FINDING NEMO

Started by modage, May 30, 2003, 08:10:56 PM

MacGuffin

Pixar Talks The Incredibles And Cars

Cindy Pearlman spoke with Lee Unkrich, co-director of Finding Nemo:

Could there be a... "Toy Story 3?" "Monsters Inc. 2?" on the drawing board? Unkrich laughs and says, "We hear a lot of demand for 'Monsters 2,' but that's not on the list right now." He adds, "A lot of us at Pixar would love to do another 'Toy Story,' but there are no concrete plans."

What is cooking is "The Incredibles." "It's about a family of superheroes who go into the witness-protection program," says the director. "We're also working on 'Cars.' The main characters are cars and the whole thing takes place on Route 66."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin"We're also working on 'Cars.' The main characters are cars and the whole thing takes place on Route 66."

Sounds like a journey movie

NEON MERCURY

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: MacGuffin"We're also working on 'Cars.' The main characters are cars and the whole thing takes place on Route 66."

Sounds like a journey movie

Road movie  :yabbse-thumbdown:  :yabbse-thumbdown:  :yabbse-thumbdown:

ono

Some possible spoilers...

The key to a good movie?  Three good scenes, no bad ones.  Well, Finding Nemo had about five or six great scenes, and not a bad one in sight.  Great film.  Not one of the best of all time or anything, but definitely worth the $5.25 I shelled out on my ticket.

Some memorable scenes:

• The fishaholics anonymous meeting, and good ol' absent-minded Dory.  Remember, "fish are friends, not food."
  • The Fish Tank as a whole, really.  The sheer ingenuity the writers showed in thinking like fish, showing how they thought about busting out of there by clogging the filtering mechanism.
  • The scene where Marlin tells the turtles the story of how he's trying to find his son and it spreads all over the ocean.  Priceless.
  • Everything in the third act, really, from the scene in the dentists office (the priceless look of the kid on the couch in the waiting room), to again, the intelligent writers and their remembering established plot points, using the "swim down" mechanism so they'll save Dory.[/list:u]

chainsmoking insomniac

I agree. My gf dragged me to this movie, and I was quite embarassed when I left the theater--because I fucking LOVED this movie.  Disney, get the hell outta the way, because Pixar RULES.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

sphinx

mine mine mine mine

hahaha that seagull stuff is gold

modage

i loved all the stuff in the dentists office.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

More great stuff:

Dory trying to talk to the whale

The picture of the little girl with the braces

The scary light fish thingy (anyone know the name of that thing?)

The jellyfish scene

Mesh

Pixar makes excellent movies, always has.  I loved Finding Nemo.  If you don't like their corporate face for whatever insane reason, you have to admire their talent at screenwriting and getting the absolute most out of a character's facial gestures.  Every character is a marvel of economical expression.

One facet I thoroughly enjoyed—all the references to the thriller/horror genre:

1.  Bruce, the shark, refers to Bruce, the mechanical shark used in the filming of Jaws.

2.  The gulls swarming en masse recalls Hitchcock's The Birds.

3.  The shower sequence stabbing string music from Psycho rings out every time that evil fish-killing girl appears.

I think there was another obvious one, but I can't come up with it at the moment.  Anyone notice any others?

edit:  You could almost read Dory's short-term memory problem as a nod to Memento.

modage

its also great that at $253 million in its 5th week of release it looks to surpass Monsters Inc.'s $255 million this week.  which will make it the highest grossing pixar flick EVER.  great news,  especially since there was probably some worry because it was the first pixar movie to open up during the summer and maybe it would get lost among all the other family flicks out there.  hopefully it will sail past Shreks total and rack up an oscar.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Cover art:

No street date announced yet.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sal

Eek.  That orange is kind of a turn off.  Did blue lose the popularity contest?

Duck Sauce

Tip-top work Mac,   but I have a feeling that wont be the final cover

Pwaybloe

Care to make it interesting?