The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

Gold Trumpet

To be fair, your description of a cult movie as "weird" isn't that great either.

Gamblour.

You're right. I should've said: A cult film is a movie that attracts a small but devoted group of obsessive fans or one that has remained popular over successive years amongst a small group of followers. Often the film failed to achieve mainstream success on its original release, but this is not always the case. Sometimes the audience response to a cult film is somewhat different to what was intended by the film-makers, although usually a film that becomes "cult" started-out with unusual elements or subject matter.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Gold Trumpet

hedwig

"have you seen good luck chuck? it's like the funniest movie alive. it's all about sex but it's sooo funny."

The Red Vine

14 year old girl....

"Have you seen Across the Universe??? Oh my god, its the best. It made me believe in love and music! It's so weird, but so great!"
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

pete

that sounds really awesome actually.  it's not stupid.  theoretically speaking (if across the universe were a good movie for 14 year olds--I still haven't seen it).
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

john

Quote from: The Red Vine on November 29, 2007, 07:32:14 PM
14 year old girl....

"Have you seen Across the Universe??? Oh my god, its the best. It made me believe in love and music! It's so weird, but so great!"

How the fuck did you confuse Roger Ebert with a 14 year old girl?

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on November 29, 2007, 10:29:59 PM
that sounds really awesome actually.  it's not stupid.

exactly. besides being an exact copy of the structure of hedwig's quote (which actually happened), it's not really a stupid comment especially for a 14 year old girl. even if the movie sucks, it's a smart comment about a dumb movie. good for her.. may she live a long and fictional life.
under the paving stones.

john

Quote from: Pubrick on November 29, 2007, 10:40:39 PM
Quote from: pete on November 29, 2007, 10:29:59 PM
that sounds really awesome actually.  it's not stupid.

exactly. besides being an exact copy of the structure of hedwig's quote (which actually happened), it's not really a stupid comment especially for a 14 year old girl. even if the movie sucks, it's a smart comment about a dumb movie. good for her.. may she live a long and fictional life.

Totally. I'd imagine that her enjoyment from the film and what she took from it was a lot more honest and receptive than a lot of folks I've met that will praise a film by someone like Antonioni just to prove how much they "get it".

Across the Universe might be God-awful, but it wasn't to her.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

pete

Quote from: john on November 29, 2007, 10:53:46 PM

Totally. I'd imagine that her enjoyment from the film and what she took from it was a lot more honest and receptive than a lot of folks I've met that will praise a film by someone like Antonioni just to prove how much they "get it".

Across the Universe might be God-awful, but it wasn't to her.

I am replying just amplify your antonioni jab.  I was just posting some links under kitano's thread, and while searching for it, I stumbled upon no less than four TOTAL BULLSHIT posts that name-dropped him while wasting words on good filmmakers.  you know what a cynical, scholarly, but creepily enthusiastic analysis of a great film reminds me of?  a cool kid doing a cool backflip into the swimming pool and then his stupid sidekick jumping up and down waving his arms in excitement, but minus the cuteness or the innocence.  it's like, 45,000 words to say "look at this!  this is not the movie, this is nothing!"  this board should be like that stupid sidekick WITH the cuteness and the innocence.  Lets all talk like 14-year old Julie Taymore fans.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: pete on November 29, 2007, 11:15:59 PMLets all talk like 14-year old Julie Taymore fans.

If that's not a marquee candidate, I dunno what is.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: The Red Vine on November 29, 2007, 07:32:14 PM
14 year old girl....

It just sounds like a fourteen year old. I know people who equate films and music with only inner emotions. One of my ex girlfriends described everything she liked by first saying "I loved....". Then she would name such and such film or such and such band. I wondered if any other feelings or thoughts mattered. This fourteen year old girl could be saying the same thing about everything she likes. People always have their own reason for liking something, but I've heard bland statements like that by so many people who should know better that its just become trivial to me. I don't take it serious.

It's not bad because it's just a fourteen year old. I had no comprehension of shit back then.

The Red Vine

Quote from: Pubrick on November 29, 2007, 07:34:58 PM
that never happened.

Actually it did. It's becoming a word of mouth movie where I live. I figured it would be here for a week or two, but its been over a month and its still playing.

The comment is certainly not the "stupidest" thing I've heard, but it was still pretty amazing to hear considering my hatred for the film. It's like listening to women go on and on about "Pearl Harbor" or "The Notebook". Fine for them, but it doesn't get easier to listen to.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">