Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

Ernie

Quote from: ewardmatrix takes itself way too seriously.  i honestly never enjoyed the first one, and have never even seen reloaded, i doubt ill see revolutions, but hey, you never know.  i loved kill bill tho.  so much so much so much fun.

Yea, that's really what it is. It thinks it's so clever and brilliant and I just can't take that smugness. It reminds me of Fight Club in that way. Kill Bill is beautiful and haunting and the effort it took to achieve all that isn't even obvious...it's more subtle. The violence and the humor is far from subtle, it's in your face as can be...but the sincerity (is that a word) of it is less obvious. It's not as smug.

A Matter Of Chance

yeah... the matrix is much to "meaningful" and it keeps trying to state its messages and nagging them into your skull... I don't know if I am right

Ernie

I had no idea so many people didn't like the Matrix. I'm glad, I've really been holding back on what I think of it.

Banky

I think everyone needs to come down from thier "Kill Bill" high they are currently running on.

neatahwanta

Steve McQueen's ghost

Hey Banky, I've read a good number of your posts over the last month and I find myself agreeing with you more often than dissagreeing. I can only guess that you're a Matrix fan and that's fine. I just don't buy the hype. Also I don't buy Reeves as Neo. It's like casting J Lo to play Joan of Arc, it just doesn't work! Need more examples? Tom Hanks to play Dirty Harry, Will Smith to play James West....... oh wait.... they did that. Damn that was stupid. As far as the Kill Bill high we are riding? WE'VE BEEN WAITING 6 FREAKING YEARS FOR THIS GUY TO GIVE US A MOVIE. IT'S ONLY BEEN OUT A FEW DAYS. GIVE US A BREAK. We love us some QT!!!
BTW, KB kiss ass! Matrix licks ass. Woo Hoo!!

©brad

enough w/ this matrix sucks/kill bill is better shit. 2 different movies, two different contexts, too many film nerds bitching about nothing.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: ebeamanI had no idea so many people didn't like the Matrix. I'm glad, I've really been holding back on what I think of it.

Me too, and it kind of felt good to vent.

Steve McQueen's ghost

Hell yeah it feels good to vent.

Hey Bad, It's a free country and I'll make talk about whatever I want.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

And another thing, who are you to call us film nerds? I mean, what the fuck are you doing here? The pot and the kettle! You're a film nerd too.

LOL!!!! :-)

Banky

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostHey Banky, I've read a good number of your posts over the last month and I find myself agreeing with you more often than dissagreeing. I can only guess that you're a Matrix fan and that's fine. I just don't buy the hype. Also I don't buy Reeves as Neo. It's like casting J Lo to play Joan of Arc, it just doesn't work! Need more examples? Tom Hanks to play Dirty Harry, Will Smith to play James West....... oh wait.... they did that. Damn that was stupid. As far as the Kill Bill high we are riding? WE'VE BEEN WAITING 6 FREAKING YEARS FOR THIS GUY TO GIVE US A MOVIE. IT'S ONLY BEEN OUT A FEW DAYS. GIVE US A BREAK. We love us some QT!!!
BTW, KB kiss ass! Matrix licks ass. Woo Hoo!!

its not even that im a huge fan of the matrix, i mean i kinda am, but thats not whats bullshit.  I just think your "Im Buck" quote was full of shit.  The Matrix is on a whole nother level of depth.  While kill bill is good it is mostly an action driven film with little plot at all.  Bitch all you want but i believe most will agree Kill Bill was a great, fun, visual flick with enough of a plot just to keep the movie going.

nix

my brief 2 cents on the Matrix/Kill Bill debate:

The first Matrix mixed fresh, breathtaking action with and involving story. I overlooked the bad acting, and sometimes stupid dialogue:

Neo: What are sentenals?
Dozer: Killing machenes designed for one thing... (killing?)
Trinity: Search and destroy. (Oh, I would've guessed killing. Silly me.)

The second Matrix had way too much obvious cgi, even worse dialogue, went way too far with the philosophy jargon, but still delivered with the fight scenes.

Kill Bill knocked my dick in the dirt. Period. The ammount of love that went into every frame of that movie just makes me want to cream.

Honestly, I think comparing the fight scenes of the respective films is kinda like comparing apples and oranges. Yeah, they had the same fight coreographer, but they are fundamentally different.

Summation: The first Matrix was very good, the second one was so-so, and Kill Bill is pure movie magic.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

MacGuffin

Just got back from seeing it and I first have to address this pointless Matrix/Kill Bill comparison. Besides the same fight choreographer, the two films do not warrant being compared to! They are two totally different films, with the action being the sub-genre. Matrix has it's roots in Sci-Fi, KB in Drama. To focus only on the action scenes is a disservice to both films and the respective stories they are telling. The action isn't even similar. There is no point in comparing the films! And to continue to do so will only dampen a fresh slate of those who have yet to see KB, as they will go in thinking they will see Matrix action.

*SPOILERS*

Well, my first reation is that I was somewhat disappointed. I missed some of that brilliant QT writing. I didn't exit the theater reciting memorable dialogue like I did with his other films. The broken structure didn't seem to work with this film. And I felt that it didn't need to broken into two films, it would have played fine straight through. Some of the music kinda overpowered and undercut the action that was going on.

While I did enjoy the fights, I felt that GoGo's death was a cop-out. You create a tough character, and she gets the drop on our hero, but, oh wait, there just happens to be a piece of wood with nails in it. I felt that her death didn't match the power of her character and was an easy way out.

Praise, however, to Uma. She played the character with great embodiment. The scene after she wakes and realizes the baby is gone was so stunning for her acting. The anime sequence was very riveting. Daryl Hannah's entrance was perfect.

Overall, I will see it again and did get hooked by the cliffhanger, but as of now I feel KB didn't top his other films.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostHell yeah it feels good to vent.

Hey Bad, It's a free country and I'll make talk about whatever I want.

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!

And another thing, who are you to call us film nerds? I mean, what the fuck are you doing here? The pot and the kettle! You're a film nerd too.

LOL!!!! :-)
Okay so this is a perfect time to ask again about this guy's age. Does anyone know what it really is?

nix

I think I've finally decided that I'm glad he split it in two. Lots of people (including Quentin himself) have said that you need a breather after the house of blue leaves, and I think that's true. The cliffhanger is perfect. I agree that it doesn't quite feel like a whole movie ( which was inevitable, I guess), but it's got me frothing at the mouth for Febuary.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Banky

Quote from: MacGuffin

*SPOILERS*

Well, my first reation is that I was somewhat disappointed. I missed some of that brilliant QT writing. I didn't exit the theater reciting memorable dialogue like I did with his other films. The broken structure didn't seem to work with this film.
Overall, I will see it again and did get hooked by the cliffhanger, but as of now I feel KB didn't top his other films.

not to go down on Guff or anything but i really agree with this.  I didnt think the non linear story structure was at all nescessary and i felt after leaving that QT is clinging to that being "his thing."  Also with the dialogue i felt the same although for some reason i liked the "son number 1" thing.  Some scences went on to long and with the proper editing i think it would have worked as one film.  Will somone comment on the black and white sequence.  I really thought it was a cop out.