Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: Pubrick on January 31, 2007, 10:23:12 PM
i can't believe i'm stealing it now just because of that comment.

EDIT: no more impulse steals.

I was going to check it out myself, but I think your edit convinced me to check out samples of it before anything... and I thank you for that.

Pubrick

Quote from: overmeunderyou on January 31, 2007, 11:40:30 PM
I was going to check it out myself, but I think your edit convinced me to check out samples of it before anything... and I thank you for that.
yeah np. there's actually some really good songs, but then they sound too much like what crono has been getting into lately, and at best they remind me of Mew or something great like that. there's a couple tracks where they tried something different, not that i know anything about this band, but they go quiet in tracks like "never" and "ruin your life" which make me think for a second that i accidentally clicked a whole different band.

in fact they sound really excellent in their poppy tracks. though it should be noted that right now pop is to me like metal is to crono.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Don't listen to the haters, crono.  That's a great album.  They definitely ride the line of sounding a little too much like various other bands (Placebo, Muse, Puressence, etc...), but just different enough to succeed on their own terms.

"Haters" might have been a bit strong... I get the feeling that Pubrick's only a couple more listens away from loving it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

about the abandoned pools 'debate', i don't think he's brilliant or anything but some of those tracks bring me good memories and still are listenable. he always was like an overproduced version of the eels and then he recorded another album and probably died. the end.

and about metal, i don't know how to defend it , i guess it's a bit like when chris rock talks about how hard it's to defend hip hop nowadays, with the difference being that metal has never stood for anything socially essential.
context, context, context.

Stefen

SEXY. The only PJ album I had heard was To Bring You My Love and I thought it was half terrible, half awesome. This one is the complete opposite. Half awesome, half terrible.

It has the best first 5 or so tracks on an album I've heard in awhile. Especially Water. Love the groove of that song.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

for those of you that don't know, bill callahan is smog.

Stefen

I was just about to download that.

Think I'll pass.

Reminds me of junior high. 2x4 is a great song. Everyone should download it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

mogwai

grand theft sparrow

Apostle of Hustle - National Anthem of Nowhere

Can't find the artwork for it yet.

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

mogwai

blend a wee bit of blur, the clash and some fine 70's dub reggae and you'll get this. i've listened to it three times now and the songs make sense. it's catchy.

last days of gerry the elephant

Japanese artists. Some electronic non-sense, melodic rock, and yes, Japanese vocals.
http://www.myspace.com/harvardmusicofficial