prints of the trailer off at random arthouse cinemas as he goes.