The Da Vinci Code

Started by MacGuffin, May 18, 2005, 12:50:41 PM

Kal

I just saw it and really if it wasnt because of the hype about the book, this movie wouldnt exist. The story is good (I read the book) and I was thinking that maybe without the hype, they would have made the movie better. Usually movies based on good books that didnt get a lot of publciity turn up better.

But honestly, with all the publciity and marketing and the fact that the movie was being released in May, nobody seriously could have thought this was a serious well done film contender of an Oscar. It was obviously a summer flick with the only goal of capitalizing on one of the best selling books ever.

Audrey Tatou wasnt that bad though. The rest of them, yeah. And it was too long. Other than that, I still recommend the book.

One thing i really was thinking is that probably 80% of the theatre didnt understand what the fuck was happening. Americans are very ignorant. They worship JC and religion because they tell them they should, and nobody really knows history. The bible is used as FACTs sometimes, even by our President, and nobody really  cares to understand why certain things are the way they are. I think that ignorance made people get interested in the movie, but then made them also not understand shit, and thats why nobody liked it.

pete

"
Quote from: kal on May 21, 2006, 10:02:38 PM

One thing i really was thinking is that probably 80% of the theatre didnt understand what the fuck was happening. Americans are very ignorant. They worship JC and religion because they tell them they should, and nobody really knows history. The bible is used as FACTs sometimes, even by our President, and nobody really cares to understand why certain things are the way they are. I think that ignorance made people get interested in the movie, but then made them also not understand shit, and thats why nobody liked it.

and of course by "history", you mean the da vinci code.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

why do you always have to answer like a retard?

i mean the real story of jesus, who he was, what he did, and why he is so important... everybody knows he is but nobody knows why. thats why nodody really knows the difference between history and the da vinci code.

MacGuffin

Prequel to Da Vinci Code in the works
Source: Moviehole

At least we'll see the disappointment coming this time.

Hot on the heels of its fiscally advantageous opening weekend, Sony has announced plans to do a prequel to "The Da Vinci Code", says PR INSIDE.

Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons", set before the events of the Hanks flickeroo, will be the next literary puzzle to get the big-screen treatment.

"We are very interested in filming Angels and Demons. We hope that the relationship with Dan Brown will be a long one. That could be the next project", says Sony Pictures Entertainment vice-chairman, Jeff Blake.

"Demons" introduces the character Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks), and involves a conflict between an ancient group, the Illuminati, and the Catholic Church. It is credited with being the first novel to contain ambigrams.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: kal on May 22, 2006, 10:35:40 AM

i mean the real story of jesus, who he was, what he did, and why he is so important... everybody knows he is but nobody knows why. thats why nodody really knows the difference between history and the da vinci code.

oooh please elaborate on "history", AndyK.  this will be no less than entertaining.  go on.  go on.
- Buster Keaton

Kal

A Matter Of Chance

This movie was crap. Tom Hanks was a goon. Parts of it looked/felt like the History Channel, which I have no problem with - were I watching the history channel.

md

Quote from: pete on May 22, 2006, 11:33:58 AM
Quote from: kal on May 22, 2006, 10:35:40 AM

oooh please elaborate on "history", AndyK.  this will be no less than entertaining.  go on.  go on.
are you a writer for family guy?
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Jeremy Blackman

Akiva Goldsman and Ron Howard both make me want to pull my hair out, but I think this movie was sort of redeemed for me by the story, since I haven't read the book. That said, it sort of makes me want to avoid the book. All the twists seemed cheap and meaningless, and the mystery seemed childish... especially with Ian McKellen's ridiculous performance. Did Ron Howard use the first take of every scene? He managed to entirely ruin the performances of at least five very good actors (the main trio plus Bettany and Molina). There was not one good performance in this movie... not even one moment of satisfactory acting that I can remember.

Remember the jump cuts where something physically painful is happening? (The murder at the beginning and Bettany's sadism thing, for example.) Those are the most absurd and ineffective jump cuts I've ever seen. Oh, right, Hans Zimmer... that didn't help... Did the producers just look for every hack within viewing distance? What bothers me the most perhaps is that half of Audrey Tautou's dialogue was made to sound like narration, ruining her first major American performance.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 23, 2006, 11:30:20 AM
Hans Zimmer... that didn't help...

I forgot about (blocked out) the score.  Not only was it terrible in its own right, but a lot of it didn't even seem to fit the scenes.  Why is Zimmer going against everything he learned scoring Bruckheimer films?  Did he really blow his load after Thin Red Line?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The whole storyline cheapened the investigation and suffered from the problems of Titanic, Pearl Harbor, etc. (the assumption that history is boring without a romantic plot driving it around). The Da Vinci Code was a big letdown and unless the book is so amazing and I need to read it, I think now I'll just be able to stay afloat in conversations about it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Walrus on May 25, 2006, 06:32:46 PM
The Da Vinci Code was a big letdown and unless the book is so amazing and I need to read it, I think now I'll just be able to stay afloat in conversations about it.
Well, most of the conversations I have about it usually end with:
"Have you read the book?" :saywhat:
"No...." :oops:
"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh." :ponder:
:doh:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

haha that reminds me of the time when I said I didn't like my big fat greek wedding and this big greek dude asked me if I was Greek.  clearly I wasn't, so I said no, and he was like "welllll, there ya go."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

And then he shoved a gyro into Pete's face.

©brad

i think all the bad reviews are inadvertently driving more people to see and love this sucker.

because if i have this conversation one more time...

AVIDFAN#412: Have you seen Davinci Code yet?
CBRAD: nope.
AVIDFAN#412: It's sooo good.
CBRAD: it's getting pretty shitty reviews across the board.
AVIDFAN#412: Oh who cares. I never listen to them anyway. 

... i'm gonna.... do...something...