Fahrenheit 9/11

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 01, 2003, 09:21:36 AM

Ravi

Great review, Ghostboy.

Moore could have really hammered the Patriot Act more than reading part of it from an ice cream truck speaker.

It boggles my mind that people support Bush at all.  I'm not talking about rich businessmen, I'm talking about regular people.  That they don't know a damn thing about him is disturbing.  But it is even more disturbing when people know this stuff and support him anyways.

mutinyco

What scumbags. Read this:

Hitler Image Used in Bush Campaign Web Ad
By JENNIFER C. KERR

WASHINGTON (AP) - Adolf Hitler's image has surfaced again in the White House race. President Bush's campaign is featuring online video of the Nazi dictator, taken down months ago from a liberal group's Web site and disavowed, in a spot that intersperses clips of speeches by Democrats John Kerry, Al Gore and Howard Dean.

Democrats want the video pulled from the site. Campaign aides said it would remain.

Republicans had criticized the group MoveOn.org in January because it briefly posted an ad contest entry that linked Hitler and Bush. It showed images of Bush with text saying, ``God told me to strike at al-Qaida,'' before turning to images of Hitler with the words, ``And then He instructed me to strike at Saddam.'' The submission ended with the words, ``Sound familiar?'' on a black and white screen.

The group later said the entry was in ``poor taste'' and pulled it from its site.

The 77-second video on the Bush-Cheney re-election site splices footage of Kerry, the presumptive nominee, and his 2004 rival Dean along with 2000 nominee Gore and film director Michael Moore. The spot calls them Kerry's ``Coalition of the Wild-eyed.'' Clips of Hitler's image are seen throughout the spot.

``The use of Adolf Hitler by any campaign, politician or party is simply wrong,'' said Kerry's campaign, Mary Beth Cahill, who called on the GOP campaign to remove the Web video from its site.

``We're using the video from MoveOn.org to show our supporters the type of vitriolic rhetoric being used by the president's opponents and John Kerry's surrogates,'' said Scott Stanzel, a spokesman for the Bush-Cheney re-election campaign.

The Bush-Cheney video spot appeared on the campaign Web site Thursday and was sent electronically to 6 million supporters.

The online spot begins with clips of Gore assailing the Bush administration. ``How dare they drag the good name of the United States of America through the mud of Saddam Hussein's torture prison,'' Gore shouts during a public speech.

It then cuts to an image of Hitler, followed Dean, Moore and Rep. Dick Gephardt, D-Mo., all bashing Bush. There are more clips of Hitler, Gore and then Kerry, before the screen cuts to the words, ``This is not a time for pessimism and rage.'' Video images of Bush follow.

A disclaimer was added to the beginning of the Web spot on Saturday afternoon to explain that the video contains ``remarks made by and images from ads sponsored by Kerry supporters.'' The disclaimer also accuses Kerry of failing to denounce those who have compared Hitler to Bush.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This movie was pretty damn good.

It was better than BFC, even though that was good, too.

Moore's movies keep getting better and better, so I can't wait for his next one.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

i couldnt believe how packed the theatre was out here in the suburbs on a saturday night, but there it was.  pretty incredible.  i went into this movie not knowing how i would feel about it though i liked Roger and Me and really liked Bowling for Columbine.  (is it possible to be a republican and a michael moore fan?)  i'm surprised he didnt reiterate some of the things from BFC about how we trained and gave money to Osama, Sadaam etc. for any of the viewers who a. didnt know or b. didnt see that film.  he may have spent a little too much time with the woman who lost her son, although i realize it was to put a human face to things, he should've gotten to a few more soldiers families perhaps as well. the movie was pretty good, although i still prefer BFC as a more effective and emotional film for me personally.  this did, make me a little sick however.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyMoore makes one error that I think might harm his case; he shows us an pre-war Iraq that is a happy and cheerful place. The country is tantamount to some extreme level of hell now -- but it wasn't a picnic before we were there, either.
I think that's about as serious as his NRA/KKK connection. It's a subtle joke, but a joke nonetheless... I mean, with the reflection of the kite in the water and everything, how can that not be tongue-in-cheek?

