The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

soixante

When four independent films were nominated for Best Picture in 1996 (Shine, Fargo, Secrets & Lies, English Patient), Michael Medved said it was a shame that such low-grossing, unpopular films got nominated.
Music is your best entertainment value.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: soixanteWhen four independent films were nominated for Best Picture in 1996 (Shine, Fargo, Secrets & Lies, English Patient), Michael Medved said it was a shame that such low-grossing, unpopular films got nominated.

I think we have a winner.

A Matter Of Chance

That was a winner.

Chinatown is like Lost In Translation -- a lot of bluster over nothing. I'm sure Polanski thought he was making some kind of statement with the film, but to me any meaningful theme being applied to Chinatown is mere artifice. It's not a terrible film but it's fairly vapid.

El Duderino

some woman said "Orlando Bloom deserves an oscar nod" after Troy :?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTRBlue Velvet is over-rated and Wild at Heart blew.
Quote from: Bankyi think he is really good but he gets over praised by some for intentionally going over the audiences head
Quote from: SHAFTRMy criticism for most of Lynch's work is that it has no soul, no feeling.

Quote from: anditoki didnt like the movie... yes i do think the directing was great... and i admire lynch... but i was hoping to see the movie and be very impressed.. like when i saw magnolia or punch drunk love, or the matrix, or many others...

i hated it!

Quote from: OnomatopitaAnd Blue Velvet was only a mess.

Quote from: coffeebeetleDavid Lynch sucks.
Quote from: Onomatopita about Lost HighwayAnother swing and a miss for Lynch.

Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacI'm glad someone started a thread on this movie. I think (like Mulholland Dr.) Lost Highway could have been a superb film, if only Lynch decided to give the audience a real story instead of self-indulgent, atmosphere/mood driven scenes with no real narrative.
i win!

ono

Not really, considering we all have incredibly valid points.  Lynch's art is so incredibly subjective, so not everyone kisses the ground he walks on.  I do give him credit for one thing, though - he challenges viewers, and the art of film itself.  He holds claim to these techniques used today.  He has made them mainstream.  No one can do this surrealist schtick without thinking someone's ripping off Lynch (because how dare someone call upon Maya Deren, Luis Bunuel, or Sergei Eisenstein?).  But still, he can't tell a story.  (Yeah, I've still only seen three of his flicks -- give it time.)  Lynch, like Greenaway, is at the same time horrible and fantastic at what he does.  And I both love them and hate them for it.

And you know, you're dredging up all this Lynch hate out of nowhere is kind of unfounded and, well, random.  I liked it better when you ranted about those annoying times when the doorbell rings and someone fists someone else with a handful of cheerios.  Or something.

Oh, and Chinatown sucks, so that's not an entirely stupid statement; the LiT bashing is, though.

Quote from: OnomatopitaNot really, considering we all have incredibly valid points.  Lynch's art is so incredibly subjective, so not everyone kisses the ground he walks on.  I do give him credit for one thing, though - he challenges viewers, and the art of film itself.  He holds claim to these techniques used today.  He has made them mainstream.  No one can do this surrealist schtick without thinking someone's ripping off Lynch (because how dare someone call upon Maya Deren, Luis Bunuel, or Sergei Eisenstein?).  But still, he can't tell a story.  (Yeah, I've still only seen three of his flicks -- give it time.)  Lynch, like Greenaway, is at the same time horrible and fantastic at what he does.  And I both love them and hate them for it.

And you know, you're dredging up all this Lynch hate out of nowhere is kind of unfounded and, well, random.  I liked it better when you ranted about those annoying times when the doorbell rings and someone fists someone else with a handful of cheerios.  Or something.

Oh, and Chinatown sucks, so that's not an entirely stupid statement; the LiT bashing is, though.

If we're going to put our imperative hats then: Chinatown doesn't sucks. Lynch is not a  bad director, nor is Greenaway.
context, context, context.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: OnomatopitaNot really, considering we all have incredibly valid points.  Lynch's art is so incredibly subjective, so not everyone kisses the ground he walks on.  I do give him credit for one thing, though - he challenges viewers, and the art of film itself.  He holds claim to these techniques used today.  He has made them mainstream.  No one can do this surrealist schtick without thinking someone's ripping off Lynch (because how dare someone call upon Maya Deren, Luis Bunuel, or Sergei Eisenstein?).  But still, he can't tell a story.  (Yeah, I've still only seen three of his flicks -- give it time.)  Lynch, like Greenaway, is at the same time horrible and fantastic at what he does.  And I both love them and hate them for it.

If we're going to put our imperative hats then: Chinatown doesn't sucks. Lynch is not a  bad director, nor is Greenaway.

Aw, I don't think Chinatown sucks.

modage

Quote from: OnomatopitaBut still, he can't tell a story.  (Yeah, I've still only seen three of his flicks -- give it time.)
you really should see some more before you say that.  maybe some of the more 'normal' ones like Elephant Man or Straight Story will give you a different outlook on Velvet, Mulholland, Highway, Eraserhead etc.  OR just do it the easy way and watch the first season of Twin Peaks, you'll be a convert immediately I SWEAR.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

coffeebeetle

Quotei win!

No offense, but this coming from someone who has a Lynch movie in their avatar...
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

A World Apart

In keeping consistent with this thread...ahem.
While in the theaters watching Titanic, there were two rather ditzy girls behind me. After the boat sank there dialogue was this:
"oh no, all those poor people"
"did this really happen?"

I reiterate...DID THIS REALLY HAPPEN?

and the clencher...the other responded..."i don't know"

and no, they weren't like 10 or something..more like 18.
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: A World ApartIn keeping consistent with this thread...ahem.
While in the theaters watching Titanic, there were two rather ditzy girls behind me. After the boat sank there dialogue was this:
"oh no, all those poor people"
"did this really happen?"

I reiterate...DID THIS REALLY HAPPEN?

and the clencher...the other responded..."i don't know"

and no, they weren't like 10 or something..more like 18.
Oh God that's sad...Here's one I heard the other day in a DVD store.
Woman (late 20's): Oh look. It's your movie.
(The Man that she was talking to picks up the "Honey" DVD)
Middle Aged Man: And look it's in full screen
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

BrainSushi

I recently went on a four-day field trip to Tampa and brought my entire DVD collection. A brief conversation with a fellow student went as follows:

Him: "Do you have Scarface?"
Me: "No."
Him: "Got the Godfather?"
Me: "No."
Him: "Man, you don't have any classics then."

A few months ago, I had a small conversation with one of my classmates, who is perhaps one of the BIGGEST film poseurs to have EVER walked the planet. It went something like this....

Him: "So Zach, see any good movies lately?"
Me: "Well, I watched American Splendor on DVD this weekend."
Him: "What's that?"
Me: "Um... it's based off a comic book. It has Paul Giamatti in it."
Him: "Never heard of it."
Me: "Oh. Well, I also saw Big Fish recently."
Him: "Who's in that?"
Me: "Uh, Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney."
Him: ::shakes head in an 'I dunno' fashion::
Me: Um, did you see Mystic River?
Him: "Hm, no, haven't heard of that. Did you see You Got Served?"

UncleJoey

For an intro to film, tv and radio class, we watched Startup.com during the independent film unit. I heard this while exiting the screening room:

Random Douchebag: Why would they pick that movie? It sucked! They should have shown The Blair Witch Project. That was like the best independent film ever made.

Good lord . . .
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.