The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Started by MacGuffin, July 16, 2003, 09:40:47 AM

Ghostboy

I finally saw the original tonight, in probably the best possible circumstances -- new print, big screen, with Tobe Hooper in attendance.

And it scared me real good. Leatherface's first appearance is on par with the staircase murder in Psycho. Actually, almost every time he shows up made me jump out of my seat.

The remake is more interesting now, seeing what changes it made, but it also sucks more because it's so unscary.

modage

apologies to inane rambling below...

saw the remake on halloween.  eh.  it could've been a lot worse, but it could have been a lot better.  to begin with, it was a senseless remake that there was absolutely no reason for.  it cant hold a candle to the original.  it wasnt scary, it wasnt creepy.  it wasnt gory.  the filmmaker didnt seem to 'get it'.  he didnt seem to get what made the original great.  he thought that maybe he would improve it by adding things like plot devices and jumpy moments, and a female hero and as many horror cliches as he could into 90 minutes.  but the thing about the original, is that it didnt fall into any of those traps.  it was wildly different, and crazy and fantastic.  it didnt need to thread in all these meaningless character subplots and 'oooh, they're going to get married.  ooh theyre transporting pot'.  its like WHY? who gives a fuck? and why does that matter in the slightest? in the original the kids are anybodys.  they are nobodys.  they should be you, me doesnt matter.  it doesnt matter about what the hells going on in their lives, all that matters is what happens to them that day. i was with it though through all that up to the first half, waiting to be scared, not completely annoyed.  but, when jessica nad the other guy first see leatherface, they scream a little and then the kid starts fighting him wiht a tire iron.  WHAT THE FUCK?  you're telling me you turn around and see a guy wearing a mask of human skin wielding a chainsaw lunging at you and you decide rather than just running and being out of your fucking mind freaked out, that you will be heroic and ward him off so jessica biel can escape?  so right there, things were already on the wrong wrong foot.  the last third of th emovie made me sick. how many goddamn enclosed areas is she going to hide in?  like 5?  and her finding the courage to face him ridiculous! cliche, horror movie nonsense.  when she got the baby, i wanted to shit myself.  all the changes with the exception of the faux newsreel ending and possibly him wearing the mask of a character, (which were cool), were totally pointless.  the only reason for this movie to exist is so 16 year olds who have never seen the original can enjoy themselves.  it was not made for horror fans, or fans of the original.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02to begin with, it was a senseless remake that there was absolutely no reason for.  it cant hold a candle to the original.  it wasnt scary, it wasnt creepy.  it wasnt gory.  the filmmaker didnt seem to 'get it'.  he didnt seem to get what made the original great.  he thought that maybe he would improve it by adding things like plot devices and jumpy moments, and a female hero and as many horror cliches as he could into 90 minutes.  but the thing about the original, is that it didnt fall into any of those traps.  it was wildly different, and crazy and fantastic.  it didnt need to thread in all these meaningless character subplots and 'oooh, they're going to get married.  ooh theyre transporting pot'.  its like WHY? who gives a fuck? and why does that matter in the slightest? in the original the kids are anybodys.  they are nobodys.  they should be you, me doesnt matter.  it doesnt matter about what the hells going on in their lives, all that matters is what happens to them that day. i was with it though through all that up to the first half, waiting to be scared, not completely annoyed.  but, when jessica nad the other guy first see leatherface, they scream a little and then the kid starts fighting him wiht a tire iron.  WHAT THE FUCK?  you're telling me you turn around and see a guy wearing a mask of human skin wielding a chainsaw lunging at you and you decide rather than just running and being out of your fucking mind freaked out, that you will be heroic and ward him off so jessica biel can escape?  so right there, things were already on the wrong wrong foot.  the last third of th emovie made me sick. how many goddamn enclosed areas is she going to hide in?  like 5?  and her finding the courage to face him ridiculous! cliche, horror movie nonsense.  when she got the baby, i wanted to shit myself.  all the changes with the exception of the faux newsreel ending and possibly him wearing the mask of a character, (which were cool), were totally pointless.  the only reason for this movie to exist is so 16 year olds who have never seen the original can enjoy themselves.  it was not made for horror fans, or fans of the original.

What he said.

