The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Started by MacGuffin, July 16, 2003, 09:40:47 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Can this ever be as cool as the original???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

No trailer yet, but here's something scarier than the original:

Producer Note: This horror remake is the dream project of director Michael Bay, famous for his bombastic style, as evidenced in explosion-filled movies like Armageddon, The Rock and Pearl Harbor. This is a (relatively) low-budget project for him, and he's producing, not directing, but there has to be some guessing that perhaps Bay's "blow-em-up" techniques will be transferred to this... um... "cut-em-up" genre stalwart. Michael Bay *did* direct a three-minute promo short to help with international sales, which reportedly was the talk of AFM. Hopefully, that promo short will be on the inevitable DVD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Rolling Stone, shock rocker Marilyn Manson will be providing the film's score.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinNo trailer yet, but here's something scarier than the original:

Producer Note: This horror remake is the dream project of director Michael Bay, famous for his bombastic style, as evidenced in explosion-filled movies like Armageddon, The Rock and Pearl Harbor. This is a (relatively) low-budget project for him, and he's producing, not directing, but there has to be some guessing that perhaps Bay's "blow-em-up" techniques will be transferred to this... um... "cut-em-up" genre stalwart. Michael Bay *did* direct a three-minute promo short to help with international sales, which reportedly was the talk of AFM. Hopefully, that promo short will be on the inevitable DVD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Rolling Stone, shock rocker Marilyn Manson will be providing the film's score.

Does that sound kinda retarded to anyone else?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

markums2k

I actually like Michael Bay.

Hey?  Did you hear that?  What little credibility I had left just went down the toilet.  Oh well.

SoNowThen

I don't hate Bay as much as everyone else here, I just don't think his super-fast style is gonna suit a flick like this. But he's only producing, so maybe he'll pick a helmer with a more restrained approach.

I'm just choked about the Manson soundtrack. There's nothing that kills mood like thrasher music.

chainsmoking insomniac

How dare they.  How dare they.   :evil:

Fucking Michael Bay....*Fists clenched, shaking*
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Alethia

i really hate michael bay, but im gonna have to see this anyway

Cecil

oh boy. im gonna have to see this, no matter how dissapointed i probably will be

nobody liked mansons score for resident evil?

markums2k

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedoh boy. im gonna have to see this, no matter how dissapointed i probably will be

nobody liked mansons score for resident evil?

I think people sometimes confuse 'score' with 'soundtrack'.

polkablues

I read a while back that they're going for less of a slasher movie, and more "moody", without explicit violence.  That being said, I have no idea why they're even bothering.
My house, my rules, my coffee

chainsmoking insomniac

Indeed.  Leave it to that fucker to ruin a perfectly great slasher film with exhausted Hollywood formula......

Gonna smoke a cig, calm down a bit.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

RegularKarate

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thetexaschainsawmassacre/trailer_lg.html

Well, there you are.

I had always heard that Hooper was gonna direct this one.

This will probably just plain suck ass.

though I'm sure I'll see it

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateThis will probably just plain suck ass though I'm sure I'll see it

exactly.  exactly.  and THAT right there is why this exists.  because it doesnt matter if it sucks.  and even the more informed/educated/sophisticated moviegoers who KNOW it will suck (like us), will STILL GO.  just to see if it does.  the built in audience is why there are these needless remakes (and needless sequels for that matter).  why remake something that still holds up today?  $$$  thats the only reason.  they've got our money, and they could care less about shitting on the original.  which is still probably the scariest or atleast the freakiest movie i've ever seen.  i doubt that this will be able to do half that.  with its "faux gritty" look.  and decent budget.  the original is so freaky because it seems so real.  its gritty and low budget and seems like a documentary at times.  and thats scary.  and what gives me even more faith in this is that the writer and director are both first-timers.  wow, how incredibly daring of them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.