The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Onomatopita
And you know, you're dredging up all this Lynch hate out of nowhere is kind of unfounded and, well, random.  I liked it better when you ranted about those annoying times when the doorbell rings and someone fists someone else with a handful of cheerios.  Or something.

yo!, ...OnO.. dont get offended ....is was sort of goofing around... :wink:

but this is great advice provideed by an enlightened xixaxian:

"you really should see some more before you say that. maybe some of the more 'normal' ones like Elephant Man or Straight Story will give you a different outlook on Velvet, Mulholland, Highway, Eraserhead etc. OR just do it the easy way and watch the first season of Twin Peaks, you'll be a convert immediately I SWEAR."

-themodernage02

ono

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Onomatopita
And you know, you're dredging up all this Lynch hate out of nowhere is kind of unfounded and, well, random.  I liked it better when you ranted about those annoying times when the doorbell rings and someone fists someone else with a handful of cheerios.  Or something.

yo!, ...OnO.. dont get offended ....is was sort of goofing around... :wink:
Who says I was offended?  I realize you were goofing around, but I also realize you're the guy who's always had the MD avatar.  You DO basically kiss the ground Lynch walks on, no?  Besides, no one's ever serious around here.  Seriously.  :wink:

At the same time, modage is converted so he's "enlightened?"  Okay.  Same with Ebert, I guess, when he finally "got" Straight Story and Mulholland Drive after panning the rest of Lynch's flicks.  Do you see the error in this sort of logic?

SiliasRuby

I read the following on an imdb.com board and it isn't really stupid but....well you be the judge....
"Punch Drunk Love was way better than Shrek.

Paul Thomas Anderson's dark comedy about a mentally ill man falling in love with a strange woman is a much better film than the first Shrek. Here are reasons why:

1) The story is more believable. I mean, Shrek was completely unrealistic with talking donkeys and such.

2) Shrek wore a vest. A VEST! That makes him a fascist!

3) Wouldn't you rather get PUNCH DRUNKED than SHREKED?

Jeebus, this is just like when I have to explain to people that Taxi Driver is way more superior to the Freaky Friday remake."
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Chest Rockwell

I figured he was trying to be funny...But the fact he says jeebus does point to some stupidity.

Born Under Punches

After walking out of Independence Day:

Teenage Girl:  What a cool movie?  I wonder how they blew up the White House and put it back together.

Teenage Boy:  I don't know.  I heard that it was a true story.

Teenage Girl:  Really?

Me: (chewing on the hosepipe of a Mac Truck)

Wow! This thread's starting to pile up some demented anecdotes!     As for me,  I have a friend who didn't wanted to go watch a movie with us because she gets tired after reading subtitles for a while.
context, context, context.

El Duderino

upon watching "The Fog of War" last night with some relatives, my aunt said: "This movie was bland and that old man looks like Donald Rumsfeld"

:evil:
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Pas

This thread is really funny because it features a lot of moment like :
"I am cool
-Have you seen 'X semi-obscure/old movie' ?
-No but I've seen 'X really mainstream/new movie'"

Pubrick

i tend to forget stupid things ppl say.

why would u hold onto it even for a second.
under the paving stones.

meatball

During Troy, anonymous asshole was heckling the screen for three hours.

During a fight,
"Who put a rock there?!"

Delanis

Guy: I mean, "The Hours" was a great fuckin' movie and all. Acting, directing, whatever. But man, I should not have seen it in a movie theatre. I mean, if I go to a movie theatre I wanna see some fuckin' action, y'know? (He kinda rambles on and on about action stuff)

Me: You wanna see shit blown up?

Guy: Yeah, basically. I wanna see stuff happening. I wanna see the big fuckin' alien killing people, and then fuckin' missiles being shot at it. (rambles, yet again)

Me: So, does that mean you wouldn't watch "The Godfather" in a theatre?

Guy: Basically

Me:...

Guy: Actually, you know what? "The Godfather" has some violence, so I'd probably watch it.

Delanis

Another guy. Swear to fucking god, this was the sequence.

Guy: I don't know. I just don't like Tarantino. He just isn't real, you know. He's just way too fake for me...  You know that movie, um, "Pulp Fiction"? Who did that?

Me: Tarantino

Guy: Yeah... Who did that "Jackie Brown"?

Me: Tarantino

Guy: Yeah, I really liked that one, but only that one of his.

Me: Have you ever seen "Reservoir Dogs"?

Guy: No

Another time same guy later on, we were talking about great actors:

Me: Have you ever seen "Lost In Translation"?

Guy: No

Me: Well, I think that Bill Murray is just so, so good in that movie. I think he's always been really fuckin great.

Guy: Yeah, I don't know. I think Bill Murray has had his time. He's expired.

matt35mm

Quote from: DelanisGuy: I don't know. I just don't like Tarantino. He just isn't real, you know. He's just way too fake for me...
He was probably refering to Tarantino as a person (or how he appears in public, his persona).  A lot of people like Tarantino's movies but think he acts kinda dickish.

... Not... that I... condone what he said.

Delanis

QuoteHe was probably refering to Tarantino as a person (or how he appears in public, his persona). A lot of people like Tarantino's movies but think he acts kinda dickish.

No, he was talking about his movies. I (after this sequence) asked him and he said he didn't like his movies.

This gave me a weird feeling(s) of pity and contempt. How can he say he doesn't like Tarantino's movies when he's only seen one(and he liked the damn thing)?

rustinglass

in a library. this annoying chick come over just to tease me. I swear to god.

her:"so when are you making your film?"
me:"I don't know, the band's splitting up." (I was supposed to make a documentary on these guys.....)
her: "then you can make those disgusting fillms your always talking about"
me (put on sarcastic voice): actually I just saw a brilliant japanese film, where they get these teenagers on a deserted island and force them to kill eachother."
her ~(out of nothing related whatsoever) "have you seen van wilder?
m: no.
her: it's my favourite film, you should be more like van wilder, all he ever does is going to parties."
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica