The Da Vinci Code

Started by MacGuffin, May 18, 2005, 12:50:41 PM

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer here.

Release Date: May 19th, 2006 (wide)

Cast: Tom Hanks (Dr. Robert Langdon), Audrey Tautou (Agent Sophie Neveu), Jean Reno (Captain Bezu Fache), Ian McKellen (Sir Leigh Teabing), Alfred Molina (Bishop Aringarosa)

Director: Ron Howard (Parenthood, A Beautiful Mind, Willow, Apollo 13, Cinderella Man)

Screenwriter: Akiva Goldsman (Lost in Space, Batman & Robin, A Beautiful Mind; cowriter of Cinderella Man)

Based Upon: This movie is based upon the mystery/suspense novel by Dan Brown.

Premise: When respected American religious symbology expert Dr. Robert Langdon (Hanks) is summoned to the Louvre by the French version of the FBI, led by Captain Fezu Bache (Reno), he soon discovered that he is the #1 suspect for the murder of a historian Langdon had been scheduled to meet with. Assisted by a French cryptographer and government agent named Sophie (Tautou), Langdon is challenged to decipher a chain of cryptic codes and puzzles, all the while trying to stay ahead of Bache's lawmen in a chase through the Louvre, and out into the Parisian cityscape, and finally across the channel to England. Can Langdon and Sophie decipher the nature of a secret dating back to Leonardo Da Vinci (and even earlier) before those responsible for the historian's murder add them to their hit list?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

hanks is all wrong for this.

not like i liked the book or anything....
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Ghostboy

This trailer is as bad as the synopsis of the novel from the book's dust jacket.

B.C. Long

Sigur Rós

I love the speaker in that teaser.

MacGuffin

Code Reveals Bettany
Silas has been cast.

Variety reports that Paul Bettany will reunite with his A Beautiful Mind director Ron Howard for the latter's next project, the big-screen adaptation of Dan Brown's best-selling The Da Vinci Code.

The trade claims Bettany will portray the villainous albino Silas. The character has become controversial, with many groups protesting the depiction of an albino as evil.

Bettany's credits include Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Wimbledon and A Knight's Tale.

The Da Vinci Code begins filming next month for a May 2006 release. Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, Ian McKellen, Jean Reno and Alfred Molina star.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinJean Reno
hahaha. good luck, ron.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Brazoliange

too bad they aren't doing Angels and Demons, far superior book.
Long live the New Flesh

pete

haha, of course you'd read Dan Brown.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

British Abbey rejects Da Vinci Code film plans

Producers of the upcoming movie based on the blockbuster novel "The Da Vinci Code" were not allowed to film in Britain's Westminster Abbey after church officials denounced the book as "theologically unsound."

The 940-year-old London Abbey, where British monarchs are crowned, features in the international murder mystery by U.S. author Dan Brown which has been condemned by the Vatican and Anglican Church leaders for distorting the Christian message.

The novel alleges Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children, whereas Christians are taught that Christ never married and was childless when he was crucified.

"Although a real page turner, 'The Da Vinci code' is theologically unsound and we cannot commend or endorse the contentious and wayward religious and historic suggestions made in the book -- nor its views of Christianity and the New Testament," the Abbey said in a statement.

"It would therefore be inappropriate to film scenes from the book here."

Last week officials at Lincoln Cathedral in eastern England said they had agreed to allow their building to be used by the makers of the forthcoming film, which stars Tom Hanks as the book's central character Professor Robert Langdon.

The statement from Westminster Abbey, which appears in scenes toward the end of Brown's novel, also insisted some of the book's details were factually inaccurate.

It said it would be providing the Abbey's marshals with information to clear up the mistakes for visiting tourists drawn to the church by its appearance in The Da Vinci Code.

"We are already receiving regular, daily inquiries related to the book and we expect these to continue and even grow in the next couple of years, even with no effort on our own part, simply because the book is so popular," its statement said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Good: The freakin' Louvre.

Bad: Am I going to have to pay for a damn ticket before I get to hear Audrey Tautou speak English?

Wins: Tom Hanks' wig-maker.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on December 14, 2005, 01:06:58 PM
Good: The freakin' Louvre.

Bad: Am I going to have to pay for a damn ticket before I get to hear Audrey Tautou speak English?

Agreed. Except, I still didn't like this trailer. Aint It Cool is hamming this bitch up.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Or you could rent Dirty Pretty Things.

Indeed.

All in all, it looks good enough for the hardcore fans of the book not to bitch about it too much.  It's a movie that can pretty much film itself, as was proven to me by the shot of the old man running through the Louvre being IDENTICAL to what I imagined when I read the book 2 years ago.  It also proved to me that I don't really need to see the movie at all.  More than likely, I will, but I don't need to.