The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

ShanghaiOrange

At my theater the mananger is making us take down the Dawn of the Dead and Van Helsing posters.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Ravi

I thought it would be longer than 2 hours.

SHAFTR

Quote from: puddnanners2 hours, and absolutlely NO previews or commercials per Gibson's request.  It would be funny if someone put on a Hellboy preview though.

or if they used product placement in the movie.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Disco Kid

BAh...Im always the last one to hear the joke.

Sleuth

Quote from: Ghostboy on December 23Nice poster, especially the one on the right (save for the font).

I still believe this movie could be an artistic triumph. I may disagree with Gibson's politics, but I'll judge his films on their own merit.

In the meantime, I'm very amused by this:
I like to hug dogs

Stefen

Oh man. The religious groups are eating this flick up! I don't even think it's the actual movie but the hype of the movie. I saw a passion keychain at hastings and I saw a passion nascar on tv, this is insane. But I live fairly close to this church and they had it on their little sign that anyone could sign up for their "Passion of christ field trip" so I went in and checked it out and they said with a $20 donation I get to see the movie and ride in the bus with the other field trip attendees. I calmy left. Crazy.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

puddnanners

i saw the movie and it is an exploitation film.  Mel Gibson has taken the passion of christ and made it into an exploitative gore picture.  This is probably the most pointless piece of cinema ever.  I have no clue who Mel made this film for or why he made it, because the religious groups and youth groups that are buying up all the tickets will not be able to watch this (am i right in asuming that a lot of these churchy people have never even seen an R rated film?)  And that is another thing, this movie proves that Mel has an AWFUL lot of clout in the industry, because I have no idea how this passed with an R rating.  Personally, it wasn't the gore that bothered me at all, it was that scenes dragged on for so long, and the pacing was so unforgiving and relentless, that i felt like this movie beat me up.  The only thing positive for me about this movie is that i cannot wait until it opens up so i can see all the shit that will be going down at theaters (my place has sold out like fifteen shows) when people are absolutly disgusted and appaled with this film.  This movie did not enlighten, entertain, educate or evoke any emotion out of me at all, it just made me want to get up and leave.  I know that I do not post here often (i am a faithful reader though), and that you are probably not sure about my film taste and how i react to certain movies, but have faith in what i say (ha!), that this is a gigantic waste of celluloid, a truely worthless trainwreck of a film.  Mel, what was the point??

metroshane

Quotethe pacing was so unforgiving and relentless, that i felt like this movie beat me up.

Haha.  How ironic that is was YOU who was suffering 8) Imagine being crucified. :shock:  That's gotta really suck.  I don't know why Jesus didn't just get up and leave.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ravi

Quote from: metroshane
Quotethe pacing was so unforgiving and relentless, that i felt like this movie beat me up.

Haha.  How ironic that is was YOU who was suffering 8) Imagine being crucified. :shock:  That's gotta really suck.  I don't know why Jesus didn't just get up and leave.

Quote from: JesusNow you tell me.

Stefen

Rotten tomato watch...

Fresh: 8
Rotten:5

62% Fresh.

EDIT 1: Bad review just added.
Fresh: 8
Rotten:6

57% Rotten

EDIT 2: The count continues.
Fresh: 21
Rotten:19

53% Rotten
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

puddnanners

metroshane, i think that Gibson wants the audience to feel the crucifiction through the images in the film (which is stupid anyway because i am guessing that the core audience will not be able to handle it),  but instead, because of terrible filmmaking, the pain comes from the poor editing and awful pacing, not from whats on the screen.   I believe this to be the reason that the film is so bad.  I know that jesus felt suffering while being crucified, but i don't think that it was from boredom, like i was while watching the film.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: puddnannersbut instead, because of terrible filmmaking, the pain comes from the poor editing and awful pacing, not from whats on the screen.
Can you elaborate? Is that part of it just cheesy, or was it convincing but just too over-the-top graphic/disturbing?

Stefen

I don't really have high hopes for this. most of the people I have talked to that are have seen it and know my tastes tell me I won't like it. But i'm a big fan of two things. 1. jesus. 2. gore

SHAFTR

Jesus Sells,
I expect this movie to make big money.  Think of all the religious groups who are buy group tickets.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

what's the word on monica bellucci, did mel give her character the same amount of graphic realism?
under the paving stones.