FINDING NEMO

Started by modage, May 30, 2003, 08:10:56 PM

modage

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodPixar simply uses computer animation of a very dull and to the point sort of way. I'm not at all completely against the use of computers for film. I think david fincher & paul thomas anderson use cgi to it's full advantage in a very original way...When a movie is entirely made up of computer animation with no creativity.

well, i didnt think it was very "dull" when pixar put out the first completely 3D animated movie of all time?  i actually thought it was sort of "original".  
"NO Creativity". okay, now its clear you obviously dont have ANY IDEA what you are talking about.  take a few minutes and pop in any of their magnificent DVDs and flip through the pages and pages and pages of concept designs, character models, test animations and get a clue as to the thousands of hours of creativity that go into making something like this.  or pick up the ART OF book for Monsters Inc and see some of the wonderful creativity that goes into making these pixar movies.  im 21, and an animator, and happen to think that animation is just as valid an art form as anything shot on film.  its one thing if you dont like the movies, but dont trash the art form.  or the most consistently enjoyable studio making films right now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Yeah, the pure amount of imagination and creativity that goes into any random composition in any of their films is just mind boggling. The details are endless.

To say they're using CG uncreatively is a strange point to make. It can't really be compared to what Fincher or PTA are doing, since they're simply using it as an aide to their live action stories. Pixar is making movies that couldn't be made with live action, and they're constantly advancing the technology with every film they've made. The CG breakthroughs they've made have been just as important as the stuff in T2 or Jurassic Park or The Matrix -- if not more so.

And finally, their storytelling is just marvelous. It was mentioned that they don't have to succumb to bathroom humor, like Shreck -- which is true, and their films are absolutely hilarious (the seagulls in Finding Nemo had me rolling). They also don't have any sarcasm or cynical humor -- their stories are sincere, and in that sincerity they manage to appeal to adults just as much as children. They don't need any entendres, because the films work so well on a universal level. The only other childrens films that really compare with what Pixar does is the (slightly more mature) work of Miyazaki -- who John Lasseter regards as his biggest influence.

Sleuth

I really don't like Pixar movies and it has nothing to do with the animation, I can respect that

but no, I don't like them at all
I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Bill MaplewoodPixar is out to profit from the hands of Mini Van driving Soccer families...Every fucking movie they release has some connection to a corporation of the same goal.

Sorry.. I'm just not making the connection here....

Monsters Inc was a direct parody of California's energy crisis, and it had the whole evil corporation thing tied in, which I always like.

We're talking about Steve Jobs' company here... he's not exactly a corporate whore...

RegularKarate

I love Pixar and will defend it... however I have come to express my disapointment that you guys didn't let me know how fucking popular this movie is... My fav. major theater is showing it almost every thirty minutes, so I figured getting a ticket wouldn't be hard... WRONG!  Sold out every fucking show before five.  I had to end up seeing Bruce Almighty.  

and it was like riot control in the lobby... the manager screaming at people in line to make sure infants were in laps and that no one left open seats and everyone had their ticket out.

Man... and the wife doesn't want to see it, so I can't go tomorrow.

and I don't want to hear the "ya shoulda known"s...I want appologies

Bud_Clay

Quote from: Pif anyone's braindead here it's u for buying into cheap advertising telling u that Toy Story or Monsters Inc aren't worthy of 12yr+ old eyes.

Oh? who is advertising that?  ...what product is this corporation with cheap finances trying to sell me through brainwashing? Pizza Hut's Pizzata?

Bud_Clay

Quote from: themodernage02well, i didnt think it was very "dull" when pixar put out the first completely 3D animated movie of all time?  i actually thought it was sort of "original".  "NO Creativity". okay, now its clear you obviously dont have ANY IDEA what you are talking about.  take a few minutes and pop in any of their magnificent DVDs and flip through the pages and pages and pages of concept designs, character models, test animations and get a clue as to the thousands of hours of creativity that go into making something like this.  or pick up the ART OF book for Monsters Inc and see some of the wonderful creativity that goes into making these pixar movies.  im 21, and an animator, and happen to think that animation is just as valid an art form as anything shot on film.  its one thing if you dont like the movies, but dont trash the art form.  or the most consistently enjoyable studio making films right now.

Okay, yep I have no idea what im talking about. i am wrong and you are right.  long live pixar and the beautiful, simply hilarious films they produce that we can all enjoy as heart warmed human beings. thanks

Ernie

I wanna see this...I need a good fun movie to see...haven't seen a single movie in theatres for over a month, not since All the Real Girls over spring break actually, April 18th I think it was. Nothing really interested me till this one, I'd love to see it. I really like Monsters Inc and Toy Story. I heard this one references Jaws and The Shining and stuff, I hope that's true...I think that'd be really cool to see in a Pixar film. I really respect and like Pixar and their contribution to animated film which I never thought I would ever be interested in again after the disney films when I was in the single digits. Just wish they could go easier on the overplayed ads..that's really my only complaint...but then, all that has already been mentioned. I probably just need to watch less tv.

Quote from: Pwhat the fuck? i'm sorry, i'm 19yrs 5 months and 8 days old, what should i like?

Well, my fucking jaw just dropped. I can't believe your only three years older than me! You condescended me like I've never been condescended before...you freaking talked to me like an old man and your only 3 years older? Wow, this is seriously a surprise. I used to actually try to please you and think before I posted in a thread that you posted in but now I don't even care at all...lol, your just another senior at my school now...your no better or wiser than me. This is great, I'm glad I finally found out how old you are. This really gives me new confidence. I'm not afraid of the immortal P anymore. I'm turning 17 in 4 months, I'll be catching right up to you man.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Quote from: Bill Maplewood
Okay, yep I have no idea what im talking about. i am wrong and you are right.  long live pixar and the beautiful, simply hilarious films they produce that we can all enjoy as heart warmed human beings. thanks

at least you can admit it freely

EL__SCORCHO

I was forced by some friends to go see Finding Nemo yesterday and I'm thankful I let myself get dragged. Really enjoyed the movie. Good shit! It actually scared me a few times.

jonas

Nemo was great. Pixar still hasn't made a bad film.

The animation was really good (as expected). I loved the cloudiness of the water and that you could see the little specs of sand in the water, etc...

The Incredibles teaser was great too.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Ernie

Quote from: jonasThe animation was really good (as expected). I loved the cloudiness of the water and that you could see the little specs of sand in the water, etc...

Oh man, that sounds so cool...I definitely will be seeing this sooner or later.

I just hope Ellen Degeneres isn't that bad...just realized she does a voice for it.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeamanWell, my fucking jaw just dropped. I can't believe your only three years older than me!

Wait a second...

This means I'm 8 months & 7 days older than Pubrick!

You know what that means?

Oh my God!

Wait.......  :yabbse-undecided: ....nevermind.....

Sleuth

Stop being agist, JB.
I like to hug dogs