Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Started by Satcho9, May 22, 2003, 03:45:19 PM

Satcho9

Seems like Tim Burton is in negotiations to direct an "updated" version of this movie. It seems like the perfect movie for him to direct, I wonder if he still has enough gusto to pull it off though (Planet of the Apes anyone?)

I remember John C. Reily saying how badly he would love to play Willy Wonka. I hope Burton considers him...

MacGuffin

Tim Burton Directing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Warner Bros. has tapped Tim Burton to direct Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the second live-action adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic children's novel, reports Variety.

It is one of two projects Burton will make back-to-back at the studio, as he's signed to next do the stop-motion animation feature The Corpse Bride.

"Charlie" has long been considered one of WB's most promising properties, one that the studio hopes will lead to a Broadway musical, adds the trade.

Burton's has not made a deal yet, but it's close after a very positive meeting between the director and WB's Alan Horn, Jeff Robinov and Kevin McCormick. The Dahl estate has already approved Burton as the director they wanted most.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Hey how bout not ruining a classic with CGI and MTV promotion....

Raikus

Quote from: Duck SauceHey how bout not ruining a classic with CGI and MTV promotion....
But ruining a classic = $$$  :shock:

You should know that's all they care about. If they really want to redo Willy Wonka dark, hire America McGee and have him redesign the cast. I'd be very interested in his version of the Oompa Loompas.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

godardian

I find Tim Burton to be quite overrated regardless of what classic he's ruining... I thought Beetlejuice was alright, liked Ed Wood, but haven't really noted anything so very special about him. His reputation- the concept of Tim Burton- exceeds anything he's put onto celluloid, in my opinion. So I have no strong feelings about this new adaptation. If nothing else is playing, I might go see it.  :|
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

Quote from: godardianI find Tim Burton to be quite overrated regardless of what classic he's ruining... I thought Beetlejuice was alright, liked Ed Wood, but haven't really noted anything so very special about him. His reputation- the concept of Tim Burton- exceeds anything he's put onto celluloid, in my opinion. So I have no strong feelings about this new adaptation. If nothing else is playing, I might go see it.  :|

Wonka should be left alone.  How could a new one possibly improve on the original?  How?   Can't be done.

I dunno; I can't put Burton up there with the "greats" but his Greatest Hits album would be damn fine:

PeeWee's Big Adventure
Edward Scissorhands
Beetlejuice
Ed Wood
Batman
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Sleepy Hollow
Mars Attacks!

....all, IMO, good to excellent films.

Duck Sauce

Please God, keep obnoxious CGI out of this movie

but also, if this movie HAS to get made, which it will no matter what. I wouldnt want anybody but Burton doing it.

Ernie

Quote from: Satcho9I remember John C. Reily saying how badly he would love to play Willy Wonka. I hope Burton considers him...

Oh yeah, that was hilarious. Said something like "just show me who I have to blow to play Willy Wonka." He's such a funny guy.

Xixax

Quote from: Duck Sauceif this movie HAS to get made, which it will no matter what. I wouldnt want anybody but Burton doing it.

I can think of many people I'd like to see do this instead of Burton.

Harmony Korine?
Martin Scorsese?

Of course, none of these would make it "work", but damn it'd be fun to watch.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

So who you guys bet is going to play Wonka?

Jim Carrey, Depp....?

:?

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Ernie

I'd love to see Johnny play it, either him or John Turturro. Or John C.

Derek

Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are producing this.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Keener

There was a rumor about this last year. It claimed Burton was considering and Marilyn Manson wanted to star. I figured it was fake and the Manson part was thought up because of his "Dope Hat" video.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Carrey got it. He could work but my money would be more on him sucking. I could go for Depp. I actually would kinda like to see Dave Foley though they'd have to do something about his 12-year old look.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Gold Trumpet

If Burton did this, which I doubt anyways, I can't see him even doing much to move away from the original. I keep thinking of how bad the movie Sleepy Hollow was in being updated because it was the typical story only with some scenes of typical Burton imagery used for flashback scenes to this character. That did little in adding anything to the movie and just seemed like it was a director with little ideas in how to bring the story into new and rested upin the laurels his weird imagery may be confused for something profound. Burton is a greedy stylist ruining a lot of movies because he gets the role of director but never acts as one.  Any Burton movie I liked? Sure, but only Ed Wood.

~rougerum