Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

w/o horse

If the cult titles aren't cheaper than I say fuck 'em.  It's hard enough to get me to shell out that kind of money for great movies.  HVE titles are like $15 bucks though, so I shouldn't even worry over such things.

They should rerelease The Blob as a cult title.  Cheaper, you know.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: The Gold Trumpeterotica imprint

*Crosses fingers*
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

w/o horse

In an effort of economic interest, I'm considering purchasing the Anchor Bay release of The Man Who Fell to Earth before the Criterion version is released.  I know if I continue waiting until September that I will not be able to help myself, and I'm not sure I really need the CC version anyway.  However, if there is something of great interest that I am missing, well, that's what I want to know about.  The way I see it:

Anchor Bay:
139 minutes.  Same length.
2.35:1 Anamorphic.  Same picture.
THX certified.
At least the average 70s movie transfer.
2 disc set with nothing really special.
Under $20.

Criterion:
Cooler cover.
Probably better transfer.
Middle $30s.

Is there any reason I should not purchase the Anchor Bay, aside from the clout and cover of Criterion?
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

modage

Quote from: Losing the Horse:In an effort of economic interest, I'm considering purchasing the Anchor Bay release of The Man Who Fell to Earth before the Criterion version is released.  Is there any reason I should not purchase the Anchor Bay, aside from the clout and cover of Criterion?
yes, you should wait.  criterion will be better and its only a few months.  pre-order it soon to take your mind off the decision if you must or netflix it in the meantime.  a better question would be: if you already owned the anchor bay version would it be worth an upgrade?  then, it might be up in the air whether it was worth throwing away your previous 20$ investment and then throwing down ANOTHER 30$ for the cc.  that probably a tougher situation.  but in this case, you've waited this long and there is an official criterion announcement that its on its way.  even if it was some longtime rumor i'd say maybe consider the anchor bay.  but as the situation stands, just wait.  i've had a dvd player for like 7 years and have never upgraded my Batman VHS cause i knew that eventually a bomb dvd would come out and damnit if i'm not still waiting for it.  but in a few months my 7 years of careful planning will pay off when i'm finally rewarded with my deluxe editions.  patience is a virtue.   :-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

w/o horse

Fuck you're right.  I guess I don't need to immediately purchase the movie in September either.  Thanks for the sound advice, for talking me down.  It might save me an immediate $15 to buy the movie now, but down the line I might as well have the best version.

Still, the Anchor Bay title is anamorphic and THX.  The only thing that really bugs me is that it doesn't have subtitles, which I can get over.  Why is the Criterion release better, because of an extra feature I probably won't watch or because of a slightly better transfer?  Does anyone know what is going to be on the disc.

I have a 25% off coupon for Borders that I want to use tomorrow.  And by that I mean it expires tomorrow.

Pubrick

Quote from: Losing the Horse:Why is the Criterion release better, because of an extra feature I probably won't watch or because of a slightly better transfer?
all the features u'd ever want to ignore, a definitive transfer, plus it will hav subtitles (an underrated necessity).
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

as everyonehas said - i'd wait - if only for the transfer - the image quality of the anchor bay disc is pretty bad.
...your excuses are your own...

w/o horse

All right, I'm waiting for sure.  Haha.  Thanks.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pubrickplus it will hav subtitles (an underrated necessity).

Agreed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Losing the Horse:Why is the Criterion release better, because of an extra feature I probably won't watch or because of a slightly better transfer?
all the features u'd ever want to ignore, a definitive transfer, plus it will hav subtitles (an underrated necessity).

has been quite some time since i saw this - the version i say definately did not have subtitles - what scenes were supposed to be subtitles - the flashbacks I assume?

w/o horse

Quote from: Losing the Horse:The only thing that really bugs me is that it doesn't have subtitles.

I think he was repsonding to that, and by that I meant that there are no subtitles period for any part of the movie.  If there is a part in which another language is spoken that would only make it worse.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Losing the Horse:
Quote from: Losing the Horse:The only thing that really bugs me is that it doesn't have subtitles.

I think he was repsonding to that, and by that I meant that there are no subtitles period for any part of the movie.  If there is a part in which another language is spoken that would only make it worse.

i gotcha - as i said, my memory of this film is a bit hazy - i thought there could have been some flashbacks were bowie's family was quietly speaking  that could have been intended with subtitles to understand what they were saying to eachother in their native language.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: cowboykurtisas everyonehas said - i'd wait - if only for the transfer - the image quality of the anchor bay disc is pretty bad.

fuck yeah, that ancho rbay shit sucks.....and i thought iwas released recently,, ...[with in th epast year or so] so they could hav emade that shit better.....and i am looking forward to th ecommentary track ......i am glad that criterion is puttign out something worth th epric einstead of soem random obscure foreign film.....

Fjodor

Alethia