The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Started by MacGuffin, July 16, 2003, 09:40:47 AM

Banky

I was ultimatley dissapointed with this film.  It wasnt very entertaining and i thought it was at times painful.  About 50 minutes into the film i honestly wanted to walk out.  Its not like the movie was terrible in anyway but it was just boring.  Maybe i was expecting more of a remake and i got more of a sequal.  I thought the dynamics of the group were dumb and not entertaing.  The movie looked fantastic though.  I really enjoyed its visuals.  I thought it had balls to try and be different but i actually laughed out loud when Leatherface was working on the sewing machine.  I left with a bad taste in my mouth and felt like i wanted to take a shower.  It just wasnt scary.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Is the new TCM to the old TCm as the remake Shining was to the old Shining?

If so, count me out.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

I'm surprised I ended up seeing this. I'm not surprised I didn't like it. Just wasn't scary or involving at all.

~rougerum

Banky

it made nearly 30 mill opening weekend.  That is very impressive.  Its sad that Kill Bill make 22 and this piece of exrament makes 30.  I think the budget was like 10 mill for TCM.

modage

further testament to the power of the "remake".  because kill bill doesnt mean shit to 15 year olds.  they dont know who Quentin Tarantino is and could care less this is his 4th film.  what they DO KNOW is that they've defininitely 'heard' about Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and while it would probably be too much trouble to try to dig up some old version, they will definitely be going to the one that stars Jessica Biel.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

hey hey hey. when i was in 7th grade my friends and i used to love pulp fiction and reservoir dogs. don't go generalizing, b/c quentin was my hero back when...

doesn't make sense to me why this made more money though. seems like kill bill would have a bigger audience. the people that like slasher movies like tcm should've really liked kill bill b/c it had so much violence and was so much more fun than tcm (from what i've heard). kill bill's audience also encompasses the film dork who wants to see the new quentin movie. it really is perplexing.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02further testament to the power of the "remake".  because kill bill doesnt mean shit to 15 year olds.  they dont know who Quentin Tarantino is and could care less this is his 4th film.  what they DO KNOW is that they've defininitely 'heard' about Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and while it would probably be too much trouble to try to dig up some old version, they will definitely be going to the one that stars Jessica Biel.

Too bad for them that they grow up in an era of nudity-free horror films.  

Even if Tarantino doesn't mean anything to 15 year olds, surely an ultra-violent martial arts film would appeal to them.  We're not comparing TCM and Lost in Translation here.

Banky

people were looking for something to do and when they saw TCM in the paper or on the internet, they thought of Beil and the big crazy man weilding a chainsaw.  A marketing anamile.  Its kinda like

"Oooooooohhhhhhh Navy Seals"

modage

Quote from: bonanzatazhey hey hey. when i was in 7th grade my friends and i used to love pulp fiction and reservoir dogs. don't go generalizing, b/c quentin was my hero back when....

no, see thats exactly it!  i was in 8th grade when pulp fiction came out and was all the rage you couldnt get any cooler than a quentin tarantino movie.  but 15 year olds today couldnt care less.  he hasnt made a movie in 6 years, and they really werent into him when they were 9.  my sister is 16 and she hasnt seen one of his movies, adn probably wouldnt have the slightest idea who he is.

Quote from: RaviEven if Tarantino doesn't mean anything to 15 year olds, surely an ultra-violent martial arts film would appeal to them.  We're not comparing TCM and Lost in Translation here.

its not that 15 year olds wouldnt ENJOY kill bill, if they were to see it.  its just that since QT doesnt mean anything to them, and from the previews it looks like some bizarre kung fu movie.  thats not going to pack them into the theatres.  texas chainsaw massacre is a 'brand'.  these kids havent seen the original, but they recognize the name as being something supposedly really scary.  so they go.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

did anyone notice a cameo by fat boy red-head Harry? seeing his ugly mug made the film even worse, very boring, not scary, not worth the money, film, time. i bet the drop in box office next weekend will be pretty steep.

MacGuffin

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Sequel Already in the Works
Source: Variety

With The Texas Chainsaw Massacre topping the weekend box office, producers Mike Fleiss and Michael Bay have begun early talks about a sequel to director Marcus Nispel's film, a remake of the 1974 Tobe Hooper hit.

Meanwhile, Fleiss' future film slate includes a high-concept comedy that would be directed by Brett Ratner. He's also preparing to a new take on another classic horror pic, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, penned by Steve Niles, writer of the classic vampire comic "30 Days of Night."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

snaporaz

i liked it.

however, i'm sure if i saw it on a television set, it would suck.

i think that holds true with almost every single horror film.

not that it will always be good in a cinema and shitty on a t.v. - i just think that, especially for horror films, the value of the film is greatly diminished when seen on a television rather than a theater screen; more than any other genre.

Banky

a sequal sounds like a pretty bad idea

Keener

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobIs the new TCM to the old TCm as the remake Shining was to the old Shining?

If so, count me out.

I personally felt that way. I just didn't like it. Not because it was a remake of a film I love, but because it was a crappy film.

Tries to hard to be serious to be taken campingly, and tries to hard to be campy to be taken seriously.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Banky

Quote from: Keener
Tries to hard to be serious to be taken campingly, and tries to hard to be campy to be taken seriously.

well said