Catwoman

Started by MacGuffin, February 05, 2003, 10:00:43 AM

MacGuffin

Warner Bros.' "Catwoman," was purring in the third spot with a moderate but disappointing estimate of $17.2 million.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Haha..

Love this.

:P

©brad

hahah, quote from filmcritic.com:

"so bad that i actually recommend you see it."

bwhahaha.

Gloria

Worst movie I've ever seen.  I got into it free (scored some free passes) and still felt cheated.  The fact that Bob Kane is mentioned in the credits makes me cringe.  This story intentionally has no relationship whatsoever to the comic book, cartoon, or any other Batman outlet.  They took the name 'Catwoman' and destroyed it.  Not only destroyed it, but hacked a hairball all over it.  Nobody see this movie.  There is no character development, no good fight scene, no realistic plot and since when did Catwoman have superpowers? The most unintentionally funny moment was SPOILER when Patience couldn't get into the front entrance of the cosmetics building because it was locked.  She walks around the building and finds a door marked 'Caution' in big, bright letters and casually opens it and walks into the building.  Seriously....Also the fight going into 'overtime.'  Worst dialogue ever *shudder* end pointless SPOILER  
I am such a huge fan of Batman and all the characters, especially Catwoman, so I'm just going to pretend this movie never happened and look forward to Batman Begins.

Best review quote from Jeffrey Lyles:
"....makes me long for the quiet dignity of Arnold Schwarzenegger's performance in 'Batman and Robin.'"

modage

Quote from: GloriaBest review quote from Jeffrey Lyles:
"....makes me long for the quiet dignity of Arnold Schwarzenegger's performance in 'Batman and Robin.'"
hey, i said something like that on the last page, except i've never heard of/read jeffrey lyles before... :?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

I would just like to extend a hearty congratulations to the makers of Catwoman on their stellar box office smash. The movie has lost over $100 million. Kudos to Halle Berry to for jumping on this mainstream gravy train. After that Oscar win, you deserve it!

mogwai

blame it on sharon stone.

matt35mm

I saw the last 20-30 minutes of this movie.  My brother was watching it (he picked this one, prolly cuz of the cat outfit, despite my warnings), and my movie finished before his so I went in to watch the last bit with him.

Ahahaha.  He was the only one in there.  And it was the first or second week since it opened.  If he hadn't picked Catwoman, no one would've been watching it.  Total waste.

Anyway, yeah it looked very bad.  The fighting was pathetic and the music that played during the fighting was terrible.  The music was probably the worst thing about the fights, actually, except that people stopped to explain things while fighting.  It didn't even seem to work on a camp level.

Oh well.  Actually I was surprised to hear that it cost so much to make.  It looked like it cost about $60 million.  So (even though the entire movie was a waste of money) it looks like $40 million of its budget didn't even go into the movie.  Hmm.

El Duderino

Quote from: mogwaiblame it on sharon stone.

blame it on the bossanova
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SHAFTR

My friend and I went to this last week at 7:00 on a friday night and no one was there.  It was just him and I and we thought we'd have a great time laughing at the movie.  During the trailers before the film, this girl walked in and sat right next to us.  Since the entire theatre was empty, I started to talk to her.  Apparently she got ditched by her b/f (they were supposed to see Eternal Sunshine).  I explained to her that my friend and I were there to laugh at the movie, and if that would be ok.  She said sure, she didn't mind.  Within 5 mins of watching the movie and laughing, she hushed us.  About 15 mins later she did it again.  That pissed me right off.

Anyways, Catwoman was worse than I even thought it would be.  Every aspect was awful.  From now on, another synonym for bad is Pitof.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

matt35mm

Quote from: SHAFTRMy friend and I went to this last week at 7:00 on a friday night and no one was there.  It was just him and I and we thought we'd have a great time laughing at the movie.  During the trailers before the film, this girl walked in and sat right next to us.  Since the entire theatre was empty, I started to talk to her.  Apparently she got ditched by her b/f...
I thought I was gonna get to hear a naughty story at this point.  Oh well...

And theaters are still showing Eternal Sunshine?  I wanna see it again!

Ravi

You should have shafted 'r!  

<-----------------clever

SHAFTR

Quote from: matt35mm
Quote from: SHAFTRMy friend and I went to this last week at 7:00 on a friday night and no one was there.  It was just him and I and we thought we'd have a great time laughing at the movie.  During the trailers before the film, this girl walked in and sat right next to us.  Since the entire theatre was empty, I started to talk to her.  Apparently she got ditched by her b/f...
I thought I was gonna get to hear a naughty story at this point.  Oh well...

And theaters are still showing Eternal Sunshine?  I wanna see it again!

...and then I put it in her butt.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Halle on Catwoman 2
She's not ruling it out!

Despite the poor stateside box office results for the critically maligned film, and her own mocking of it when she accepted her Hasty Pudding award, Oscar winner Halle Berry advised IGN FilmForce and other members of the press that she wouldn't rule out starring in another Catwoman movie.

"If they seriously said, 'We want to do another one and here's how we're going to make it better because we learned from the mistakes,' I would because I believe we could make it better," Berry revealed during a roundtable interview Friday in New York.

"I think Catwoman is a great character that maybe wasn't presented in the right way," she said, adding, "But when people see it on video they seem to like it. They're like, 'It wasn't as bad as they all said!'"

----------------------------------------------------
Ms. Berry obviously wasn't speaking for me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Catwoman Movie That Never Happened

This is a weird story full of amusing quotes by writer-director Daniel Waters. Waters spends most of his time these days doing his own thing, but at one point he was part of the Hollywood writer grind establishment and his primary claim to fame from those days is certainly Batman Returns. Although Returns was not particularly well accepted at the time, it is generally recognized as one of the better Batman sequels. Waters said working as a big-budget studio house writer was devastatingly mind-numbing. He remembered thinking ""f* these mother f*s, I'm going to write a bunch of scripts that are going to end up in a drawer, so when I kill myself, they can read these scripts and go 'he was a f* genius.'"

The point of this is, Returns landed Walters a chance to work on a Catwoman flick. Waters was in fact the first person to attempt the script, and he claims he actually likes the Catwoman character better than Batman himself. His story took place in an Arizona version of Gotham, and focused around three villains posing as heroes who ran the place. Burton had a different, darker vision ... and the studio flatly denied both of them. Asked about the Halle Berry project, Walters said: "there was a truck going "beep beep," backing up [at my house] and 900 scripts fell on my front lawn and [the studio was] like, 'do you want to arbitrate,' and I went to the last one and I went 'noooo, please don't give me credit. Whatever you do, anything.'"

Skeleton FilmWorks