The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Back on topic:

Please stop assuming that Across the Universe is a bad movie.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on December 02, 2007, 02:42:51 PM
IMAGINE how people with knowledge about filmmaking must feel, then, when they read essays by academics who are doing that all day everyday?
I called your comments redundant because, no matter how many words you use, your attitude towards films is no less alienating than people who just said "I loved it" about everything.  you're just as redundant, as the people you're trying hard to detest.

Alright asshole, I warned you. I told you the comments were inflammatory and were being taken as personal attacks. I told you to put some actual argument behind it because it's just a slam. You're not making a good point. The idea the world of the artist and critic alienates the other is stupid. You sound like a moron who assumes people who know anything about filmmaking have no regard for ANY critical observation. You're going to lump me with academics? Do you realize how UNLIKE academics my reviews are? I'm continually criticized on the academic front for being too personal. You attacking me for it shows how little you fucking know.

I'm closer to a general film critic who mixes intellectualism with emotions. I think it is purposeful to mix both. I really do. I just don't show emotions by saying how much feeling I had for a film on the ride home from the theater. I try to mix it in other ways. Look at my Into the Wild review. I took consider of the imperfections and made a comment about how they worked. Sounds like an academic review, but it's me giving into the power of the film. There are other ways to show emotions than talking like a ten year old, which you seem to do a lot of.

Here's the deal. I have been disingenuous with my some of my arguments on here. You were right to make the assumption earlier. See, you've showed me a lot of your short movies and asked for my comment. At first I gave you general "Hey, good job" stuff. A friend just supporting another. But the more films you showed me, the more I felt like I had to say something. So I asked you if you took notice of general filmmaking education at all. I thought the question could maybe lead into something, but you immediately got high and mighty by saying you didn't need it. Haha, you fucking do man. Stop representing the filmmaking world and learn a few basics. Your editing is everywhere and your compostion seems to have no structure. You want a style that seems like it was filmed on the go, but your filmmaking reminds me of the quote from Bull Durham, "He fucks like he pitches...sorta all over the place." Another name for amateur hour if you don't get the reference. Sound like a slam? Yea, I know the feeling. So you can now forever disregard my reviews because my post in Art Gallery about your short film, a very exasperated "Hey, great job!", is total bullshit. Haha, it really is.

Last summer, I had a friend complain to me about his girlfriend so much I told him to dump her. I finally said if he didn't I'd break his nose. He took me so seriously he dumped her the next day. If I ever meet you, I'm going to do the same, but not out of friendship.

we seem to be taking on two opposite sides of some sort of discussion, but I bet, in the eyes of the jackasses with no investment into either of our stances, they'll just say "oooh now THESE are the stupidest things ever said about movies", even though we're arguing opposite things!  That's because you're me, man.  You say you're someone else with a very different eye for films, but soon emotions and contradictions betray your arguments.  You're actually on my side, GT, arguing against yourself.  Take a step back, and I guarantee you, that the ocean is as wide as the sky.

Haha, like anyone else can understand that fucking paragraph.

hedwig

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 02, 2007, 03:50:44 PM
Last summer, I had a friend complain to me about his girlfriend so much I told him to dump her. I finally said if he didn't I'd break his nose. He took me so seriously he dumped her the next day. If I ever meet you, I'm going to do the same, but not out of friendship.

cron, thor, mogs and overme... and now, GT and pete.

so many brawls. i feel excluded.

if i ever meet you, DrumminDirector, i'm gonna make you bite the fucking curb!

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

pete

dear GT: despite how angry you may be right now, your ex-girlfriend is still a dumb cunt.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on December 02, 2007, 04:31:52 PM
dear GT: despite how angry you may be right now, your ex-girlfriend is still a dumb cunt.

You don't know her, but really, you two have a lot in common.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 02, 2007, 03:50:44 PM
we seem to be taking on two opposite sides of some sort of discussion, but I bet, in the eyes of the jackasses with no investment into either of our stances, they'll just say "oooh now THESE are the stupidest things ever said about movies", even though we're arguing opposite things!  That's because you're me, man.  You say you're someone else with a very different eye for films, but soon emotions and contradictions betray your arguments.  You're actually on my side, GT, arguing against yourself.  Take a step back, and I guarantee you, that the ocean is as wide as the sky.

Haha, like anyone else can understand that fucking paragraph.

i can. it's almost as beautiful as what the 14 year old (never) said.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

B.C. Long

Someone should adapt this into a short film. It should be called "Redundancy, Lies, and 14 Year Olds".

SiliasRuby

Quote from: B.C. Long on December 03, 2007, 12:17:43 AM
Someone should adapt this into a short film. It should be called "Redundancy, Lies, and 14 Year Olds".
sounds like an Todd Solondz film.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

samsong

pete

my friend N'jeri said she sat in front of some college kid during There Will Be Blood and the kid wouldn't stop groaning.  The kid also kept on squeezing his soda can and occasionally asked his date "where is this going?"  and then after the movie got out, N'jeri ran into some guy who said "Upton Lewis must be spinning in his grave."

I actually googled upton lewis to see how many people have confused upton sinclair and sinclair lewis, turned out only one person has, and it was Vladimir Nabokov!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Sleepless

spoils for Diving Bell And The Butterfly

At the end of 'The Diving Bell And The Butterfly' the card comes up with says he died 10 days after his book was published. And a woman a few seats across from me went "What? Is this based on a true story?"
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.