Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

Finn

Hey picolas, what movie is your avatar clip from? I know I've seen it somewhere before.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ravi

Quote from: picolas
- the most violent, shocking thing i've ever seen. it absolutely shot me in the back of the head repeatedly, stopping only to throw my unrecognizably shattered mess of a skull off Mount Everest.

It ws bloody, but I can't say I was shocked or grossed out buy it.  The geysers of blood made me laugh.  Maybe I'm a callous asshole.  Now I gotta go torture kitties so I can feel something.

- some of the acting was ridiculous

I thought the actors did a great job walking the fine line of taking the subject matter too seriously and being overly campy.

picolas

Quote from: SydneyHey picolas, what movie is your avatar clip from? I know I've seen it somewhere before.
it's a Fargotar.

Quote from: Ravi
- some of the acting was ridiculous

I thought the actors did a great job walking the fine line of taking the subject matter too seriously and being overly campy.
yeah. for the most part i thought it was pretty good, but it got strange a lot. Bill was really great.  the biggest offender was Fox.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

spoilers i guess --

i agree with, ahh i forget who it was who said it, and i don't feel like going back to look, but whoever said they loved the reveal at the end about the bride's baby, i absolutely fucking loved it too.  now, having read the script about a year ago, i knew about it before seeing the film, but it was PERFECTLY executed in the movie.  the only thing that bugged me in this film was when o-ren ishii sliced off boss tanakas head.  it just looked a little too goofy for me.  not the whole scene, just the (i think) two shots of it flying through the air.  the rest of the scene, before and after the decapitation, was great.  and so was the movie.  and the beginning with the bride, then the credits, absolutely kicked ass.

mutinyco

He knocked Intolerable Cruelty and can't even recognize Fargo...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Finn

Ernie

Quote from: RaviIt ws bloody, but I can't say I was shocked or grossed out buy it.  The geysers of blood made me laugh.  Maybe I'm a callous asshole.  Now I gotta go torture kitties so I can feel something.

Oh no man, I don't think anybody was very shocked by that stuff. This coming from somebody who didn't have any walkouts (surprisingly) at his screening. But I digress, I thought that stuff was pretty easy to watch myself...it was cartoonish. It was like Wile E Coyote falling off a cliff.

Now, I'll admit that there was some stuff that really got to me. Whether they were intended to or not, I don't know. But I was shocked by the Vivica A fight cause of the kid and all (and the cereal box) and then of course the first gunshot in the movie (you know the one), that got to me...and then I was a pretty disturbed by the whole thing "Buck" was doing...cause that was just awful. I didn't read the script or anything mind you. Not a page of it. So I knew very little about this movie going in. I mean, I knew a lot about it's production and the characters, but I knew so little about the plot. I learned my lesson with PDL, I never want to know that much about a movie before I see it again. It made Kill Bill such a great experience. That's why I was shocked by all of that stuff. That's probably why I loved the end (and so many scenes) more than others. With PDL, I did everything but read the script, and I still loved it to death....one of the best experiences I've had (cause you can never truly RUIN a PTA movie)...but I would have rather known a lot less about it. I know how good it can feel now with Kill Bill.

Other than that stuff, yea, I wasn't grossed out or disturbed or shocked by any of it. The gory stuff didn't get to me at all, nor did the anime. I didn't laugh at it. There were some REALLY forced laughs by some fanboys at some of that stuff...it was really awkward. They were trying to be cool. I'm not saying it wasn't funny, but I didn't think it was something to double over about.

I really think this is a more serious movie than it's been advertised as. The music and the cinematography just makes it so haunting to me. I don't, maybe I'm reading it all wrong or not getting some joke but I think it's a pretty serious movie overall. Sure, there's quite a bit of b-movie level campy stuff...but it's never taken too far or repeated too often. I was worried it would be too silly for my taste since I'm not as into the trashy flicks as Quentin is...I was hoping for more of a spaghetti western, Roger Corman, Kurosawa samurai film than a parody...and it was really closer to the former than to the latter I think. The above shocking scenes, the haunting music, and the absolutely horrible things the many characters have done or went through made it a very REAL, serious movie with heart and a humane quality. Again, the Matrix can not compete.

Ravi

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: RaviIt ws bloody, but I can't say I was shocked or grossed out buy it.  The geysers of blood made me laugh.  Maybe I'm a callous asshole.  Now I gotta go torture kitties so I can feel something.

I was shocked by the Vivica A fight just cause of the kid and all (and the cereal box) and then of course the first gunshot in the movie (you know the one)...and then I was a pretty disturbed by the whole thing "Buck" was doing...cause that was just awful. I didn't read the script or anything mind you. Not a page of it. So I knew very little about this movie going in. I mean, I knew a lot about it's production and the characters, but I knew so little about the plot. I learned my lesson with PDL, I never want to know that much about a movie before I see it again. It made Kill Bill such a great experience. That's why I was shocked by all of that stuff. That's probably why I loved the end (and so many scenes) more than others. With PDL, I did everything but read the script, and I still loved it to death....one of the best experiences I've had (cause you can never truly RUIN a PTA movie)...but I would have rather known a lot less about it. I know how good it can feel now with Kill Bill.

The Fox scene was startling because of the gunshot and the domestic setting.

I avoided as best as I could any details about the film before seeing it.  I didn't read the script, and I changed the channel when a clip from the film or a commercial was shown.

