Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Started by Satcho9, May 22, 2003, 03:45:19 PM

tpfkabi

this remake scares me. i love the original so much. it's so unique, and like most have said, you can't touch Wilder's performance (especially that intro on the red carpet). buttttttttt, if anyone touched it, i'm glad it's Burton/Depp.

i had read that Dahl was disappointed with the original. this surprises me since it lists him as the screenplay writer of the original.

so i ask this question to those who have read Dahl's original book:

How different was the film from the book? were there major characters/plots scrapped or added?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Tim Burton on His Version of Chocolate Factory
Source: Chicago Sun-Times Wednesday, December 3, 2003

Big Fish director Tim Burton talked to the Chicago Sun-Times about his upcoming Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, in which Johnny Depp will play Willy Wonka. Burton says while the 1971 Gene Wilder film was a bit on the sappy side, the new version won't be so much.

"Well, I don't want to crush people's childhood dreams, but the original film is sappy," Burton says. "It's sappy when it shouldn't be sappy and it's weird. Let's just say it's not one of my personal favorites. I'd rate 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' much higher."

Burton says he has wanted to do the remake for years. "I responded to the children's book because it respected that children can be adults, and I think adults forget that. There can be darkness and sort of foreboding. Very sinister things are very much a part of childhood. I like that sort of humor and emotion put together."

And why did he pick Depp, who has starred in various Burton films, for the role? "I just like working with him. He's always surprising and fun."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mister mister

Quote from: themodernage02Burton says while the 1971 Gene Wilder film was a bit on the sappy side, the new version won't be so much...

"I responded to the children's book because it respected that children can be adults, and I think adults forget that. There can be darkness and sort of foreboding. Very sinister things are very much a part of childhood. I like that sort of humor and emotion put together."

Sounds like it's going to be a very dark film.

Pozer

I was excited about this news at first, but for some reason when I hear Burton talk about it, I feel he should just leave the original be.

coffeebeetle

Yeah, he's dissing the original hardcore.  I don't recall it being THAT bad... :?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Duck Sauce

i think its a great story. i think now that it shouldnt be kept from being retold just because another version was already good, This will be different and at least its burton

Raikus

Quote from: Duck SauceThis will be different and at least its burton
Planet of the Apes.

That's why I have much fear for this project.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

yeah, it could blow like POTA or be worthwhile in its own new way.  but the original doesnt suck, so why an unneccesary remake?  its just a waste of his time when it'd bbe so much more interesting to see him doing fresh material: ed scissorhands, big fish (better rule).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

has anyone ever read the book?

i just wondered how different the original movie was from the book. apparently Dahl was unhappy with it, but this confuses me since he wrote the screenplay
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasapparently Dahl was unhappy with it, but this confuses me since he wrote the screenplay
maybe he wrote a dark script, with johnny depp in the lead. and they changed it all.
under the paving stones.

modage

i read the book several times when i was little, although i dont know that i could recall any specifics now.

foray

John C. Reilly? Not eccentric-looking enough, or skinny for that matter. Gene Wilder was the perfect Wonka. I found him so sexy and enigmatic. He also had a fatherly touch to him at times. I can't see Johnny Depp pulling it off. I prefer Christopher Walken!

foray
touch me i'm sick

Cecil

i read the book too, but havent seen the film in many many years. nothing really stood out as a big change

MacGuffin

John August Penning Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

John August, who wrote the current Tim Burton film Big Fish, is reteaming with the director to write the script for Warner Bros. Pictures' Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Johnny Depp is attached to star in the remake of the 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and the studio is keen on getting the project before cameras early next year.

Scott Frank, Gwyn Lurie and Pamela Pettler previously wrote drafts of the "Charlie" script, but August is said to be starting from scratch by heading back to the original source material, the Roald Dahl classic novel. August also wrote the two "Charlie's Angels" films.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Three Charlie movies...weird. Tom Green would make a great Oompa Loompa.  :lol:
WWPTAD?