Spider-Man 2

Started by MacGuffin, July 21, 2003, 10:19:46 AM

matt35mm

In addition to that very positive review, Ebert and Roeper had an early review, in which they gave it "two very big thumbs up."

Ebert said that it was probably the best comic book movie he'd ever seen, and Roeper agreed.  Ebert gave a thumbs down to the first Spider-Man, so this is very high praise coming from him.

I was already pretty psyched about this movie, but now I'm really superpsyched.  I was convinced that the second one would be better than the first (and I liked the first a lot) when I heard that Michael Chabon was involved, and that was about a year ago.  I went around boldly proclaiming that Spider-Man 2 would be amazing because of this, and now I'm glad to see that it looks like I'm not gonna be proved wrong!

Ravi

http://www.gothamcomics.com/spiderman_india/

SPIDER-MAN INDIA –SPIDER-MAN EXTENDS FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD TO STREETS OF BOMBAY!

Bangalore, India (June 14, 2004)— Marvel Comics & Gotham Entertainment Group –Indian publishing licensee of Marvel Comics and the leading publisher of international comic magazines in South Asia – announces the launch of Spider-Man India.

Spider-Man India interweaves the local customs, culture and mystery of modern India, with an eye to making Spider-Man’s mythology more relevant to this particular audience. Readers of this series will not see the familiar Peter Parker of Queens under the classic Spider-Man mask, but rather a new hero – a young, Indian boy named Pavitr Prabhakar. As Spider-Man, Pavitr leaps around rickshaws and scooters in Indian streets, while swinging from monuments such as the Gateway of India and the Taj Mahal.

Mumbai’s (Bombay’s) first web-swinging superhero will be joined by a reinterpretation of the classic Spider-Man villain, the Green Goblin -- reinvented as a Rakshasa, an Indian mythological demon.

“We feel this is one of the most exciting and unique projects in comic history,” said Gotham Entertainment Group CEO Sharad Devarajan. “Unlike traditional translations of American comics, Spider-Man India will become the first-ever ‘transcreation,’ where we reinvent the origin of a Western property like Spider-Man so that he is an Indian boy in Mumbai and dealing with local problems and challenges.

matt35mm

Hmm.  Strange but... cool.

modage

Director Sam Raimi said Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is planning an extended cut of Spider-Man 2, to be called Spider-Man 2.5, to be released on DVD long after the theatrical cut streets. During a press conference, Raimi said he is happy with the theatrical cut, which he estimates was only trimmed by five minutes, but he previewed the sorts of moments that might be reinstated. He teased the press with one complete scene featuring actor J.K. Simmons as the Daily Bugle editor that could be included in the extended cut. "I don't want to tell you about it. It's a surprise."

Extras planned for the theatrical cut DVD include behind-the-scenes featurettes, trailers, TV spots and more standard bonus features. Raimi was not directly involved in the production of those, but does exert his approval over the material. "I do approve these things. I watch all of them, and I say, 'Please, let's not incorporate that. It seems too out of character for Spider-Man' or 'I don't think the kids will like this," he said. "I usually make some edits and suggestions in each and every piece where I try not to give away too much of the magic unless it's necessary. But really, it's put together by other editors and filmmakers." Look for the Spider-Man 2 DVD this fall.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I can't decide whether this I think this or X2 is the best comic book movie ever (as far as superheroes go, at least), because I haven't seen X2 since it was in theaters, and I absolutely loved it, but man...Spiderman 2 is pretty spectacular. Sam Raimi was right when he said that it was a more intimate story, and his direction here is sooo much better. There are some classic Raimi touches (buuuzzzzzzzz) and some really beautiful sequences. It's also hilarious, and the way the characters grow shows signs of very intelligent writing (no offense to the other writers, but  I'd like to believe Chabon had something to do with that, more than his story credit implies). In fact, it's so character-based that the conflict with Doc Ock sort of gets left by the wayside, making him the least satisfactory part of the movie.  He's not as good a villain as the green goblin, dramatically, but on the other hand he's not wearing a stupid mask and he doesn't have any lame scenes where he asks Spidey to side up with him. But that's a minor complaint.

Ummmmm....okay, I'll write a full review later...but in short, it's awesome.

modage

Quote from: Ghostboyin short, it's awesome.
in short, i'm jealous.  24 hours...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Jeremy Blackman

good
whip pans
the emergency room scene
cryptic Sam Raimi tones

bad
the dialogue
the story
complete exhaustion of the newspaper guy's precious novelty
absence of a dislikable villain
(SPOILER) everybody discovering Spiderman's identity
Kirsten Dunst (again)
the end... my god, the end

Ghostboy

Wow, talk about 180 degree opposing view points...

Oh well, we'll always have Michael Moore...

pete

Quote from: GhostboyI can't decide whether this I think this or X2 is the best comic book movie ever .

that's if you don't ever watch any movies based on comic books outside the US.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

Sorry, I should have said 'superhero' movie. It's definitely not the best comic book movie ever.

mutinyco

I still can't decide whether "comic book movie" is something worthy of having a "best of"...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

El Duderino

Quote from: mutinycoI still can't decide whether "comic book movie" is something worthy of having a "best of"...

i can't decide whether i like you or not after that comment
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

UncleJoey

OK, just got back from a midnight screening. My thoughts:

Well, first off, let me say that anyone that talks and yells stuff during movies is a douchebag and should be given the death sentence immediately. Exceptions: screenings of From Justin to Kelly or something like that. Anyways, not sure why anyone would pay to see Spiderman 2 at midnight opening day and then laugh at how "unrealistic" it is. ***SPOILER*** For example, the scene where Aunt May is danging by her umbrella. Everyone was just scoffing at how no umbrella could hold that weight. Meanwhile they're gasping at a fight between a man with four metallic arms with their own A.I. and a man who can shoot spiderwebs out of his wrists and climb the sides of buildings. So frustrating . . . Just sit down in your seat and shut the fuck up. How hard is that?

The movie: Superior to the first, as most expected. Sure, the dialogue is shaky, but what do you expect? And, really, who cares? I didn't go into the theater looking for some nuanced exploration of Peter and Mary Jane's love, I just wanted to see him kick Doctor Octupus' ass. And this asskicking is portrayed well. I don't mean to say that Peter and MJ's relationship isn't important and that I don't care about it. It's critical to the whole Spiderman story. I'm just saying that if the dialogue gets kind of cheesy sometimes, I don't really mind because this is a superhero story. It's going to be a little over the top. So, overall, I'm completely satisfied with the movie.

Oh, and the ending . . . Kind of weak, but it did get me excited for Spiderman 3.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.