Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

Pubrick

this thread is a goddamn time warp.

Quote from: P from this same threadanyway, only Clerks and Chasing Amy were good and rewatchable to a degree.
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

What makes Chasing Amy better then other romantic-comedys? Never thought it was that great.

Cecil

Quote from: Sigur RósWhat makes Chasing Amy better then other romantic-comedys? Never thought it was that great.

same here. his films just keep getting worst and worst. im waiting to see if jersey girl will be an exception

SHAFTR

Perhaps Smith is an acquired taste?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

phil marlowe

this thread is going nowhere. i liked the girl fight talk so much better.

whos up for GTtail twisting.

children with angels

On a different topic...

Could someone explain to me exactly what the deal is between Smith and PTA? What went on between them? Is it just that "Magnolia Fan" stuff in Jay and Silent Bob?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Raikus

What are you talking about? They loooove each other. So much so that Kevin even made his website into a PTA forum for a while: http://www.newsaskew.com/pta/index.shtml
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: P from this same threadthis thread is a goddamn time warp.

Ernie

Quote from: RaikusWhat are you talking about? They loooove each other. So much so that Kevin even made his website into a PTA forum for a while: http://www.newsaskew.com/pta/index.shtml

Oh my god...did Kevin Smith actually spend all that time on that site just to make fun of PTA some more? Wow, what a fucking child. I'm sorry, I reluctantly let all that stuff he said about Magnolia go and still had respect for him after reading his review of it, to each his own...he deserves to have an opinion on the movie after all...so I gave him that...but this? This is bullshit, seriously. I've lost all the respect I had left for him...that's so stupid. PTA didn't even respond to Smith's Magnolia bashing and he goes and does this? For what? What a baby!

I still look at him as a good filmmaker but...PTA is and forever will be better. I'm not saying that just because of this whole thing...I've always thought that, who can argue that? Smith is a writer w/ a camera, not a filmmaker...he can write...but PTA even outshines him in that category. Smith's fast, hip dialogue is awesome sometimes but it can be annoying...PTA's is ALWAYS cool...it's more realistic too.

Whatever...that just pissed me off though.

Cecil

does anyone know what smith thinks of pta's other films? did he even see pdl?

Ernie

Quote from: cecil b. dementeddoes anyone know what smith thinks of pta's other films? did he even see pdl?

I read about him being a fan of Boogie Nights. In his Magnolia review I think it was, he said something like...I'll take Boogie Nights anyday, but this fucking sucks!

He posted on his site that he was really looking forward to PDL. I bet he's seen it, I don't know what he thought of it though.

Raikus

Quote from: ebeaman69
Quote from: RaikusWhat are you talking about? They loooove each other. So much so that Kevin even made his website into a PTA forum for a while: http://www.newsaskew.com/pta/index.shtml

Oh my god...did Kevin Smith actually spend all that time on that site just to make fun of PTA some more? Wow, what a fucking child. I'm sorry, I reluctantly let all that stuff he said about Magnolia go and still had respect for him after reading his review of it, to each his own...he deserves to have an opinion on the movie after all...so I gave him that...but this? This is bullshit, seriously. I've lost all the respect I had left for him...that's so stupid. PTA didn't even respond to Smith's Magnolia bashing and he goes and does this? For what? What a baby!

That was an April Fools joke done by the webmasters of NewsAskew.com right around the whole time of the PTA hubub.

I think it was meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote from: cecildoes anyone know what smith thinks of pta's other films? did he even see pdl?

"What the fucks you beef with P.T.?" – Mr. Rio

KS: (laughing) I got no beef with P.T.! I mean it’s so nice to be asked that question in a forum that you can actually address it. I’m a huge fan of BOOGIE NIGHTS – I’ve bought every version of BOOGIE NIGHTS that exists: on laserdisc, on DVD - both versions on DVD. I’m a big BOOGIE NIGHTS fan, just wasn’t much of a MAGNOLIA fan. And you know that’ll probably change. Because that movie doesn’t bore me to tears every frame of it.

Like I think there’s wonderful stuff in it – the Tom Cruise stuff is really great, I could watch that over and over again. Not so much the "respect the cock" stuff, but when he sits down for the interview, like that stuff is really kind of powerful. It’s just what I felt when I saw it was that there was a lot of flab on that movie.

He's also said that he's bumped into PTA before and he was really nice, classy and they both professed to like each other's work. So really, there's no tension between them at all, it's just all the hype the fans threw into the mix.
-------------------
As for PDL specifically, he listed it on his top ten list for last year:

Kevin Smith's Top 10 Movies of 2002  
1. The Piano Teacher
2. Y Tu Mamá También
3. Far From Heaven
4. The Hours
5. Bowling for Columbine
6. Punch-Drunk Love
7. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
8. The Lady and the Duke
9. 8 Women
10. Late Marriage
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SHAFTR

NewsAskew.com isn't run by Kevin Smith or his company.
So in all likelyhood, he wasn't even aware of that until he went to the site that day and saw it.

ViewAskew.com is his company's website.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ernie

Quote from: SHAFTRNewsAskew.com isn't run by Kevin Smith or his company.
So in all likelyhood, he wasn't even aware of that until he went to the site that day and saw it.

ViewAskew.com is his company's website.

Alright, then I take back what I said...it's still not cool though. They could have at least made it funny.

Anyway, it's cool to see PDL on Smith's top 10 list, as well as Y Tu Mama Tambien...I'd like to read what he had to say about them.

Gold Trumpet

Kevin Smith is disagreeable on the terms he is given millions of dollars to make movies but yet does very little with the money. At best, his movies are minor successes or funny on first viewing. Then the whole thing of further thought placed into viewing his movies and it all becomes a headache. I like the show Dinner for Five and Jon Favreau, but was dumbfounded by his directorial debut (I think) Made. It was an idea that was sophmorish to begin with but repeated itself with a story that seemed to be liable for mismanagament of the money given to him to actually make the film. If it didn't have Vince Vaughn being insulting all the time, nothing would exist. The Kevin Smith movies reminds me of this movie and my problem with it.

~rougerum