The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Wasn't Kill Bill going to be the name for the Passion of Christ, anyway?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

The Passion Climbs to $264 Million in 3 Weeks

Mel Gibson's The Passion of The Christ added yet another big $31.7 million in its third weekend in theaters to boost its total to a massive $264 million. The $30-million budgeted film, distributed by Newmarket Films, has moved up to the #23 spot on the all-time domestic blockbuster list, only three million behind Shrek ($267.7), and is now the second-biggest R-rated movie all-time, with only about $17 million to go to pass up The Matrix Reloaded for the top spot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinThe Passion Climbs to $264 Million in 3 Weeks
this is really really crazy huge blockbuster.  who would've thought?  i wonder when it will start to peter out and dropoff or if it can keep this insane climb going.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02
this is really really crazy huge blockbuster.  who would've thought?  i wonder when it will start to peter out and dropoff or if it can keep this insane climb going.

I think it's guaranteed to be in the top 3 until Easter weekend.

A friend of mine changed the music on the trailer... I think it works much better.

"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

mutinyco

This thread is longer than Jesus' beating in the movie...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: mutinycoThis thread is longer than Jesus' beating in the movie...
You must be a slow reader...

MacGuffin

Quote from: mutinycoThis thread is longer than Jesus' beating in the movie...

*Spoilers*
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: themodernage02

I think it's guaranteed to be in the top 3 until Easter weekend.

that's probably true. the "Christian" market is rather large and there is a lot of money there. the film is causing a lot of people that don't go to movies at all to go......like old people and people that think the movies are the devil. my cousin's church rented a theater at 9am on Saturday morning......and it was packed.......and this church is not even in or near a large city......so i can't imagine what these mega churches with 1000's or even 10,000's of people are doing
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Mel Gibson May Develop Maccabees Film
Source: Entertainment Weekly

The Passion of The Christ director Mel Gibson told Sean Hannity on his radio show today that his next entry in the genre may be the story of the Maccabees, the Jewish guerilla fighters who led a successful rebellion against Greek conquerors 165 years before Christ, inspiring the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Gibson said the story "fired my imagination." Recounting the story, which occurred in biblical times but is not recounted in the Bible, Gibson said: "It's about Antiochus, the king who set up his religion in the Temple, and forced them all to deny the true God and worship at his feet and worship false gods. The Maccabees family stood up, and they made war, they stuck by their guns, and they came out winning. It's like a Western."

The story ends with a miracle: When the victorious Jews cleansed the Temple of its sacrilegious, they found only enough oil to light the Eternal Flame for one day, but it managed to last eight days, until more oil could be rendered. Hence the eight-day holiday of Hanukkah, when Jews light candles on an eight-branch menorah each night.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Mel GibsonThe Maccabees family stood up, and they made war, they stuck by their guns, and they came out winning. It's like a Western.
This leads me to one question... does Mel Gibson have some kind of sick compulsion to equate heroism with violence?

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Mel GibsonThe Maccabees family stood up, and they made war, they stuck by their guns, and they came out winning. It's like a Western.
This leads me to one question... does Mel Gibson have some kind of sick compulsion to equate heroism with violence?

yeah see, that's my problem w/ everything too. as if making a film extremely violent automatically renders it extremely powerful. i can't comment on passion b/c have yet to see it, but that's how i felt w/ braveheart.

modage

Quote from: C:\BRAD
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

yeah see, that's my problem w/ everything too. as if making a film extremely violent automatically renders it extremely powerful. i can't comment on passion b/c have yet to see it, but that's how i felt w/ braveheart.
i can almost guarantee thats how youre gonna feel about the passion then.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

Maybe not...I mean, the violence here isn't powerful or gross. It's so overdone that it's really pretty funny...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe