Batman Begins

Started by ©brad, February 19, 2003, 01:10:29 PM

Gamblour.

I don't think he becomes a bat or a monster so much as figure of legendary status. He lives a dual life as a man and as something greater than a man, but that does not imply that second life is not human, lacking humanity, or inhumane. Anyway, I know what I mean, I don't feel like explaining it.

How did we forget that Tom Wilkinson was badass as fuck in this??? If only for that scene in the bar.
WWPTAD?

Brazoliange

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: Brazoliangeugh.... no, no, no...  :nono:

also this little zinger, made my opinion of you fall into the gutter - and it wasn't very high to begin with.

just had to get that off my chest.

sorry, I know that sounded like shit but there was no other way I could think of putting it... I meant it to sound like I was murmuring it to myself

now that you put it that way though, I can see your side of this as working too... though I'd think it'd make Gordon's job harder, because he was content to let most of the corruption slide until Batman arrived
Long live the New Flesh

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Brazoliangethough I'd think it'd make Gordon's job harder, because he was content to let most of the corruption slide until Batman arrived

i dont think he was content - i just thinking he didn't have the power behind him to do anything about it.
...your excuses are your own...

jonas

Rant/Review (SPOILERS)

Damn, maybe I just don't see enough action movies... but I thought it was great.

I went in with pretty high expectations, I loved how much darker than the previous 4. The first-person shots of the effect of the Scarecrow's gas was really cool, I mean when the Scarecrow was sprayed with a "dose of his own medicine" and seeing a black devil Batman spewing black goo was reall fucking cool. Also have to mention everyone seeing a flying devil Batman was awesome as well. The darker images/tone like these are something the other Batman movies dared to do.

The older movies were too over the top, this was much more realistic and for me the believability of it helped. There were some almost cheesy one liners, but nothing that stood out as really bad (nothing like NOOOOO in Star Wars III). Same with the Katie Holmes characer. This movie didn't have a "love interest". She was a friend from childhood that he's always adored and did love her, but she wasn't a "love interest" character. In the end they kissed and walked away as friends.

I think people are being led to think that she is a typical super hero movie girl. I thought of her just like another character in the movie with a recognizable face (Murphy, Caine, Oldman) and they were all treated with equal time and interest, not just thrown in. Most of everyone's complaint is with her character, and it didn't bother me at all.

I've also been hearing gripes about the action and I thought it was pretty good. There isn't a ton of action, but enough to look believeable and interesting. The last shot of him jump out the back the falling train and making the wings shoot out was really fucking cool as well.

I think the sequel is going to be really good. It will be almost all action and Baman vs. The Joker and The Scarecrow (she didn't kill him and he got away.. I think he'll be in the sequel and sort of partner up with The Joker) for the entire 2 hours.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

MacGuffin

The Latest Joker in the Deck
Cool new Batman sequel buzz!

Batman-on-Film suggests that Bettany may be a candidate for the role of Batman's greatest enemy. "Bettany joins Lachy Hulme and Crispin Glover in the mix to play The Crown Prince of Crime."

In related sequel buzz, director Christopher Nolan reportedly spoke candidly with a small English publication, the Laceby News, about the next Bat-flick.

"If David's writing it, Christian's still Batman, and everyone else is returning....me not returning would be like the only student of a graduating class skipping the big day to wash the car," Nolan apparently said.

"Like Begins, one clear cut villain isn't the plan," Nolan added. And what of the Boy Wonder? "The studio wasn't interested in Robin. We weren't either. This is a young Batman, so Robin's a few films....not for a few pictures anyway. Dick Grayson's still in a crib somewhere. I seriously doubt I will even be involved when Robin's in the franchise."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I have nothing against this guy... but he talks like if he created the character and he is the key to the success of this franchise...

Brazoliange

Quote from: andy gekkoI have nothing against this guy... but he talks like if he created the character and he is the key to the success of this franchise...

this isn't Burton's Batman, and it doesn't follow his or Schumacher's storyline,  it's one Nolan made...

so in reality Nolan(/Bale) helmed this Batman franchise
Long live the New Flesh

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Brazoliange
Quote from: andy gekkoI have nothing against this guy... but he talks like if he created the character and he is the key to the success of this franchise...

this isn't Burton's Batman, and it doesn't follow his or Schumacher's storyline,  it's one Nolan made...

i was under the impression that this franchise spin came from frank miller's comic books...anyone?

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: Brazoliange

i was under the impression that this franchise spin came from frank miller's comic books...anyone?

*Sigh*  I guess no one reads the articles I post.  :cry:

Quote from: On Page 24, MacGuffinHe heard that Warners wanted to reinvent the Batman franchise but didn’t have any specific ideas. “So I got in touch with them and pitched my take on it. A very loose take. Then I refined it a bit and got more specific with it, based on their comments … . And we settled on the notion of it being an origin story.”

Looking at the entirety of the Batman canon with co-scripter David S. Goyer, Nolan discovered that there isn’t a single definitive account of the hero’s origin: Different writers had experimented with different ideas through the years. “Some elements stuck, others didn’t,” Nolan says. “We looked for the things that stuck and therefore are essential to the character.” While he cites Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One and Jeph Loeb’s The Long Halloween as influences, he was determined that this film should be a fresh take on the character – his interpretation of its essence from six decades of stories by scores of writers.

Greg Silverman at Warners sent him “The Man Who Falls,” in which Bruce Wayne leaves Gotham for seven years and travels the world, learning the different skills that he will put to use as Batman. “I found that a fascinating jumping-off point,” Nolan says. “You know, Bruce Wayne as a little boy being traumatized by an encounter with bats and how that influences his life.”
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

am i going to fail the class now?

it might have been better if he did go off frank millers.

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

year one is almost more focused on Gordon than Batman.  its really good.  Penn seems like a cool choice except kinda old considering the younger casting of bale.  atleast he has a babyface.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

B.C. Long

IF they cast Sean Penn as the Joker, they might as well cast Dakota Fanning as Harley to complete this crappy casting rumor.