The stupidest thing you've heard someone say about a movie..

Started by CollinBullock, March 29, 2003, 02:00:00 PM

Gold Trumpet

Alright, I'm going to follow up my unnecessary comparison piece of Goodfellas and Dances With Wolves with an actual contribution, even though I despise this thread. I dislike the word "stupid" in the context of the title of the thread. This thread does more for promoting us to lord over our supposed intelligence instead of just post funny comments or make fun of ourselves. So I wont call this comment stupid but it is ridiculous and only could fit here. It's a review from the 1970s for Truffaut's The Wild Child. It recalls a press conference Truffaut gave for the film,

"At a press conference after the showing of his new film at the New York Festival, Francois Truffaut was asked why he made it in black and white. He said that when he saw the zoom lens used in Pasolini's Gospel According to Saint Matthew, he found himself thinking there was no zooms lens in the time of Christ; and similarly felt there was no color film in 1798, the period of The Wild Child."

w/o horse

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on August 19, 2007, 04:01:17 AM
See, Dances With Wolves isn't innovative or even grand, but it is better handled and the story is more important. Costner wasn't treading on new ground here. He was telling a story another filmmaker did tell, but that filmmaker was Sam Fuller who in the 1950s told a less than poular story in Run of the Arrow. Fuller saw Dances With Wolves and complemented it as homage. As Howard Zinn said in a People's History of the United States, there is great truth to whites leaving for Indian settlements.

Damn, I didn't expect to go this long. I think I wrote this for the wrong thread.

. . .
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on September 17, 2007, 12:45:01 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on August 19, 2007, 04:01:17 AM
See, Dances With Wolves isn't innovative or even grand, but it is better handled and the story is more important. Costner wasn't treading on new ground here. He was telling a story another filmmaker did tell, but that filmmaker was Sam Fuller who in the 1950s told a less than poular story in Run of the Arrow. Fuller saw Dances With Wolves and complemented it as homage. As Howard Zinn said in a People's History of the United States, there is great truth to whites leaving for Indian settlements.

Damn, I didn't expect to go this long. I think I wrote this for the wrong thread.

. . .

No replies I hate more than ones like this. Is that suppose to undermine my stance on Dances With Wolves? Do you add anything with that? Or is it just a straight up asshole reply?

w/o horse

It was a legitimate contribution to this thread. 

I think sometimes you consider it more important to have a position in opposition than to accurately consider the weight of what you are saying.  Who was that guy that posted here who wrote about War of the Worlds being the birth of new-cinema?  And not on any fucking day of the week are you going to tell me that Dances with Wolves is the greater achievement here because "he was telling a story another filmmaker did tell, but that filmmaker was Sam Fuller who in the 1950s told a less than poular story in Run of the Arrow."  That's such heavy handed rationalization it's illegitimate.

But it was lighthearted.  Rigid film theorists have their place.  The canon should certainly always be questioned.  There is yet more to room to move forward.  I believe and agree with these things.  Sometimes I just have to laugh at the amount of dedication you have towards reestablishing the parameters by which we're all supposed to be judging films.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on September 17, 2007, 10:35:58 AM
It was a legitimate contribution to this thread. 

No, you actually saying something is a legitimate contribution. Three periods after all I've written is just smugness. You may think I got a little too mad, but your post hit a pet peeve of mine.

I think sometimes you consider it more important to have a position in opposition than to accurately consider the weight of what you are saying.  Who was that guy that posted here who wrote about War of the Worlds being the birth of new-cinema? 

I don't give a shit about just being in opposition. I say what I believe in. I read what that guy said about War of Worlds. He said it with such minimal explanation that I didn't take it serious. I don't take comments without explanation serious either. That's why I explain because I know my viewpoints won't be taken serious by other people. The length of my post speaks to that.

And not on any fucking day of the week are you going to tell me that Dances with Wolves is the greater achievement here because "he was telling a story another filmmaker did tell, but that filmmaker was Sam Fuller who in the 1950s told a less than poular story in Run of the Arrow."  That's such heavy handed rationalization it's illegitimate.

The Sam Fuller comment was an anecdote, but the position stands. Both Goodfellas and Dances With Wolves are Hollywood fluff. Goodfellas, as I've explained, deals with nothing new. It actually reverts back to older cliches of the gangster genre. I think the fact that Dances With Wolves is a nod to an unwritten part of history makes it more interesting to me.

