Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

PaulElroy35

To be fair Phantom Thread was up for awards but that didnt go to a festival did it?

Yes

The difference between this and Phantom Thread is that Phantom was a late release so it literally couldn't do fests. Sometimes those films do well with Oscars— 1917, Vice, The Revenant, etc

But this releases in November, it's not late release. It really needs some festival rollout.

Alma

It seems more crowded this year too with everything that's been pushed back.

Yes

Mary Elizabeth Ellis is credited as Sue Mengers on wiki

Remember, Mengers has long been a rumored character and she was Streisand's agent

Drenk

You're once again all displaying your anxiety.  :yabbse-grin: That movie is gonna be nominated for multiple Oscars with or without festivals—and Venice or Cannes have never been necessary steps for such trajectories. Only TIFF.

I may have gone crazy and tried to go to New-York if that COVID thing wasn't still, well, a huge inconvenient thing, maybe next time? If an asteroid doesn't crash on Earth.
Ascension.

Drill

Quote from: Drenk on July 27, 2021, 05:36:58 AM
You're once again all displaying your anxiety.  :yabbse-grin: That movie is gonna be nominated for multiple Oscars with or without festivals—and Venice or Cannes have never been necessary steps for such trajectories. Only TIFF.

I may have gone crazy and tried to go to New-York if that COVID thing wasn't still, well, a huge inconvenient thing, maybe next time? If an asteroid doesn't crash on Earth.

TIFF is not that important anymore. Venice/Telluride are definitely bigger. If a movie's world premiere is at TIFF, then that's usually not the greatest sign.

Alma

I don't actually care about Oscars, I just want it to get enough buzz that I'm able to see it at the cinema :yabbse-grin:

Drill

Quote from: Yes on July 26, 2021, 11:47:20 PM
The difference between this and Phantom Thread is that Phantom was a late release so it literally couldn't do fests. Sometimes those films do well with Oscars— 1917, Vice, The Revenant, etc

But this releases in November, it's not late release. It really needs some festival rollout.

Only one gala slot left for NYFF. Jane Campion has the Centerpiece screening. If not that, then maybe a surprise screening at Telluride or London?

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on July 26, 2021, 11:47:20 PM

So it still has NYFF it could go to.

Yes

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

And while it would be awesome for PTA to win, I just want another great film. No festivals would be very concerning regarding quality

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Yes on July 27, 2021, 05:45:15 PM

And while it would be awesome for PTA to win, I just want another great film. No festivals would be very concerning regarding quality

Why would you be concerned if it didnt go to one?

Yes

Quote from: Mattbish19 on July 28, 2021, 01:04:42 AM
Quote from: Yes on July 27, 2021, 05:45:15 PM

Why would you be concerned if it didnt go to one?

Can't think of many "indie" adult drama released in Nov without festivals. I wouldn't be worried if this was a tight post like Phantom Thread but it's not. Haynes' Dark Water was last time and that failed to catch on (last year doesn't count with COVID)

RudyBlatnoyd

Ultimately, festival appearances and awards buzz is all just noise and immaterial as to whether a movie is any good or not. Lots of bad, quickly-forgotten films debut at prestigious festivals and lots of great movies have received little praise at the time and gone on to become classics.

PTA is now at a place in his career where I suspect he prefers to just do his own thing and not get drawn too much into 'awards conversations'. He's well-established enough and has enough friends in high places – like De Luca – that he can do the kind of work he wants to do, within a certain budgetary bracket, without playing the game too much.

A film is more than the festival it appeared at / how many Academy voters favour it with their attention for five minutes.

wrongright

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on July 28, 2021, 04:04:55 AM
Ultimately, festival appearances and awards buzz is all just noise and immaterial as to whether a movie is any good or not. Lots of bad, quickly-forgotten films debut at prestigious festivals and lots of great movies have received little praise at the time and gone on to become classics.

PTA is now at a place in his career where I suspect he prefers to just do his own thing and not get drawn too much into 'awards conversations'. He's well-established enough and has enough friends in high places – like De Luca – that he can do the kind of work he wants to do, within a certain budgetary bracket, without playing the game too much.

A film is more than the festival it appeared at / how many Academy voters favour it with their attention for five minutes.

If he or the people backing him don't care about awards, then why always release his films at the end of the year during the thick of Awards season? What do you think MGM is even expecting from this then? Just some good reviews and nothing more? If Wes Anderson still needs festivals, then I don't see how you can say that PTA doesn't.