Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

Jeremy Blackman

This movie just keeps getting more boring and more boring. Am I missing something?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThis movie just keeps getting more boring and more boring. Am I missing something?

I figured I'd wait until I saw it before comment.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Myxo

Quote from: P
Quote from: CinephileIf Chasing Amy didn't prove it, this movie will prove that Kevin Smith can write.
hey one good movie a decade is not bad. i just hope every character in this movie doesn't explain what they're doing, what they've just done, and what they're gonna do in the next scene, using too many adjectives and in the end winking at the camera, jesus christ if they do that we will know he hasn't changed a bit.

I remember watching Hulk for the first time.

[Hulk breaks out of his cage]

"He's breaking out!!!"

MacGuffin

Kevin Smith: Money Back If Dissatisfied

Hollywood director Kevin Smith is so confident his latest movie Jersey Girl is a masterpiece, he's offering a ticket refund to anyone dissatisfied with it. Smith, who directs Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez in the film, claims Affleck has given the performance of his life in the forthcoming movie. But he does admit to worrying about how the critical and commercial mauling given to the ex-couple's last film, Gigli, will affect the box-office takings of Jersey Girl. Smith says, "After Gigli, I was, like, 'Oh man - our jobs just got much harder.' But it's not Gigli 2: Bennifer Strikes Back. We're a comeback picture. Affleck has never been as good as he is here. If you're not satisfied, I'd be willing to stand at the door of theaters and be like, 'You don't have to pay.'"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffinKevin Smith: Money Back If Dissatisfied

Hollywood director Kevin Smith is so confident his latest movie Jersey Girl is a masterpiece, he's offering a ticket refund to anyone dissatisfied with it. Smith, who directs Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez in the film, claims Affleck has given the performance of his life in the forthcoming movie. But he does admit to worrying about how the critical and commercial mauling given to the ex-couple's last film, Gigli, will affect the box-office takings of Jersey Girl. Smith says, "After Gigli, I was, like, 'Oh man - our jobs just got much harder.' But it's not Gigli 2: Bennifer Strikes Back. We're a comeback picture. Affleck has never been as good as he is here. If you're not satisfied, I'd be willing to stand at the door of theaters and be like, 'You don't have to pay.'"

I don't know how true this is.  Nothing of it has been mentioned on his official site or message board.

Ernie

The trailer reminds me of a John Hughes movie. This is a good thing.

Banky

i think that shit might be bullshit

edit: it was taken from Entertainment Weekly so it might be true

Ghostboy

I just got back from seeing it. Technically, I shouldn't like it. It's kinda sloppy (like all his movies, in that charming way, only with really nice photography this time), very formulaic, kinda bland. His portrayal of women, personified in Liv Tyler's character, is like a thirteen year old boy's fantasy of a mature woman -- very smart, sweet, caring, and also ready to have sympathy sex at the drop of a hat. This is definitely a guy's movie.

But that's also why it kinda works, and why it's sweetness won me over. This is like Smith's love letter to his daughter -- you know that Ben Affleck and Raquel Castro are surrogate for Kevin and  his little girl, and that recognition makes the film far more poignant. There's some really good material between them (the last shot especially).

Smith's edginess pops up every now and then, especially in the school play at the end, which is just ridiculous but also incredibly delightful. I won't spoil what happens. There are also a few cameos that I won't ruin.

I think the movie's been chopped to hell -- test screenings reported a two hour plus running time, but the print I saw was about ninety minutes. There's an opening bookend that you can tell was added just to expedite J Lo's exit from the film. Normally I'd call foul on Harvey's part (speaking of Harvey, wait till you see the hilariously blatant Miramax product placement in the video store Liv Tyler works at, which has more copies of Mimic and Copland than I've ever seen before), but I'm willing to believe that the movie might have dragged if it lasted another forty minutes.

Overall, a mild recommendation. If you liked Family Man, you'll like this.

Hmmm, I just compared Kevin Smith to Brett Ratner.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyHis portrayal of women, personified in Liv Tyler's character, is like a thirteen year old boy's fantasy of a mature woman -- very smart, sweet, caring, and also ready to have sympathy sex at the drop of a hat.
Oh God, he really is John Hughes for the new millenium.

Quote from: GhostboyHmmm, I just compared Kevin Smith to Brett Ratner.
Excellent.

SHAFTR

Quote from: GhostboyI just got back from seeing it. Technically, I shouldn't like it. It's kinda sloppy (like all his movies, in that charming way, only with really nice photography this time), very formulaic, kinda bland. His portrayal of women, personified in Liv Tyler's character, is like a thirteen year old boy's fantasy of a mature woman -- very smart, sweet, caring, and also ready to have sympathy sex at the drop of a hat. This is definitely a guy's movie.

But that's also why it kinda works, and why it's sweetness won me over. This is like Smith's love letter to his daughter -- you know that Ben Affleck and Raquel Castro are surrogate for Kevin and  his little girl, and that recognition makes the film far more poignant. There's some really good material between them (the last shot especially).

Smith's edginess pops up every now and then, especially in the school play at the end, which is just ridiculous but also incredibly delightful. I won't spoil what happens. There are also a few cameos that I won't ruin.

I think the movie's been chopped to hell -- test screenings reported a two hour plus running time, but the print I saw was about ninety minutes. There's an opening bookend that you can tell was added just to expedite J Lo's exit from the film. Normally I'd call foul on Harvey's part (speaking of Harvey, wait till you see the hilariously blatant Miramax product placement in the video store Liv Tyler works at, which has more copies of Mimic and Copland than I've ever seen before), but I'm willing to believe that the movie might have dragged if it lasted another forty minutes.

Overall, a mild recommendation. If you liked Family Man, you'll like this.

Hmmm, I just compared Kevin Smith to Brett Ratner.

I'm a huge Smith fan, as most of you know.  For some reason I am really worried about this picture.  Chasing Amy worked for me, beautifully.  I just hope Jersey Girl does to as well.  The problems I had with Chasing Amy was the vulgar sometimes seemed out of place, I hope this clears it up.  Man, your review hasn't lessened or increased my worry.

Ghostboy

Also of note: the first song in the movie is by a certain Mrs. Aimee Mann.  Coincidence? This cannot be one of those things...this, please, cannot be that.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyAlso of note: the first song in the movie is by a certain Mrs. Aimee Mann.  Coincidence? This cannot be one of those things...this, please, cannot be that.
NO FUCKING WAY!!!  what a hypocrite!  :roll:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Knowing Smith, he probably did it because a) it remotely fit and b) he knew it'd get that sort of reaction out of Magnolia fans.  He has that kind of sense of humor.

nix

Quote from: GhostboyAlso of note: the first song in the movie is by a certain Mrs. Aimee Mann.  Coincidence? This cannot be one of those things...this, please, cannot be that.

One of the best posts ever.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

ono

Kevin Smith makes me giggle.

Smith: Affleck's Hair Is Real
Film-maker Kevin Smith has hit out at reports his pal Ben Affleck is going bald. Smith, who has worked with Affleck on such projects as Dogma, Chasing Amy and the upcoming film Jersey Girl, insists the former fiance of Jennifer Lopez has all his own hair. He says, "That is totally the man's natural hair. We were shooting Jersey Girl, and I came in one day and was like, 'Dude, I read on the net last night that you don't have real hair - that you got into a bar brawl with Vince Vaughn and he pulled your wig piece off.' And he was like, 'I haven't seen Vince Vaughn in two years. Let alone in the bar. Let alone do I have fake hair.'"
~IMDb.com

Silly IMDb.com.