Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: life_boyIt's one of the best of the 90's, last I checked.
3rd, last i checked.. http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=116735#116735
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: life_boyIt's one of the best of the 90's, last I checked.
3rd, last i checked.. http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=116735#116735

A second opinion:  http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=189982&highlight=#189982

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: The WWell... it is at the top of the page...

this is why i posted the pic [again]

Quote from: in the what dvds should criterion release thread life_boyWell, this sounds fun so I'm just gonna let my imagination go on these.  I'd love to see some nice special (or Criterion) editions of some of these films.

The Fisher King featuring commentary track with director Terry Gilliam, deleted scenes, access to storyboards and production notes, a making-of featurette, a featurette on the Holy Grail and it's role in the cinema through history, a set direction featurette, production notes

The Game featuring commentary track by David Fincher and DP Harris Savides, commentary track by screenwriters John Brancato and Michael Ferris, a making-of featurette, the phsychological test film used in the movie, behind the scenes footage, deleted scenes with optional director's commentary, storyboards and concept art, featurette on the visual effects used in the film

Midnight Cowboy featuring commentary track by director John Schlesinger, behind-the-scenes footage, Midnight Cowboy Revisited television documentary, interviews with John Schlesinger, Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight and Sylvia Miles, Academy Award acceptance speeches, storyboards or concept art, original shooting script, a special dvd easter egg: What the hell happened to Schlesinger's career after this fuckin' movie?!?!? featuring interviews with Schlesinger, members of his family, and movie critics

Naked featuring commentary by Mike Leigh and David Thewlis, Award-winning Mike Leigh short, The Short and Curlies, Complete radio drama Too Much of a Good Thing, a featurette on the homeless in England, interviews with Mike Leigh, David Thewlis, Katrin Cartlige, Lesley Sharp and various members of the production crew, a special dvd easter egg: exclusive interview with Timothy Spall talking about why he wasn't in the film

Secrets and Lies featuring commentary by Mike Leigh, commentary track by film critic Roger Ebert, interviews with cast and crew on the making of the film, original shooting script, a couple of short films by Mike Leigh, a behind the scenes featurette

Sling Blade featuring commentary by Billy Bob Thornton, behind the scenes footage, deleted scenes with optional commentary by Billy Bob Thornton, Mr. Thornton Goes to Hollywood: an award winning documentary on the making of the film, interviews with cast and crew, Billy Bob's Oscar acceptance speech, original shooting script, a special dvd easter egg: ex-wife Angelina Jolie sex tape, a special dvd eater egg: documentary John Ritter: Life After Three's Company

Naked Lunch featuring commentary by David Cronenberg, interviews with David Cronenberg, Peter Weller, Judy Davis, Roy Schieder,  Ian Holm and various members of the production crew, deleted scenes with optional director's commentary, Naked Making Lunch: a documentary on the making of the film, interview with William S. Burroughs (taken before his 1997 death) in which he talks about the book, film, and Cronenberg, original shooting script, production notes and storyboards, a featurette on the sets and costumes in Naked Lunch, a featurette on Burroughs and other 'beat' writers

Boyz N the Hood featuring commentary by John Singleton, commentary by film critic Roger Ebert, making-of featurette, screen tests, original shooting script, featurette on life in South Central Los Angeles, deleted scenes, interviews with cast and crew, production notes

Goodfellas featuring commentary by Martin Scorsese, commentary by film critic Roger Ebert, commentary by Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Lorraine Bracco, making-of featurette, interview with Martin Scorsese, Nicholas Pileggi, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco and Paul Sorvino on the making of Goodfellas, Joe Pesci's Oscar acceptance speech, deleted scenes with optional Martin Scorsese commentary, After Goodfellas a short documentary featuring interviews with various filmmakers and the impact Goodfellas/Scorsese had on their lives, original shooting script, production notes and storyboards, a special dvd easter egg: exclusive interview with Joe Pesci talking about his two "overlooked" performances of 1990, Home Alone and Betsy's Wedding

Paris, Texas featuring commentary by Wim Wenders, commentary by film critic Roger Ebert, interviews with Wim Wenders, L.M. Kit Carson, Sam Shepard, Harry Dean Stanton, Natasha Kinski, Dean Stockwell and members of the production crew, a special documentary on independent films before Paris, Texas, original shooting script, production notes

Raging Bull[/b] featuring commentary by Martin Scorsese and Thelma Schoonmaker, commentary by film critic Roger Ebert, featurette on the editing in the film, interviews with cast and crew looking back on Raging Bull, historic boxing footage of Jake LaMotta, original shooting script, production notes and storyboards, making of Raging Bull, documentary Easy Riders Raging Bulls

Hey, it's okay to dream.

essentailly, hes got what hes wished for..which is cool.....i know that there is a current criterion of naked lunch.and now naked...

there are very solid versions of raging bull, boys in the hood, sling blade, amd goodfellas.......

al he needs now are.....fisher king, the game,  midnight cowboy, secret and lies, paris/texas......
its a good list thats being close to completion.......

life_boy

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: in the what dvds should criterion release thread life_boy

Naked.......a special dvd easter egg: exclusive interview with Timothy Spall talking about why he wasn't in the film

Sling Blade......a special dvd easter egg: ex-wife Angelina Jolie sex tape, a special dvd eater egg: documentary John Ritter: Life After Three's Company

Goodfellas.......a special dvd easter egg: exclusive interview with Joe Pesci talking about his two "overlooked" performances of 1990, Home Alone and Betsy's Wedding

Wow...that is crazy.  I had completely forgotten about that list.  It's funny to look back at something like that after 2 years.  At that time I had seen the Dark City commentary by Roger Ebert and wanted him to do commentary tracks for all of his favorite films...particularly those I really enjoyed also.  Now I would have a variety of authors, essayists and theorists comment (in addition to directors).  The films I would choose now would be completely different, not only because many of those films listed above have since found newer and better DVD releases, but also my cinematic interests have changed noticably over time.  I may have to revisit that thread and dream a little (updated) dream.  Thanks Neon for the step back in time.

