The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

phil marlowe

don't wanna spoil the ending...

mogwai

Quote from: phil marlowedon't wanna spoil the ending...
i can understand that, heck, why don't you see any of the lethal weapon movies then?

phil marlowe

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: phil marlowedon't wanna spoil the ending...
i can understand that, heck, why don't you see any of the lethal weapon movies then?
you mean mel gibson is jesus. i allways thought it was ernst hugo järegård

cowboykurtis

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: cowboykurtis

how does it feel to be a pansy?

Fine, for the most part... except for having it instinctively and wrongly used as some sort of insult to signify... what? Cowardice? Fear of contention or a Triplets of Belleville-type thread?  :roll:  

I suppose that the same mind that characterizes having a standard for discourse a "pansy" quality would also characterize having a standard for films (which Mel Gibson's fall well short of) as being snobbish, so I probably won't be losing any sleep over it.

im so proud of you
...your excuses are your own...

phil marlowe

tell me cowboykurtis, are you proud of him?

cowboykurtis

Quote from: phil marlowetell me cowboykurtis, are you proud of him?

he seems like hes on the path to becoming a well adjusted member of society -- i am very proud of his acheivments
...your excuses are your own...

Pas

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaLENO: Apparently, originally, Gibson wanted Bill Murray to play Jesus, and the film was to be called Lost in Salvation.

Could that be one of the worst joke of all time ? I would think so.

Mogwai ... there's a wallpaper with Satan's face on the Passion website. He/she looks better in the movie though.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
LENO: Also, Satanists are upset at the film, saying Satan came off bad in the movie.  Yeah, they're calling it anti-Satanic.

I can't believe no one's said anything about this one -- it's hilarious!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

rustinglass

Quote from: phil marlowei allways thought it was ernst hugo järegård
that guy was so cool in riget! heard he was dead, is he?

just checked: he's dead. :cry:
Jesus, it took three deseases at the same time to finish him...tough motherfucker.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Myxo

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaLENO: Apparently, originally, Gibson wanted Bill Murray to play Jesus, and the film was to be called Lost in Salvation.

Mogwai ... there's a wallpaper with Satan's face on the Passion website. He/she looks better in the movie though.

Jay Leno is a fuckstick. They need to give Conan his time slot.

Leno sucks.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Pas Rapport

Moreover I don't really get it/see why it's funny.
LENO: "It's funny because of how Translation and Salvation rhyme. Get it?"
CHEST: ::laughs hysterically::

phil marlowe

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: phil marlowei allways thought it was ernst hugo järegård
that guy was so cool in riget! heard he was dead, is he?

just checked: he's dead. :cry:
Jesus, it took three deseases at the same time to finish him...tough motherfucker.
yep he's dead..i heard some interview where peter ålbæk(the zentropa exec) said that he though that ernst hugos dead would be the end of zentropa, financially....he's crazy though so whatever.

but rustinglass..don't tell me you've ignored the recent tom hanks thread:

Quote from: in the tom hanks thread zigur róz to mogwai

Thank you so much for everything.

FooBoy

->FooBoy

Myxo

Quote from: FooBoyI liked The Passion Of The Christ quite a lot, although it has it's share of flaws. The film's weaknesses lie in the depiction of some of the very minor characters, who seem rather two-dimensional. In particular, this criticism can be applied to the Romans who whip Jesus, who act as though they've stumbled off the set of Xena, doing little more than grinning oafishly and cackling between blows. That said, main actors are all very good, and credit goes out to Jim Caviezel for his terrific performance - his role was no doubt one of the most difficult for an actor to play. Anti-semetic? I didn't think so. It was the people in power calling the shots, not the Jews as a race. Also, I wouldn't call the film depressing - quite the opposite actually, although I don't think it's uplifting in a conventional sense. Overall, dispite some quibbles, I think Gibson handled the material fairly well, making this is one of the better films of its type.

Good enough to get Caviez' an Oscar nod for "Best Actor" in next year's Oscars?

rustinglass

Quote from: phil marlowebut rustinglass..don't tell me you've ignored the recent tom hanks thread:

Well, I....uhhmm....
I suck :oops:
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica