Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Rooty Poots

Quote from: wilberfan on August 31, 2021, 10:31:00 AM
I was looking at height too. Crew Dude was tall.  But I don't know who Skyler is--by name, anyway...
If you've seen The Righteous Gemstones, Skyler plays the son on it.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

wilberfan

I love that show, so indeed I have!   :bravo:

jviness02

I'll be honest and admit that I wasn't overly filled with anticipation for Phantom Thread once we found out it was about a dressmaker. Shit sounded boring lol.  My anticipation was due to PTA and DDL alone. However, it's a masterpiece and I love it. It's one of my favorite PTA films. I am anticipating this one, but because we know so little, it's once again just based on PTA alone.

Yes

Quote from: jviness02 on September 01, 2021, 08:53:02 PM
I'll be honest and admit that I wasn't overly filled with anticipation for Phantom Thread once we found out it was about a dressmaker. Shit sounded boring lol.  My anticipation was due to PTA and DDL alone. However, it's a masterpiece and I love it. It's one of my favorite PTA films. I am anticipating this one, but because we know so little, it's once again just based on PTA alone.

What really fueled the anticipation for Phantom Thread were those early leaked details. "Dressmaker in BDSM relationship" wasn't THAT far off lol. And then DDL's retirement

Drill

Quote"I don't really think about it in that way. I'm getting annoying emails from Paul Thomas Anderson about a couple of potential projects! They sound really interesting and peculiar, so I'm thinking about those while I wander around. I really enjoy the thinking time of music, drifting off and wondering how to describe in music what PT is talking about. It's very self-indulgent, but really fun. I'm an extremely lucky man."

https://www.nme.com/news/music/jonny-greenwood-spencer-soundtrack-interview-radiohead-new-album-the-smile-3036092

Hmmm....still getting the vibe that he's not involved with this. But will most certainly be back in the future.

RudyBlatnoyd

Good to know that PTA has some other projects in the pipeline anyway. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long after Soggy B for another feature or documentary.

Yes

I expect a score by Haim or just a soundtrack of preexisting songs

d

Unless Greenwood plays his role in all this Soggy Bottom secrecy game, preexisting songs plus 2-3 Haim tracks is indeed a most likely scenario.

Good to know Greenwood stays busy and positive as always. He and PTA are probably my two favourite living artists so their collaboration is always super exciting but I have already come to terms with Jonny not being involved this time.

Looking forward to his scores for Spencer and the Campion film. It will be bitter sweet if he wins an Oscar for non-PTA work. ;)

Tdog

Not even getting a nomination for The Master says a lot about the Oscars and how they operate.

A lot of the blame can probably be attributed to Weinstein too who really dropped the ball with the marketing, self admittedly as well.

Yes

The Master really got screwed in 2012. Of course it was a very odd, polarizing film to say the least, but Weinstein dumped it in September and focused on Silver Linings and Django. Also, Amour and Zero Dark 30 stole a lot of the highbrow votes that year. The Scientology cloud was also tough to escape from

But PTA making BAFTA and WGA for that proves how beloved he is by his peers.

Tdog

Affleck even commented during his acceptance speech how odd it was that he won when The Master wasn't even nominated.

Anyway, Greenwood has made some of the most memorable movie scores of the last 15 years. Imagine a movie score with memorable themes, what a crazy idea!

pynchonikon

No Greenwood is certainly a choice rather than scheduling conflict, Spencer was announced/got into production long after Soggy Bottom.

(Weren't there a few objections that his soundtrack wasn't perfectly fitting to 70s LA tone in IV anyway? Not that it necessarily had anything to do with this decision but just sayin')

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on September 03, 2021, 02:42:11 AM
Good to know that PTA has some other projects in the pipeline anyway. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long after Soggy B for another feature or documentary.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Quote from: d on September 03, 2021, 03:11:21 AMpreexisting songs plus 2-3 Haim tracks is indeed a most likely scenario.

This.

Drill

I said that about IV. :lol: Just my personal opinion. PT also felt like a real peak in their collaboration, so I think in a way it would be the right time to take a little break from each other. Keep things fresh.

If he's not involved, then it was definitely decided from the beginning. I'm sure PTA is his first priority (in terms of film scoring). It's interesting to keep tabs of the filmmakers who want Greenwood. I know Campion loved The Master.

Heisenberg

PinkTeeth

He should dust off Ry Cooder
New Name, Same Typos.