elephant

Started by gjg 4 REEL, September 23, 2003, 01:45:14 PM

modage

Title: Elephant
Released: 4th May 2004
SRP: $27.95

Further Details
HBO have sent over a few early details on the region one release of Elephant which stars Alex Frost, Eric Deulen, John Robinson and Elias McConnell. The disc will be available to own from the 4th May this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $27.95. The film will receive both anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers as well as an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. English and French mono tracks will also be included on the disc. Extra material will include a On the Set of Elephant: Rolling Through Time featurette as well as a HBO Films spot and the theatrical trailer. I'm afraid the artwork is currently unavailable, but we'll bring you that soon. Stay tuned for further information.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

How can a film shot in 1.33:1 be given an anamorphic widescreen transfer???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

The widescreen transfer is for those idiots that like "the black bars on the screen".

Chest Rockwell

It's probably already been asked, but I'm not in the mood to flip through 12 pages to find it, or search, but can someone tell me why it's named 'Elephant'? I saw the movie and I saw no elephants!  :-D

snaporaz

Quote from: Chest RockwellIt's probably already been asked, but I'm not in the mood to flip through 12 pages to find it, or search, but can someone tell me why it's named 'Elephant'? I saw the movie and I saw no elephants!  :-D

supposedly van sant got the word from a buddhist [?] proverb about two blind men who touch different parts of a statue of an elephant. one man thinks it's one thing, the other thinks it's something else. this is a reference to society's reasonings on school shootings - some people think it's about violence in the media and whatnot, others think it's about the lack of family/community values, et cetera, like everyone's searching for one answer to be a "solution".

i think. i just heard that.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

Both explanations make some sense.

Pas

Quote from: peteit's a reference to this film

It is, but this film was a reference to this

Quote from: snaporazsupposedly van sant got the word from a buddhist [?] proverb about two blind men who touch different parts of a statue of an elephant. one man thinks it's one thing, the other thinks it's something else. this is a reference to society's reasonings on school shootings - some people think it's about violence in the media and whatnot, others think it's about the lack of family/community values, et cetera, like everyone's searching for one answer to be a "solution".

i think. i just heard that.

pete

whoa it's like our two explanations just shook hands with one another and said "hey how's it going."
but about the fable--it IS from India, but it's a Hindu fable.
- Buster Keaton

Quite the columbinesploitation...

I went in the theatre expecting some great work, and left feeling disappointment.

This movie really could be done in about 30 minutes, but was drawn out to an hour and a half.

The films' execution left something to be desired.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: 82This movie really could be done in about 30 minutes, but was drawn out to an hour and a half.
You could say that about almost any Coen movie, too. Style often drags the movie out further, but who's crying? Style is arguably the most important feature in a film, though I don't necessarily agree.

picolas

Quote from: IP FreelyYou could say that about almost any Coen movie, too.
only if you're a fan of not understanding anything because of ridiculous plot compression. theriothly. Fargo, Blood Simple, Lebowski, Hudsucker, Miller's, extchterah. how could these be any shorter? e'splain.

pete

well, you COULD said that about any coen bros movie but you'd be wrong.
- Buster Keaton

samsong

Quote from: petewell, you COULD said that about any coen bros movie but you'd be wrong.

it just so happens that what you just said can be applied to Elephant.  My opinion, of course.

rustinglass

Quote from: Pedro the WombatThe widescreen transfer is for those idiots that like "the black bars on the screen".

I still don't understand it. I can understand how they pan and scan films shot in 2.35:1, to 3:4, but not the other way... how do they do it? stretch the image?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica