Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Kevin Smith's best days are behind him. He's becoming a more commercial filmmaker and letting the best part of his writing take a back seat. His ID in writing was matching his brand of humor to reveal the characters. With Chasing Amy, he showed the limitations of men who displayed their personality with crude humor. He didn't circle the drama, but delved into the world of these men and allowed for their crude humor to encompass the story, making it an organically whole film. With Jersey Girl, his first serious film since Chasing Amy, his humor and wit stays on the sidelines. It just pushes along a conventional story to keep a few laughs going so general audience will easily react at least some of the film if they don't love it all. Some of the one liners are really good, but it doesn't result in much of a film.

modage

i kind of agree with your review but dont you think its possible kevin smiths best days could still be IN FRONT of him?  like, he hasnt quite figured out how to balance his humor with a real story for a really great movie yet, but dont you think he might figure it out?  he seems to be taking steps towards it, who knows he might get there, huh?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02i kind of agree with your review but dont you think its possible kevin smiths best days could still be IN FRONT of him?  like, he hasnt quite figured out how to balance his humor with a real story for a really great movie yet, but dont you think he might figure it out?  he seems to be taking steps towards it, who knows he might get there, huh?

Hah, he might. But, he's doing The Green Hornet next so it'll have to wait. Oh, and I hear he's doing a Fletch movie after that, so again, wait. I then heard he wants to do yet another Jay and Silent Bob film so again, wait. His career hardly seems a progress to me. Mainly, he writes comedies that at best have a unique flair to them and and his fluke, Chasing Amy, was a great film.

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetKevin Smith's best days are behind him. He's becoming a more commercial filmmaker and letting the best part of his writing take a back seat. His ID in writing was matching his brand of humor to reveal the characters. With Chasing Amy, he showed the limitations of men who displayed their personality with crude humor. He didn't circle the drama, but delved into the world of these men and allowed for their crude humor to encompass the story, making it an organically whole film. With Jersey Girl, his first serious film since Chasing Amy, his humor and wit stays on the sidelines. It just pushes along a conventional story to keep a few laughs going so general audience will easily react at least some of the film if they don't love it all. Some of the one liners are really good, but it doesn't result in much of a film.

would you agree that Dogma is a serious film?
would you also agree that the only indie (non commercial) film he ever did was Clerks?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Stefen

Chasing Amy was indie. It had miramax prints on it I think, but it was still indie as far as im concerned.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Banky

I dont think Amy was a independent.  Mirimax directly funded that movie from the very begining.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: BankyI dont think Amy was a independent.  Mirimax directly funded that movie from the very begining.

Yeah, but with a $250,000 budget, we have to call it indie, I think... Personally, I don't think that even the Miramax logo can put the "indieness" of the film in question  8)
Si

Raikus

Alright, first off I really enjoyed this movie. More than I actually thought I would. I'm a Smith fan, sure, but this was so distanced from his typical MO that I thought it would play as a movie with a spoonful of Smith in it.

I think I have nailed down what others have said about liking this movie but not really knowing why--it's the film's sincerity. This movie wasn't Smith Lite, it was a complete reworking of his style because, forgive me, he finally had something personal to say. So it wasn't baseless dialogue and pop culture filler, it was a story--not driven by plot, but evoking the character's emotions and feelings.

99% of the time you could take this same plot and the movie would be complete shite. And I guess, if you have a torch to burn and really don't give the characters a chance to emote to you, the movie might fall into that same percentile. But the movie really worked for me because the characters worked for me. Biggest surprise, beside the newcomer tike, was Tyler's performance. I've always found her too mousy and whiny to be effective but she really bucked up and controlled her performance. Affleck was... likeable (which is getting harder and harder to realize) and for what she was in, Lopez was pretty believable (and I certainly and not one of her fans).

Basically the secret to seeing this movie is to completely throw out that you're going to see a movie by the guy who brought you Clerks and Chasing Amy. Instead, realize you're going to see a movie from the guy who got married, had a child and lost his father. You're seeing a one-piece that's reflective of his new view of life--where dick jokes and homosexual connotations take a back seat to sentimentality with a family focus.

I don't see how people can't get into the characters on the screen, but maybe it's the situations I'm going through in my life that make me more susceptible to the film's focus. There were one to many montages for sure (montages in a Smith movie--now I've seen it all), but like Ghost Boy, what would normally be a very cheesy ending had me smiling throughout.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetKevin Smith's best days are behind him. He's becoming a more commercial filmmaker and letting the best part of his writing take a back seat. His ID in writing was matching his brand of humor to reveal the characters. With Chasing Amy, he showed the limitations of men who displayed their personality with crude humor. He didn't circle the drama, but delved into the world of these men and allowed for their crude humor to encompass the story, making it an organically whole film. With Jersey Girl, his first serious film since Chasing Amy, his humor and wit stays on the sidelines. It just pushes along a conventional story to keep a few laughs going so general audience will easily react at least some of the film if they don't love it all. Some of the one liners are really good, but it doesn't result in much of a film.

would you agree that Dogma is a serious film?
would you also agree that the only indie (non commercial) film he ever did was Clerks?

I wouldn't agree Dogma is a serious film. I think it plays off a serious subject, but still very much comedy. I think Clerks is Kevin Smith's only indie film if you looked at production means and costs only. I'd say Chasing Amy had an indie spirit made to it unlike Jersey Girl.

Fernando

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: themodernage02i kind of agree with your review but dont you think its possible kevin smiths best days could still be IN FRONT of him?  like, he hasnt quite figured out how to balance his humor with a real story for a really great movie yet, but dont you think he might figure it out?  he seems to be taking steps towards it, who knows he might get there, huh?

Hah, he might. But, he's doing The Green Hornet next so it'll have to wait. Oh, and I hear he's doing a Fletch movie after that, so again, wait. I then heard he wants to do yet another Jay and Silent Bob film so again, wait.

Isn't he adapting a children's book after TGH? Maybe Banky can confirm this.

Raikus

The only other project I've heard about not mentioned here is "Ranger Danger and the Danger Rangers." There's not much known about it other than  it's sci-fi and the title. What childrens title have you heard about Fernando?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Banky

all i have heard is that first off is GH then immediatley after that Fletch Won and those two are set in stone.  Other than that he has mentioned doing another jay and bob flick and doing his take on sci fi wich is Ranger Dangers and the Danger Rangers.  Funny though because there has been a lot of talk doing Jay and Bob in space so maybe the two ideas will be mushed together.

Fernando

I could swear read it somewhere (Children's book adaption), but just can't find it, IIRC he said his wife loves that book and she was convincing him to do it, I think he didn't mentioned the name of the book.

I thought it was Joblo's recent int. but he didn't mentioned it, nor the Q&A of his site, I'll try to find it.

Hell, maybe I'm mixing someone else's news with KS.