Sometimes I just have to laugh at the amount of dedication you have towards reestablishing the parameters by which we're all supposed to be judging films.

There are no bigger motivations to my posts than to explain myself. Sometimes grand statements are made, but I've counted everyone on here as criminals to grand statements. I've also considered 80% of their grand statements illegitimate because I had no understanding of what they meant by it. I try to get people to understand what I meant by it.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This wasn't about A movie, but movies in general:

I was in a group in class, we finished the assignment early, so we all started talking about our major.  There was a girl in the group who was a film major so I asked her if she had seen any good movies lately.  Her response was, and I quote:

"I don't watch movies, I make them."

So I thought she was kidding and laughed a little, to which she corrected herself:

"Well, the movies I do see are only on a technicality, since they're playing at the festivals that I submit my material to."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

picolas

owner of a movie rental store: is Pan's Labyrinth a horror movie or a thriller?
me: it's not really either.. it's more of a.. drama or fantasy.

if i had to pick one of those two i'd say horror.

owner of a movie rental store: yeah. horror! thought so.

MacGuffin

Quote from: picolas on September 26, 2007, 01:17:19 AM

It's Foreign. Am I right, Lucid?  :yabbse-wink:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

its Mexican :)

Anything in Spanish for Americans HAS TO BE Mexican... there is nothing else than Mexico south of Texas. Actually one guy that reviewed one of our Argentinean films in Amazon one time said that our movie was Mexican, from a province in Mexico called Argentina...  :ponder:

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: kal on September 26, 2007, 01:57:01 AM
its Mexican :)

Anything in Spanish for Americans HAS TO BE Mexican... there is nothing else than Mexico south of Texas. Actually one guy that reviewed one of our Argentinean films in Amazon one time said that our movie was Mexican, from a province in Mexico called Argentina...  :ponder:

Don't worry. For some dumb stupid fucks, Portugal is also a province in Spain. Long live ignorance.

Quote from: WalrusThis wasn't about A movie, but movies in general:

I was in a group in class, we finished the assignment early, so we all started talking about our major.  There was a girl in the group who was a film major so I asked her if she had seen any good movies lately.  Her response was, and I quote:

So I thought she was kidding and laughed a little, to which she corrected herself:

"Well, the movies I do see are only on a technicality, since they're playing at the festivals that I submit my material to."

What the fuck?? WHAT THE FUCK???
Si

Pubrick

Quote from: Walrus on September 26, 2007, 12:26:44 AM
There was a girl in the group who was a film major so I asked her if she had seen any good movies lately.  Her response was, and I quote:

so.. did you hit that?
under the paving stones.

squints

Quote from: picolas on September 26, 2007, 01:17:19 AM

We put in the Guillermo Del Toro section...right next to Mimic!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ElPandaRoyal

This shit happened a loooong time ago (when I went to a preview of Hero).

When the movie was playing, there was this stupid dumb-ass cocksmoker constantly talking in the seat in front of mine. I mean, he was just asking to be shooshed. We gave him some time to stop being an ass, but after five more minutes of constantly annoying shit, we told him something like this:

WE: Shut up in front!
THE GUY: Why, do you guys want to sleep?

That was followed by an unconfortable silence and after that moment of self-embarrassment, the guy didn't say another word.
Si

Neil

Set-up: I work in a movie gallery in southern Illinois.

Me: did you see black snake moan yet, i really-

Man: Yeah I saw it, and i was offended that they made that nigger look like a hero---"

Me: . . .

Man: I would've hung that dirty nigger

Me: don't you think that's a little primitive?

Man: Well, it's either that, or drag him behind my truck.

another went something like...

Man enters store and i greet him

Man: (handing me pan's labyrinth)can i switch this out for something else, this one is all subtitles.

Me: yeah, sure, just pick something else out and we'll get you setup

Man:(after looking around) did you have this (pan's labyrinth) in english

Me: Nope, it's a spanish film, but you can exchange it for anything you want

(man goes to pick something else out)

Man: god, that's so dumb. why would someone make a movie like that?

Me: maybe, because not everyone is from america

people.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

That first one never happened, the second one I believe. I worked in an Indie store for two years when I was in New England and luckily never got any of that because everyone who went in their were yuppie, hipster douchebags who could name all the filmmakers but never any of their films.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.