Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

ono

Quote from: neatahwanta
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI was a bit disappointed with Kill Bill, but still, it was a great experience....

My thoughts are way too jumbled, much like the film itself, for me to provide any sort of coherent criticism or comments or whathaveya.  Good experience, but nowhere in the ballpark of his previous attempts.  Even still, it is one of the best half films of the year.  **** (9/10)

You guys watch too many movies.   :shock:
What does that have to do with anything I said?

ElPandaRoyal

Si

Ernie

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: neatahwanta
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI was a bit disappointed with Kill Bill, but still, it was a great experience....

My thoughts are way too jumbled, much like the film itself, for me to provide any sort of coherent criticism or comments or whathaveya.  Good experience, but nowhere in the ballpark of his previous attempts.  Even still, it is one of the best half films of the year.  **** (9/10)

You guys watch too many movies.   :shock:
What does that have to do with anything I said?

I was thinking he might think that you've already seen multiple movies that conveyed the same things that Kill Bill was trying to convey. Like, you've seen it all before. I could be wrong...I don't know.

Steve McQueen's ghost

Fight scenes?

Kill Bill kicks major ass over the Matrix flicks.

My first point, and it has nothing to do with fight scenes:

"My name is Buck and I'm here to fuck" has more depth to it than every line stonerboy says.  Can't you just see Reeves taking a drag off of a joint and saying "Whoa! Dude! You mean like....like the matrix is ummm.. like..umm...in my head?......Whoa!!! That's EXCELLENT!" I'm sorry, it's just weak. There were some good ideas in Matrix and glossy FX. I can see why you SciFi fanboys love it so much. Just don't try to compare some slick CGI SciFi stuff to a QT epic. It just won't wash. QT is, hmmm, how shall I put this, the Jedi master film maker. You can't fuck with the
Jedi master. BTW, Uma's character is MUCH more interesting.

As for fighting? Ill stick with Bill.

modage

Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is #1 at the Box Office
Source: Coming Soon! Sunday, October 12, 2003

Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 1, starring Uma Thurman, topped the box office with an estimated $22.7 million. The action film debuted in 3,102 theaters and averaged $7,312 per location.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

prophet

Rank   Title   Weekend    Total Gross
1   Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)   22.5m    22.5m
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

tpfkabi

i'm thinking this film will do quite well, especially after word of mouth gets going.

if so, this will be great because i don't think anyone will ever question Tarantino on money, length, etc of his films ever again.

has he talked about his the war script he did lately? (i'm guessing not since he's right in the middle of KB hype)

edit.
doing a little surfing i found this interview. it tells some little things about Vol. 2 but nothing major i don't think.....and it answers my question above (or at least as good as it can be answered)

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article640.html
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Banky

Quote from: Steve McQueen's ghostFight scenes?

Kill Bill kicks major ass over the Matrix flicks.

My first point, and it has nothing to do with fight scenes:

"My name is Buck and I'm here to fuck" has more depth to it than every line stonerboy says.  Can't you just see Reeves taking a drag off of a joint and saying "Whoa! Dude! You mean like....like the matrix is ummm.. like..umm...in my head?......Whoa!!! That's EXCELLENT!" I'm sorry, it's just weak. There were some good ideas in Matrix and glossy FX. I can see why you SciFi fanboys love it so much. Just don't try to compare some slick CGI SciFi stuff to a QT epic. It just won't wash. QT is, hmmm, how shall I put this, the Jedi master film maker. You can't fuck with the
Jedi master. BTW, Uma's character is MUCH more interesting.

As for fighting? Ill stick with Bill.

thats a bullshit post

smash

I personally had a much more enjoyable experience watching Kill Bill over Reloaded.

As I watched Reloaded all I could think about was how bad Keanu is, how obvious some of the CGI was, and how much I hated the philosophical filler bullshit.  The action was intense and done very very well, but the story was killing me.  The goddamn Architect just tried to talk over the audience's head and that irritated me.

But as I watched Kill Bill, I was loving everything.  The acting, the various shots, the music, and the (while minimal) plot.  Kill Bill just seemed artful and entertaining, while Reloaded seemed like it was too full of itself to be interesting.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MrBurgerKingKill Bill is like walking into Burger King and ordering three whopper value meals with extra mayo.. having no shame in sitting there eating it all yourself while everyone watches you.

You have me hungry for some Whoppers and Kill Bill, Mr.BK.  I commend you, for I am not a fast food frequent as yourself.

On another note, did anyone notice 5 little red dots on the screen?  It didn't detract from the movie, and it might have been the fault of the theater, but every once in a while, five dots would appear on the screen and it only seemed to happen on the second floor where Lucy Liu wait for Uma Thurman.  

Anyone else catch this?  As random as it was, it seemed to have a pattern.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Weak2ndAct

Okay, so I guess I'll end up perpetuating the whole Matrix/KB argument.  IT IS valid to compare to the two-- I mean, both movies have the same fight choreographer and both filmmakers cite the same movies as inspiration.  

And let me just preface this next comment by saying that I really did like Kill Bill a whole lot: but can you honestly say that the wire-fu moments in KB were *good*?  I felt they stuck out like a sore thumb and weren't executed as well as they could have been.

Ghostboy

It's definitely a pattern. It's sort of like a watermark to prevent piracy...so they'll know what theater a bootleg might have come from. Not that that actually will help in catching the pirate, but oh well. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oh.  My friends said the 5 dots had to mean something, but then I thought to myself how only Lynch would do somethign artsy like that    haha
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

matrix takes itself way too seriously.  i honestly never enjoyed the first one, and have never even seen reloaded, i doubt ill see revolutions, but hey, you never know.  i loved kill bill tho.  so much so much so much fun.

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyIt's definitely a pattern. It's sort of like a watermark to prevent piracy...so they'll know what theater a bootleg might have come from. Not that that actually will help in catching the pirate, but oh well. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

I guess the theory is that if a print is stolen and telecined, it is likely that a projectionist smuggled the print out, possibly motivating the theater to fire him.  Not that the pirates can't just edit out the offending frames.

I recently read about the dots and was surprised I never noticed them.  They were quite prominent in the b&w House of Blue Leaves fight in Kill Bill, and I noticed them in one or two color scenes.  Now I will notice the dots forever...