Cabin Fever

Started by MacGuffin, June 17, 2003, 11:01:19 AM

MacGuffin

After reading an article in the Los Angeles Times, and hearing the synopsis (both included below), I am very hyped to see this film. Seems a horror throw back to "Evil Dead".

Director Eli Roth is a protege of David Lynch and the score was by Angelo Badalamenti (Roth spent 6 years researching a project for Lynch and Badalamenti that will be written for Broadway).

"As a last hurrah after college, friends Jeff, Karen, Paul, Marcy and Bert embark on a vacation deep into the mountains. With the top down and the music up, they drive to a remote cabin to enjoy their last days of decadence before entering the working world. Then somebody gets sick. Karen's skin starts to bubble and burn as something grows inside her, tunneling beneath her flesh. The group is so repulsed, shocked and sickened watching their friend deteriorate before their eyes; they lock her in a shed to avoid infection. As they debate about how to save her, they look at one another and realize that any one of them could also have it. What soon began as a struggle against the disease turns into a battle against friends, as the fear of contagion drives them to turn on each other. The kids confront the terror of having to kill anyone who comes near them, even if it's their closest friend. The survivors have to find help before they're all killed by the virus, or by the local lynch mob out to destroy anyone who may have come in contact with it."

Kick ass poster here. Set for release on September 12th.

Why pretend? This director loves gore for gore's sake
Eli Roth freely admits he has no interest in imparting messages. With 'Cabin Fever,' the goal is to entertain -- and frighten.

Friday the 13th. Midnight. There probably couldn't be a more appropriate time for the L.A. premiere of the new horror film "Cabin Fever," screening in the Independent Feature Project/Los Angeles Film Festival. The feature debut from director and co-writer Eli Roth is a willful, knowing throwback to the sex-and-gore films of the late 1970s and early '80s, leavened with a dose of "Evil Dead"-style humor.

Causing a stir on the festival circuit since its first unspooling at the 2002 Toronto International Film Festival, the movie, about a group of kids stricken by a flesh-eating virus while vacationing in a remote cabin in the woods, is scheduled to open in theaters in September. Deliberately crude, Roth's film is a sharp stick in the eye to the neutered, PG-13 horror films that have left fans of gore somewhat bloodthirsty in recent years.

Raised in Boston, Roth attended New York University's undergraduate film program, and after graduation worked most any film job he could get, from production assistant to line producer to stand-in. He finished the first draft of "Cabin Fever" in 1995 and began the years-long struggle to finance the picture, during which time he also moved to Los Angeles.

Between bites of a chicken sandwich late one recent afternoon, Roth, 31, recounted with great detail when he first caught, as it were, the movie bug.

"When I was 6, we took a trip to Florida and the hotel had pay cable," he recalls. "People forget what a big deal that was once. If you missed a movie in theaters, that was it, you might never see it, especially something like 'Mother's Day' or 'Screamers,' which would never show on regular TV. So I wanted to watch 'The Killer Bees,' a good '70s horror movie, and my dad was like, 'There's this other move I think you might like better called "The Exorcist." ' Two hours later I was just traumatized."

It wasn't long before young Eli had found his path. "When I was 8, my dad took me to see 'Alien,' and I remember after that I said I want to be a producer. My dad says, 'Well the producer has to raise the money for the movie.' I was like, well, what does the director get to do? Well, the director gets to spend the money and tell everybody what to do. I want to be a director."

If only it were so simple, as Roth, who also receives a producing credit on "Cabin Fever," performed both roles in the name of bringing his first feature to the screen.

Continuing in a rapid-fire, nearly stream-of-consciousness style, Roth forges ahead without stopping, detailing his life through the movies.

" 'Alien' was the first movie I puked at. I barfed everywhere. It became this thing where every time I'd see a horror movie, explosive vomit erupted. I'd even be so nervous about it, I'd puke before the movie. Once I got over it, I'd rent anything that was the ultimate in super, ultra-violent horror.

"At my bar mitzvah luncheon, I was sawed in half with a chainsaw. I wasn't friends with any girls, so we couldn't have a dance, and my mother thought maybe we should get a magician to entertain all the kids. I said only if I could be sawed in half. My bar mitzvah cake was a director's slate with blood splattered on it."

The speed and precision with which Roth recounts his personal history is at once, strangely inspiring and disconcerting, perhaps the ultimate revenge of the nerd. "This has been the plan forever. All I've ever wanted was to be on the cover of Fangoria magazine, that was the most important thing in the world, and next month that's going to happen. All I have to do is take Christie Brinkley and Heather Thomas to the premiere and I've hit the trifecta. I could retire."