Quote from: Ghostboybut his stunts here have an urgency and hopelessness to them
They certainly do, but in a strange way, I think that's the point. They simply show the distance between people and the government, which is more an artistic statement than a documentary revelation.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Ghostboybut his stunts here have an urgency and hopelessness to them
They certainly do, but in a strange way, I think that's the point. They simply show the distance between people and the government, which is more an artistic statement than a documentary revelation.

Yeah, I actually meant my comment in a good way -- I found that urgency and hopelessness made the film all the more effective. I laughed when those congressmen went out of their way to avoid them, but all in all, it was more sad than funny.

abuck1220

f9/11 made $21.8 million this weekend, good for #1 in the country. white chicks, the #2 movie, played on 3 times as many screens.

Alethia

white chicks came in number two?  fuck, i hope that sinks quick

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

El Duderino

i saw it yesterday and i thought it was great. moore has such an amazing editing team. but overall, the movie just pissed me off. i consider myself a liberal independent and seeing all that shit the dubya and bandar bush and others were doing, it just made me mad. but the last line really made it for me and i was in a packed theatre full of cheering people, it was great
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

grand theft sparrow

This is the power of cinema right here.  I can't think of a film that has been more immediately socially relevant. Definitely not in the US, that's for sure.

A common criticism of Fahrenheit was that there's nothing particularly new here.  That's true enough; anyone who has read the newspapers over the last few years would have come across most of what Moore talked about in the film (though I was taken aback when I heard that tidbit about Hamid Karzai) but the reason for the film's existence is that, since a lot of people don't read the news every day, this is the best way to get it out to them.  

One of best things Moore did was to take great care not to make TOO many cheap shots at Bush.  Sure, he had his share, but he never portrayed Bush as an idiot.  The closest he came (besides that great ending) was off of Prince Bandar's reference to Osama bin Laden as a "simple, quiet guy."  All the other footage was Bush making himself look bad.  Yes, Moore picked that footage for a reason but it made Bush look more like a prick than an idiot.  The way he can't even give a reporter a straightforward answer in August 2001 about why he's not in Washington.  Having a sense of humor when dealing with the press in easy times is one thing, necessary to the job I'm sure.  Being condescending when you're the leader of the free world is another.

Just curious to know from the xixaxers in red states, what were the audience reactions where you saw it?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Ghostboy
War supporters will point out that no mention is made of the good the war has done; to which one might ask them what good they're speaking of. The removal of Saddam is, of course, some sort of questionable accomplishment...

first off...................great job on your review..........and all the others who posted their thougts i really want to see this.........

but.

the republican in me cant help but mention that THE REMOVAL OF SADDAM IS WITHOUT QUESTION A POSTITIVE...thats like saying was it a good thing that hitler was put of power?....

matt35mm

I think everybody, including Michael Moore (cuz I heard him say it on Conan), can agree that it's a good thing that Saddam is gone.

Maybe Ghostboy meant that the way in which it was done is questionable.

mutinyco

Quote from: NEON MERCURYbut.

the republican in me cant help but mention that THE REMOVAL OF SADDAM IS WITHOUT QUESTION A POSTITIVE...thats like saying was it a good thing that hitler was put of power?....

First of all, we need to call in Max Von Sydow to exorcise the Republican in you. Yeah, I don't think anybody's going to argue that Saddam's removal was a bad thing. The question is: was it of immediate necessity? Most learned people at this point would say it wasn't.

He wasn't involved with al Qaeda. That's a fact. He didn't have weapons of mass destruction. That's a fact. Yet the Bush administration, having based its reasoning for invasion on these principles, is still claiming he was and he had.

They're liars. And over 800 Americans have died so far, including thousands injured, not the mention the tens of thousands of Iraqi casualities, because of these lies.

By the way, am I the only person who felt like Moore arranged his Iraq sequences to play very much like the Vietnam sequences in Full Metal Jacket?

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: NEON MERCURYthe republican in me cant help but mention that THE REMOVAL OF SADDAM IS WITHOUT QUESTION A POSTITIVE...thats like saying was it a good thing that hitler was put of power?....
do u know anything about hitler? or are u just using him as a name like ppl use the word Einstein to mean smart without knowing a goddamn thing about him..
under the paving stones.