Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Yes

I don't think some of you realize studios cannot surprise drop a movie in theaters like some Beyoncé album lol

PinkTeeth

Quote from: Yes on August 25, 2021, 06:01:55 PM
I don't think some of you realize studios cannot surprise drop a movie in theaters like some Beyoncé album lol

Right.
..but if theaters are out of the equation, may there lie an opportunity for something new to happen?
I'm just thinking radical. Again, i really know nothing other than fatigue of the shadow artists calling the shots.
New Name, Same Typos.

wilberfan

Quote from: PinkTeeth on August 25, 2021, 05:57:38 PM
but how many of us first saw 2001 on a video tape on a tv?

(In case we're having a nerdflex, I've seen 2001 30-something times--but never on a TV screen.)   :yabbse-cool:

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unless he's suffered a personality-altering head trauma, it's safe to assume PTA still wants his movies shown in theaters. Even his Netflix music video played on imax screens.

Deep breaths everyone. However this release shakes out, I'm sure the movie is gonna be great.

wilberfan

Paul, if you (or deputized minions) are lurking here, we're in such turmoil because we are deep admirers of your skills and are eager to see what your cinematic creativity will produce this time around.

Please take your time. We are certainly eager, but will be as patient as necessary (some more than others, of course.)  Many of us have become quite attached to the working title, but we trust that whatever ends up on the title card will suit the film perfectly. 

We will embrace the results heartily--whenever and however they arrive--and clutch them to our collective bosom with tears of joy and lusty cries of gratitude.

Cheers,

Xixax

ps  A few of us are located nearby, are fully vaxxed, and available for early, test, or cast & crew screenings--should you find that convenient or helpful.

PinkTeeth

New Name, Same Typos.

AlRose

tomthiel57

I don't know for you but one of the reasons I'm very impatient to see something about the movie is to understand the mood of it. Since it's Paul returning to the same space and time as Boogie Nights and Inherent Vice, I'm curious to know if/how the mood of Soggy Bottom will be far from these two.

wilberfan

I'm guessing it will be some kind of Venn Diagram:  All 3 films will overlap in an interesting way.

Yes

Looks better than I expected. I can't believe that cameo

Heisenberg

Good to see that this one has a musical sequence. Perhaps the best he's shot since Wise Up.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Heisenberg on August 26, 2021, 02:24:02 AMGood to see that this one has a musical sequence.

With some clear homages to the "Paper Bag" video.

Drenk

Low effort on that one, Al. "Soggy Bottom: Script Reading" or something equivalent, instead of a "Soggy Bottom sneak peek" that reads troll, would have maybe made my heart stop a little.  :yabbse-grin:

I'm surprised that you can give the exact same name to two different YouTube channels, though.  :ponder:
Ascension.

d

Quote from: tomthiel57 on August 26, 2021, 12:37:36 AM
I don't know for you but one of the reasons I'm very impatient to see something about the movie is to understand the mood of it.
That. The mood and the look is what I'm most curious about at this moment. I think I will be happy with Boogie Nights/Magnolia dynamics with Inherent Vice aesthetics and maybe a touch of The Master idiosyncrasy but expect and hope to get something completely different, fresh and weird.

While obviously excited about Soggy Bottom or whatever it is called, I am not mad about the cast, setting and what we know about the story so I hope it turns out to be more epic in scope than what has been suggested so far. After low-key Phantom Thread I would like him to be more ambitious, flamboyant, even on the verge of being a bit pretentious and full of himself. The way he was with The Master, TWBB or even Inherent Vice. Even if this one is a comedy, I think, and it became more obvious to me when listening to him talk more about his films during PT press tour, he is the funnies when he pretends to be dead serious.

tl;dr - I hope Soggy Bottom, within reason, is more like TWBB/The Master than Phantom Thread/Punch-Drunk Love and it shows in the trailer we hopefully will see soon.

Yes

QuoteConsidering how little we've seen from it, it's hard to believe Paul Thomas Anderson is putting the finishing touches on his next feature. Will it be a high school ensemble film? A movie about Hollywood? Or about local politics? We wager it may be a mix of all three (and more), and the excitement of not knowing precisely what to expect will hopefully be intact until opening day. What we do know, however, is it stars Philip Seymour Hoffman's son, Cooper Hoffman, as well as Bradley Cooper, Alana Haim, Benny Safdie, Nate Mann, Skyler Gisondo, Mary Elizabeth Ellis, Destry Allyn Spielberg, and Sean Penn. – Jordan R.

Film Stage https://thefilmstage.com/50-films-to-see-this-fall-2021/