Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

pynchonikon

Assuming that Mary Elizabeth Ellis is indeed playing the rumored agent modeled on Sue Mengers, I'm still curious to find out about Penn's character as a supposed old-timer director influenced by John Huston, unless this role was reshaped (or they just went primarily for Huston's adventurous spirit rather than a direct depiction).

Drenk

Sean Penn is playing Mr Hollywood. The father of The Hollywood Kids.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Based on the story of these two guys.  They couldn't secure the rights for Lance's story, so they changed that character to a slighty older woman (played by Alana).

Lightly fictionalized by Jackie Collins, too.

Yes

Alana being a gossip reporter, involved with kid actor (Hoffman), producer (Cooper), agent (Ellis) and closeted politician (Safdie) makes sense. Hows Penn fit into this? Doesn't his character ride a motorcycle?

Rooty Poots

Quote from: wilberfan on August 26, 2021, 04:54:31 PM
Based on the story of these two guys.  They couldn't secure the rights for Lance's story, so they changed that character to a slighty older woman (played by Alana).

Lightly fictionalized by Jackie Collins, too.

Is this legit information you know about this movie? I have more reasons to believe you than to doubt you, so if you say it's real, I'll believe it!
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Jeremy Blackman

He's havin' a laugh, as they say.

Rooty Poots

Damn, now I've gotta call up Variety and tell them not to go to print with my scoop I just gave them. Hope they don't ask for my $500 back.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drenk

That's the French line-up. Look at that beautiful « Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson » in January.  :yabbse-grin:

https://twitter.com/lordofnoyze/status/1431153057971249153?s=21
Ascension.

PaulElroy35

You guys thinking Bond still gets released on he 8th of October  you reckon  the Soggy  Bottom trailer will play before that.

At this rate o cant see it getting online in September and Bond is the next MGM release that it would fit with.

nomorecoffee

To distract ourselves from this long wait:
what would be your ranking of his movies in order of hype/anticipation?
where would soggy fit in this ranking?

Robyn

Was only 14 in 2006 so I wasn't here for TWBB or anything before.

1. The Master
2. Phantom Thread
3. Inherent Vice
4. Soggy Bottom

The Master is unmatched for me personally. Read the script several times when it leaked and watched the trailer like 40 times when it was released.

With Soggy Bottom I am not sure yet. The trailer could change everything.

PaulElroy35

This is the most hyped for a film I have ever been and not just Paul's stuff. I care more about just seeing a trailer for his than watching some upcoming  films.

wilberfan

Quote from: Robyn on August 29, 2021, 05:38:02 PM
With Soggy Bottom I am not sure yet. The trailer could change everything.

I don't trust trailers.  I still have scars from the IV trailer...   :doh:

Yes

The Master was top 5 if not higher I ever anticipated a movie. I followed all the news (remember when Jeremy Renner was involved with Reese Witherspoon and Emma Stone? When universal was going to release it), read the script that leaked, freaked out when that first teaser dropped.

I'm not as anticipatory with this film yet tbh. The mysterious rollout killed a lot of hype and the ongoing pandemic took some fun out of movies. Bradley Cooper is great but he's not DDL or Leonardo or Joaquin.

Drill

This is probably the least I've anticipated one of his films (but still highly anticipating it in general). I hate Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, so the idea that this is going to be compared with that or that this is some sort of "response" to that film is not very appealing. And him going back to the 70's yet again with what looks to be a very white cast is a little underwhelming.

I thought the Central Avenue idea was more enticing/interesting. I wonder if anything will ever come of that?