The wheelchair guy in the original was less annoying than all of these kids. The Sherriff character was a terrible addition. It completely took away from the action that was going on in the house. The only bit of horror that my audience reacted to was R. Lee Ermey spitting. The hitchhiker in the original did a creepier thing by cutting his hand than what the girl they picked up did. This version fell into cliches. You know when people are driving, and they get distracted and don't watch the road, you know for a fact they are gonna run into or almost run into something and somebody's gonna scream "Look Out!!" I could see the cross-cutting of the ending a mile away so there was no suspense with her hot-wiring the car. Also, Leatherface drops the chainsaw right in front of Biel's char., but does she pick it up? NOOOO!!! I wanted this version to do the same as I wanted for the characters' lives...end soon. Although it was cool to see 'Ain't It Cool' Harry's head on a platter.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

the only thing i liked about this movie was the camera pulling back in the van through the girls head and out the van, awesome shot there.

MacGuffin

Texas Chainsaw Director Aboard Need
Source: Variety

Texas Chainsaw Massacre director Marcus Nispel will direct Need for Sony-based Escape Artists. Diane Lane will topline the thriller, which is set up at Paramount Pictures.

The project, based on Lawrence David's novel, centers on a New York therapist's discovery that one of her female patients is having an affair with her husband.

Chloe King wrote the original script while Jon Bokenkamp has performed a rewrite and will continue working on the project. Co-stars have yet to be cast. Filming is expected to start in February in Los Angeles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Diane Lane seems to be very interested in examining one theme.

modage

so does her Unfaithful director Adrian Lyne.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

my dad has a quick review/ramble about the TCM remake and a little about remakes in general.  you can read it if you're interested by clicking on the Abercrombie ad.

MacGuffin

New Line have officially announced the region one releases of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre which stars Jessica Biel, Eric Balfour and Erica Leerhsen. The film will be available in two seperate packages from the 30th March next year. The first of these packages will be a two disc platinum edition of the film. This will retail at around $39.92 and will arrive in a collectible and removable metal plaque cover. The second release will be a cut down version, featuring only a music video, trailer and TV spots. This will retail at around $27.95. The platinum specs are attached below:

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
English Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Track
English DTS ES Surround Track
3 Audio Commentaries with Director Marcus Nispel, Michael Bay & More
Chainsaw Redux (Making Of) Documentary
Selection of Deleted Scenes
Alternate Opening and Ending
Crime Scene Photographs
Motograter “Suffocate” Music Video
Gein: The Ghoul of Plainfield Documentary
Cast Screen Tests
Various Art Galleries
Script-to-Screen (DVD-ROM)
Original Theatrical Trailers
Seven TV Spots
English & Spanish Subtitles

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

script to screen??  is anyone truly interested in that for this particular film?

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02my dad has a quick review/ramble about the TCM remake and a little about remakes in general.  you can read it if you're interested by clicking on the Abercrombie ad.
ah so that's where ur gettin the christmas stuff. cool dad.  :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

modage

i've been found out!  yeah he wrote his column about it this month so rather than just link up i decided to share my own little capsules here to inspire some holiday viewing at xixax.  dont spoil the ending!

MacGuffin

Marcus Nispel Takes a Turn at Paramount
Source: Variety

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre helmer Marcus Nispel will direct Turn for Radar Pictures at Paramount.

Based on a Japanese film by the same name, Turn is a supernatural thriller about a woman who slips into a coma after an accident and finds upon waking that she is in a parallel reality -- a completely empty city, where she is forced to relive the same day over and over again.

The film is being dubbed the horror version of Groundhog Day. Paramount will handle domestic distribution and Focus International will handle foreign rights.

The Japanese original is more of a love story than a thriller, but Fernley Phillips' new screenplay ups the horror ante. Nispel will focus on Turn after helming Diane Lane in Need, also at Paramount.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Damnt. I blind bought this dvd lastnight cause it had a cool case and there were two versions a 1 disc and a 2 disc. I bought the 2. This movie sucked! It started out promising but went real sour after 20 minutes. it had a cool case though so thats cool.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Liebesman unmasking Leatherface
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Jonathan Liebesman is going back in time, signing on to direct the untitled "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" prequel that Platinum Dunes is producing for New Line Cinema. As in the first movie, which grossed more than $80 million domestically, the story follows a group of kids who run afoul of chainsaw-wielding psycho Leatherface and his demented family. The story will reveal Leatherface's origins. The script was written by Sheldon Turner with a rewrite by David Schow. Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller are producing via Platinum Dunes. Mike Fleiss also is producing.

Skeleton FilmWorks