The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

Sleuth

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestionAS FOR "AQUATIC LIFE etc

LIFE AQUATIC!
I like to hug dogs

supermarket trollley

lamas: Bud Cort was in a really bad car accident years ago.

modage

Quote from: supermarket trollleylamas: Bud Cort was in a really bad car accident years ago.

were you in the car with him?  you seem touchy about the subject.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02were you in the car with him?  you seem touchy about the subject.

Who do you think caused the accident?

In 1979, Cort was involved in a terrible car accident on the Hollywood Freeway on his way back from a Frank Sinatra concert. He broke an arm and a leg and sustained a concussion and a fractured skull. His face was severely lacerated, his lower lip cut and hanging by a thread. In 1984, he told People magazine, "When I got up the nerve to look at myself in a mirror for the first time, I screamed. I looked like a monster, with my forehead, face and lip all sewn up. I wanted to die." Cort underwent three operations for plastic surgery and remains unsatisfied with the result. "I try not to look in mirrors," he said.

At the time, Cort had a part lined up in a Robby Benson movie, "Die Laughing." He expected to be fired but instead, producer Jon Peters said, "Well, you're playing the villain anyway. Think about how good it will be for the character." Later, Leonard Maltin wrote, "Cort is disgustingly oily as a fascist villain."

Cort spent all of his savings on medical bills and went on to lose a $10 million suit he had brought against the driver of the other car. He found himself broke and without work. While he receives annual residual checks from Paramount for "Harold and Maude," (the last one was for $28.77 ), he doesn't get any profit from video distribution. "I get no participation from video sales -- I'd be a millionaire if I did," Cort has said. "I made next to nothing from that movie."

In the past 20 years, Cort has made 30 forgettable films, including playing the role of Norman Bates' creepy proxy in the TV flick "The Bates Motel." After the accident, he'd stopped being choosy and uninterested in weirdo roles. His disfigurement motivated him to go into radio, where he did a bit of voice work, including a successfully syndicated reading of "The Catcher in the Rye."

In 1991, he made his debut as a director with "Ted & Venus" a low-budget romance about a crazed poet on Venice Beach that he also wrote and starred in. While the film's producer called the movie the "spiritual sequel" of "Harold and Maude," the critics were not moved. The L.A. Times wrote, "Bud Cort was as appealing in the milestone comedy ('Harold and Maude') as he is repellent in this film." Variety's Todd McCarthy called it "a highly unpleasant yarn about a lovelorn sickie who endlessly torments a beautiful young woman." The film -- with cameos by Woody Harrelson, Gena Rowlands, Andrea Martin, Timothy Leary, Carol Kane and Martin Mull, went straight to video.

In the coming year, Cort will appear in four or five films, some of which already have pretty good street cred. He has a role in the highly controversial, much anticipated "Dogma," Kevin Smith's religious satire starring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, with Alanis Morissette as God. And he will portray the strait-laced dad of Natasha Lyonne's high school cheerleader in "But I'm a Cheerleader." In the film, the girl is sent by her parents to rehab camp when it's suspected that she's a lesbian. He will also appear in Dwight Yoakam's western "South of Heaven, West of Hell," starring Vince Vaughn, Billy Bob Thornton and Paul Rubens. Further, Cort will be seen in Ed Harris' bio-pic about Jackson Pollack and the Bono-scripted "Million Dollar Hotel," about a murder at a skid-row hotel.

Cort may ultimately crack his typecast. Indeed, a new generation of kids is growing up that has never heard of "Harold and Maude." But for many a poetic soul, "Harold and Maude" is bound to stay around forever. As Colin Higgins once explained, "We're all Harold, and we all want to be Maude. We're all repressed and trying to be free, to be ourselves, to be vitally interested in living, to be everything we want."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: supermarket trollleyI'm not sure I understand the last two posts. I thought I was just answering that guy's question...

"English motherfucker!  DO you speak it?!?"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

My God. Life Aquatic. I'm so ashamed. Time for an appropriate emoticon.
:oops:
I subconciously followed the norm. Apologies.

md

antidumbfrogquestion where upstate do you live....film music and beer...you sound like my kinda guy
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I alternate between rochester and fredonia/ beerdonia (the crappiest trying to be lame that it's not even funny dumb nickname for a college party town anywhere). It's right next to Dunkirk though, and I'm the only person who gets a kick out of saying Drunkirk.
So, if you've heard anything bad about my breed of nomad, it's false. We's all good.

btw...film, music, beer...you know it's all worth it's salt 8)

Ernie

Quote from: mdantidumbfrogquestion where upstate do you live....film music and beer...you sound like my kinda guy

You drink illegally? I could swear you said you were under 21.

Sleuth

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: mdantidumbfrogquestion where upstate do you live....film music and beer...you sound like my kinda guy

Hahaha, oh ebeaman ::kiss forehead and combs hair with fingers::

...so innocent...
I like to hug dogs

Pedro

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: ebeaman

Hahaha, oh ebeaman ::kiss forehead and combs hair with fingers::

...so innocent...
Sloth, you're fucking priceless.

Pas

A Matter Of Chance

Just to voice my opinion oono "Life Aquatic," It's gonna kick ass.

Ernie

Oh, I was just saying cause I had talked to md before a couple times and he just didn't seem like the type to drink illegally. He won best film a couple times at a local film festival. I just thought only football players and people like that did it illegally. I guess I thought wrong.

Lol, seriously, I never knew I was so naive before coming here. Lately though, I've been starting to think somebody should write an ebeaman-version of "What's This?" from Nightmare Before Christmas...don't really do it though...I'll get better.

RegularKarate

What's this? What's this?
There's color everywhere
What's this?
There's white stuff in my hair
What's this?
I can't believe my eyes
I must be dreaming
Wake up, Ebes, this isn't fair
What's this?

What's this? What's this?
There's something very wrong
What's this?
There's people smoking bongs

What's this?
The streets are lined with
Lots of people drinking
Everybody seems so happy
Have I possibly quit thinking?
What is this?
What's this?

There are children smoking cigarettes here
Instead of sewing sweaters
They're busy doing drugs
And no one's writing grammaw letters

There's smoke in every window
Oh, I can't believe my eyes
And in my nose I smell the weed
That's coming from inside

Oh, look
What's this?
They're touching their own wangs
Why that looks so unique, inspired
They're gathering around to hear a story
Of how Jim scored with Meg that liar
What's this?
What's this?

In here I've got a little wood, how queer
And who would ever think
And why?

That's all I've got... who wants to finish?