The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin

Maybe it was a Freudian slip on theat person's part. Anyway, instead of rolling your eyes and throwing your hands up in frustration, what's wrong with politely correcting the person? Saying, "It was Arthur Clark that wrote "2001"? "Contact" was based on Carl Sagan's work"? I've had great conversations with people who were "wrong" about certain movies and actors. They were interested and wanted to know more.

And it is "snobbery" when condesention towards the 'ignorant' person is involved.

Could've been a slip, but it's beyond that, you really had to hear him. I maintain that he was stupid. And I probably am a snob. I hate stupid people being stupid, especially when it comes to movies.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: GamblorI hate stupid people being stupid, especially when it comes to movies.

But you do realize there are people in this world that are not as passionate about movies as you/we are, right? I mean, why fault those because they haven't as many films and aren't as film knowledgeable as you? Am I gonna look down on my family and friends because they like a movie I don't, or vice versa? No. I've seen many movies to see cliches in them when they arise. My family hasn't. They don't know or care who directed what film. If they see something new in a film they haven't seen before, who am I to mess with that? I mean, we all are looking for that new, groundbreaking experience we get from that rare film, right? This is our field of interest and study, so of course we are gonna know more about it than the average moviegoer. I'm sure a mechanic would laugh at me for not knowing anything about a car.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: RegularKarateI would say that you must have been in some kind of geek bar if they all got that passionate about The Matrix..

..LOL!!!!.. i know.. right!

Banky

Quote from: GamblorI hate stupid people being stupid, especially when it comes to movies.

But you do realize there are people in this world that are not as passionate about movies as you/we are, right? I mean, why fault those because they haven't as many films and aren't as film knowledgeable as you? Am I gonna look down on my family and friends because they like a movie I don't, or vice versa? No. I've seen many movies to see cliches in them when they arise. My family hasn't. They don't know or care who directed what film. If they see something new in a film they haven't seen before, who am I to mess with that? I mean, we all are looking for that new, groundbreaking experience we get from that rare film, right? This is our field of interest and study, so of course we are gonna know more about it than the average moviegoer. I'm sure a mechanic would laugh at me for not knowing anything about a car.

excellent post

Ravi

Great post.

It is annoying when people claim to be (insert subject) buffs and don't know that much more about it than the average person.

Pas

Quote from: GamblorYou're right, Fight Club is a good movie, Kevin Smith has made some ehh ok movies, but when people obsessively glorify either of them, it tends to reveal (to me) a little bit more of their personality, and that I should stay away from them

Damn ! You must not have too many friends. I mean, most of my friends are into American Pie and Brett Ratner. Why should I care, they're nice people anyway.

Banky

Quote from: GamblorYou're right, Fight Club is a good movie, Kevin Smith has made some ehh ok movies, but when people obsessively glorify either of them, it tends to reveal (to me) a little bit more of their personality, and that I should stay away from them (simply because I understand why they are, but that's a whole other topic).

while were beating up on Gamblor, if any of us based people we hang around because of thier preference in movies, i think many of us would be pretty lonely

SoNowThen

Yes, I know I am quite lonely, and I certainly do that.

Just to defend Gamblor for a quick second: the thing that's annoying about people who don't love movies as much as us is when they assume they know as much/more than us when it comes to movies.

Like when someone told me that Fight Club "was stupid, was poorly done, and the ending didn't make sense". I had to say to him that he may not have liked it (which is perfectly valid), but that it was actually quite technically amazing, and made sense if you thought about it for a sec, and watched it again. Then the guy said "movies that you have to watch more than once are stupid". Again, I had to say maybe he didn't like watching movies more than once, but that it was a commonly held belief that only the best movies hold up to multiple viewings...

anyway, you get my point. When people insist they know shit I know for a fact they don't even care about -- well that qualifies as Stupid Things People Say.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be....
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gamblour.

Guys, guys. MacGuffin, yeah you're right. But I'm not talking about the average guy. I'm talking about the guy in the movie line in Annie Hall, talking about Fellinni. I'm talking about Fakes and sciolists. I'm talking about a guy who is bragging he's heard of 2001, written by Carl Sagan.

Did I ever say I based my friends on what movies they like? Look, if someone goes on and on about how Fight Club is the best movie in the world because it's cool and stylized and they understood the symoblism and existential view behind it, I'm going to learn something about them, say, on an instinctual level. If they think Kevin Smith is the funniest movie-maker ever, I'll understand they haven't seen much. I don't have a treehouse club of Fight Club/Kevin Smith haters; those were just random examples of things that get, as I previously said, "obsessively glorified," I could've used Donnie Darko or Guy Ritchie instead. See ya.
WWPTAD?

cine

Quote from: GamblorI'm talking about the guy in the movie line in Annie Hall, talking about Fellini. I'm talking about Fakes and sciolists. I'm talking about a guy who is bragging he's heard of 2001, written by Carl Sagan.

Holy shit, perfect analogy. Hilarious scene that leaves me crying. And yeah, I hate people like that. I wonder if he was a mechanic...

RegularKarate

Quote from: GamblorI'm talking about the guy in the movie line in Annie Hall, talking about Fellini. I'm talking about Fakes and sciolists. I'm talking about a guy who is bragging he's heard of 2001, written by Carl Sagan.

Quote from: CinephileHoly shit, perfect analogy. Hilarious scene that leaves me crying. And yeah, I hate people like that.

It's not really a "perfect analogy", but I know what he's trying to say, but what the fuck is THIS supposed to mean?:

Quote from: CinephileI wonder if he was a mechanic...

SoNowThen

I think it's a reference to this:

Quote from: MacGuffinI'm sure a mechanic would laugh at me for not knowing anything about a car.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

good spot... I guess I should have reread the thread... I thought he was being pompous.

pete

I got pretty annoyed/naseus when Joyce Kulhaywik went on Roger Ebert and said Gladiator succeeded on every level.
It also pisses me off when people call Do the Right Thing racist, such knee-jerk reaction.
or people dissing genres like animation and martial arts.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Quote from: peteI got pretty annoyed/naseus when Joyce Kulhaywik went on Roger Ebert and said Gladiator succeeded on every level.
More evidence that Joyce Kulhaywik is an idiot.  Gladiator is one of the worst best picture winners of recent history.  At least Ebert saw it for what it was.

And while I'm at it...

Quote from: GamblorLook, if someone goes on and on about how Fight Club is the best movie in the world because it's cool and stylized and they understood the symoblism and existential view behind it, I'm going to learn something about them, say, on an instinctual level.
Like what?

Quote from: GamblorIf they think Kevin Smith is the funniest movie-maker ever, I'll understand they haven't seen much.
Humor is subjective.  But name someone funnier.  Wes Anderson, Woody Allen, Paul Thomas Anderson.  But all of these guys' humor is highly subjective, and has hardly entered the mainstream.  Worse is, I'm betting not many people can think of any "mainstream" directors who are consistently funny besides Kevin Smith.

Quote from: GamblorI could've used Donnie Darko or Guy Ritchie instead. See ya.
Don't even go there.  Donnie Darko, like Fight Club, is one of the best movies ever.  There.  I said it.  Am I an idiot?  (Don't answer that.  :-D)  Guy Ritchie can't hold a candle to Richard Kelly, let alone any of the other guys we've mentioned.