In truth, Roth is just getting started. Proudly noting that "Cabin Fever" has already tripled its investment before a single theater ticket has been sold, he seems equally savvy at deal-making and directing. He's sold a pitch to Universal, is undertaking a collaboration with "Donnie Darko" writer-director Richard Kelly and has announced a joint production venture called Raw Nerve. An alliance with a small consortium of other writers and directors, including Scott Spiegel, Boaz Yakin, and David J. Schow, the company will fund low-budget horror movies.

Raw Nerve is inspired in part by Roth's frustration at seeing projects by himself and like-minded director pals such as Lucky McKee and Don Coscarelli shunned by the risk-averse, kid-friendly mind-set behind much current film funding and distribution.

"There's a wave of executives who don't really get these movies," he explains.

"I sent 'Cabin Fever' everywhere for six years," he continues. "Changed it, resubmitted it, everything. The comments were this is disgusting, you need a killer, it needs to be more ironic, it's too gross. After that first screening in Toronto, these same people were all fighting for the movie."

An informed showman and provocateur, Roth seems prone to such galvanizing declarations as "You go to an R-rated horror movie because you know you're going to get the good stuff, and part of the good stuff is you're going to see the hot girl naked. You can't ignore that aspect."

Self-aware enough to realize that his attitudes, and his movie, might rub some people the wrong way, Roth is undeterred. "If people are so uptight they can't see the movie for what it is and they wind up protesting or something, that would be the best thing. Picketers would be the ultimate compliment."

With an eye for the sensational and a mind for show biz, Roth's single-minded pursuit of gore and grosses is actually rather refreshing. Trashy fun has always been one of the hallmarks of the moviegoing experience, and he believes it's a tradition worth saving.

"A lot of kids in film school were doing short films about the Holocaust or homelessness, and you'd look at their video collection and it's 'Zapped,' 'Porky's,' 'Last American Virgin.' Those were the same movies I watched, and I'd say, 'Why would you make a movie you wouldn't even watch yourself?'

"At NYU they really beat it into you that you have to have a message, you have to say something important, your film has to really be about something. And I always said the message is to be entertained until the credits ended.

"That's my message."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Very interesting Mac, BTW the link of the poster didn't work, it said Page Access Forbidden

Ghostboy

I've been really excited about seeing this, and this interview only ups the ante. Now if Lions Gate would just release a better trailer....

BTW, Lions Gate is the coolest distributor ever. All the way down to their seventies-style animated logo.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyNow if Lions Gate would just release a better trailer....

I agree. Teaser one here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i can't wait now! this is going to be a great year for horror fans, i can feel it! well, this and 28 days later. i guess that's it, unless somebody can think of more?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

It'll be enough, man
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

One of the coolest interviews I have ever read!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

This showed at South by Southwest here, but I didn't catch it.

A lot of people I was working with there said it was pretty good.  That poster... isn't that almost the exact same as the Last house on the left poster?  Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

that was exactly what i was thinking.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

That poster is wonderful (Cabin Fever, not Cabin Boy). Bring on the gore and nudity!

Cecil

life_boy

I've got cabin fever
She's got cabin fever
We've got cabin fever
We're in love!

penfold0101

This look very cool!

Does the UK get a release or am I gonna have to blind buy it on R1 DVD?
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

MacGuffin

Eli Roth's Next: The director of the upcoming horror flick "Cabin Fever" is already talking about his next projects to UHM. First up is "Drawn" which he describes as "so beautifully f**ked up and disturbing, I think it will be an incredible horror film....The tone of this one is much closer to 'The Exorcist' or 'The Shining'. F**ked up, and hardcore R rated, but not so much a gore film as just a terrifyingly disturbing movie. Everyone at Lion's Gate is really psyched about it, and I have two great producers in Lorenzo DiBonaventura and Nick Wechsler". Other than that he confirmed he'll be working on "The Box", the next flick from "Donnie Darko" creator Richard Kelly, and has launched a rather interesting initiative - "I formed RAW NERVE, a company devoted to making hard-R/NC-17 low budget balls to the wall old school horror films. The difference with our company is that it's going to be run by filmmakers - people who know and love the genre, not people who are jumping on a bandwagon. We should be announcing our first slate of projects very soon".

Skeleton FilmWorks