Gold Trumpet

According to a post at the CCForum, Sam Fuller's early works (I Shot Jesse James, The Baron of Arizona, and The Steel Helmet) will be released next year. A box set is likely. Though one title is in dispute to being Criterion worthy, the idea of Criterion releasing a box set completing Fuller's early work is very worthy. We'll see.....

Alethia

criterion-worthy, fuck that.  if fucking juliet of the spirits, fat girl, and spellbound are criterion worthy than ANY fuller title shouldn't be in question.  even hell and high water (my least favorite fuller) deserves it above those three pieces of shit.  but anyway, awesome news.  this continues the roll of awesomeness that criterion seems to be on this summer.

Pubrick

Quote from: ewardcriterion-worthy, fuck that.  if fucking juliet of the spirits, fat girl, and spellbound are criterion worthy than ANY fuller title shouldn't be in question.  even hell and high water (my least favorite fuller) deserves it above those three pieces of shit.
please, tell us what u really think.. over here.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

samsong

from dvdbeaver, as usual:

October Criterions Announced

Le Samouraï (Jean-Pierre Melville), The Wages of Fear (All-New Restored Special Edition, Henri-Georges Clouzot), Kill! (Kihachi Okamoto), Samurai Rebellion (Masaki Kobayashi), Samurai Spy (Masahiro Shinoda), Sword of the Beast (Hideo Gosha)

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: samsongfrom dvdbeaver, as usual:

Le Samouraï (Jean-Pierre Melville)

YES!
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: ewardfat girl

I would disagree and say Fat Girl was Criterion worthy.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

w/o horse

Quote from: Ginger
Quote from: samsongfrom dvdbeaver, as usual:

Le Samouraï (Jean-Pierre Melville)

YES!

X2.

Fuck the theater, it's been a good year for DVD releases.

Oh right, that's what everyone is saying.  Woops box office.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Ravi

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2298

IMAGE GAINS CRITERION
As part of Home Vision acquisition
By Scott Hettrick  8/2/2005  

AUG. 2 | DVD distributor Image Entertainment has acquired 19-year-old Chicago-based publisher/distributor Home Vision Entertainment.

The $8 million deal--one of the largest ever for Chatsworth, Calif.-based Image--also gives the former laserdisc company exclusive distribution rights to the prestigious Criterion Collection of esoteric, foreign and critically acclaimed movies on DVD.

For the past eight years, Image had split retail distribution of Criterion titles with Home Vision, which had a separate 50/50 joint venture with Criterion. With that arrangement, Image was never able to include Criterion titles in its overall national marketing efforts.

With this week's deal, Home Vision sells its 50% stake in the joint venture back to Criterion, freeing up Criterion to sign an exclusive output deal with Image for its 280 active catalog titles and three to four monthly new releases through 2010.

Image will now be able to mount full-fledged marketing campaigns for DVDs from Criterion, which is credited with creating the market for today's DVD bonus features and audio commentaries when the company first produced those features for laserdiscs in the '80s. Criterion licenses selected titles such as The Life Aquatic and Hoop Dreams from studios and producers, paying a royalty fee that is often comparable to the wholesale price realized by suppliers on the titles. The Criterion Collection contains approximately 280 active DVD titles in its library and typically releases three or four new titles each month.

The privately held Home Vision, which specializes in independent and foreign films on DVD such as the BBC production of The Chronicles of Narnia, the animated classic Animal Farm, Allegro Non Troppo and the George C. Scott starrer The Day of the Dolphin, had net revenue of $29 million last year on more than 130 active titles, according to the companies.

With the acquisition of all outstanding capital stock, Image is expected to eventually lay off about 40 of Home Vision's 45 employees and shutter Home Vision's Chicago headquarters and warehouse facility, consolidating those operations into its newly renovated facilities by the end of the year.

Home Vision's president and CEO, Adrianne Furniss, will remain as a consultant for three years, assisting with Image's consolidation and content acquisition efforts. Others will likely come from Home Vision's acquisition and production areas.

The Home Vision Entertainment name will remain as a label under which Image will continue to release new titles on a monthly basis.

Image execs believe the deal will allow the combined companies to realize at least $2 million in cost savings.

Image COO David Borshell said the company intends to use the deal as a springboard to make additional acquisitions, perhaps further expanding its re-entry into the fine arts and foreign film category as well as others.

"We have a physical and personnel infrastructure that we are in a great position to leverage," Borshell said.

"Now that the transaction has been concluded, we plan to intensify efforts to identify and pursue further opportunities," said Image president and CEO Martin Greenwald.

Criterion president Peter Becker said, "After well over a decade's experience with us and our brand, Image understands what The Criterion Collection means, both to our core customers and to the retailers who help us reach a wider audience."

samsong

the covert art for the above mentioned october releases are up.

:inlove:

Gold Trumpet

Many thanks to those who have kept the news coming here. The recent Criterion newsletter has given us the tip that Criterion is wrapping up production on the long awaited DVD of Powell and Pressburger's Tales of Hoffmann. Speculate to the role Scorsesse will have in the DVD, if any.