Other than that stuff, yea, I wasn't grossed out or disturbed or shocked by any of it. The gory stuff didn't get to me at all, nor did the anime. I didn't laugh at it. There were some REALLY forced laughs by some fanboys at some of that stuff...it was really awkward. They were trying to be cool. I'm not saying it wasn't funny, but I didn't think it was something to double over about.

I laughed when Lucy Liu chopped off that guy's head because of all the spewing blood.  There was one guy in the theater laughing a little too hard at some stuff.

I really think this is a more serious movie than it's been advertised as. The music and the cinematography just makes it so haunting to me. I don't, maybe I'm reading it all wrong or not getting some joke but I think it's a pretty serious movie overall. Sure, there's quite a bit of b-movie level campy stuff...but it's never taken too far. I was hoping it would be too silly but it was really quite the opposite.

By not ramping up the camp, Tarantino shows some respect for the genres he is tributing.  They're serious films, but they're also fun.  I'm sure with volume 2, the whole story will have a nearly epic feel to it.

Ernie

Quote from: RaviI laughed when Lucy Liu chopped off that guy's head because of all the spewing blood.  There was one guy in the theater laughing a little too hard

Yea, you know what I mean. It's funny but there were people really trying to make the movie a comedy. I don't know why but it seemed like that's what they were trying to do. Maybe the guy was with a girl or something and wanted her to be in on the joke or be more comfortable...I don't get it.

Quote from: RaviBy not ramping up the camp, Tarantino shows some respect for the genres he is tributing.  They're serious films, but they're also fun.  I'm sure with volume 2, the whole story will have a nearly epic feel to it.

Can you go around making me sound smarter than I really am all the time? You got it exactly right again man. He really executed it all perfectly. I'm so glad he really did it right and he was smart and didn't just take the easy way out...he didn't get lazy and try to make a one note (campy) film. It's cause he has too many favorite movies...too many favorite genres. He made it complex and like you said, epic. I'm starting to sound like Harry Knowles now, I know, but I'm just excited. I think I have a right to be...one of my favorite directors delivered the movie I wanted after six years...that's something to be excited about. He delivered a better movie than what I wanted. I've waited so long.

neatahwanta

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI was a bit disappointed with Kill Bill, but still, it was a great experience....

My thoughts are way too jumbled, much like the film itself, for me to provide any sort of coherent criticism or comments or whathaveya.  Good experience, but nowhere in the ballpark of his previous attempts.  Even still, it is one of the best half films of the year.  **** (9/10)

You guys watch too many movies.   :shock:

Banky

Quote from: Shadow BoxinThe dynamics of a fight scene change drastically depending on the weapons involved, such as the use of swords in "Kill Bill." That being said, I really dont think you should compare the fight scenes in Kill Bill with those in "The Matrix."

go watch Reloaded buddy

Quote from: neatahwanta
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI was a bit disappointed with Kill Bill, but still, it was a great experience....

My thoughts are way too jumbled, much like the film itself, for me to provide any sort of coherent criticism or comments or whathaveya.  Good experience, but nowhere in the ballpark of his previous attempts.  Even still, it is one of the best half films of the year.  **** (9/10)

exactly

Sleuth

I just got raped by Kill Bill

:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:
I like to hug dogs

Uma Thurman has the most beautiful ugly feet I've ever seen. I love how he focuses on them for so long, that this uncomfortable silence fills the theatre.

Fernando

*** SPOILERS ***

First things first, I don't want to read any whining about paying to see for both films or DVD's, I already had to travel to see it and you could say this ticket cost me a little over $100 bucks, so don't whine!  :wink:
BTW, went to the 11.30am show and there were just seven people in, it was sweet!

Well, I can say categorically that this film worth every penny spent, it was wonderful and makes you leave the theater wanting to see it again and again. Everything was superb.

Uma's performance as someone already said was truly amazing and most of all, believable and with a purpose, and contrary to what Ebert said about it (he said: 'The movie is not about anything at all except the skill and humor of its making' & in the tv show 'light in its story') also he praised it highly but I differ completely with his comments about story, KB does have a story, it's not just eye candy or a well crafter action flim, the characters had depth, and a reason to be there, I'm sure QT could make a movie out of any of them, and surely in Volume 2 we'll see more of them. We can take Lucy's character as an example, she was like this because of her parents murder.

Even though all members of DiVAS are shit, I couldn't help but care for some of them when they died or were left in agony, like the mutilation of Sofie Fatale (she's so beautiful BTW), one can only wonder what else Uma cut, also for Liu's as I feel she's a victim because of her troubled childhood to say the least; however I won't have this feeling for Madsen's character (don't know why but I feel that way), as I didn't care for the worthless pieces of shit of Buck and the other rapist. Speaking of Buck, am I the only one who thinks he should suffer way more than he did?

Regarding the Matrix vs. KB thing, I think they're so different that is not possible to compare them, I know that you're comparing fight sequences and the staging of them, but, the films are in opossite universes, one virtual one 'real', IMO there it lies why one was made this way or another; besides, can't we just enjoy both films without comparing them? Is it imperative that we have to compare every single thing that comes out? I love both, and they're so different that it won't do any justice to argue which one is better.

Finally, noticed that in some of the trailers are scenes from Volume 2, I guess they were made before the splitting.

A lot of rambling I did, so if you made it to the end, thanks.