Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: itwasgood on August 29, 2020, 10:23:32 PM
http://www.justjared.com/2020/08/29/bradley-cooper-looks-straight-out-of-the-1970s-on-set-of-paul-thomas-anderson-movie/

On set pics from 29th, Alana also pictured. They're still in Encino.

Don't see any shots of Alana in that set.  And it'll teach me to go to work today instead of driving around Encino!

Drill

Looks like Benny Safdie is in this.

wilberfan

Drill

They noticed too. Guess that's the closeted politician character (he came out publicly in 1999).

wilberfan

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on August 29, 2020, 10:43:52 PM
Looks like Benny Safdie is in this.

Drill spots another one!  :yabbse-thumbup:

wilberfan

I'm surprised there weren't any non-paparazzi (civilian) tweets of this today.  On the other hand, I guess the paps are  professional stalkers of celebrity-dense parts of L.A.  Wish there were some wider shots, so we could get a bead on exactly where this was.

itwasgood

Quote from: wilberfan on August 29, 2020, 10:34:59 PM
Quote from: itwasgood on August 29, 2020, 10:23:32 PM
http://www.justjared.com/2020/08/29/bradley-cooper-looks-straight-out-of-the-1970s-on-set-of-paul-thomas-anderson-movie/

On set pics from 29th, Alana also pictured. They're still in Encino.

Don't see any shots of Alana in that set.  And it'll teach me to go to work today instead of driving around Encino!

Didn't know if she's in the scene but she's certainly there.

wilberfan

Ooops.  That's only obvious. I was concentrating on trying to recognize buildings...

pynchonikon

In May 1971, Wachs, "a young political newcomer," "overwhelmed" veteran James B. Potter, Jr. in Los Angeles City Council District 2, which included portions of the Santa Monica Mountains and the San Fernando Valley.

In 1971 he proposed a ban on oil drilling on the city's coastline one-half mile inland from the shore "for both esthetic and geographical safety reasons."

(Source:Wikipedia)

So pretty much this photo confirms this takes place in 1971.

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on August 29, 2020, 11:42:11 PM

That doesn't square with the gas lines, though.  There was a gas shortage in '73 (which is about when I remember gas hitting $0.40/gal--which we saw last week on the 76 station signs).  I have a specific memory of how relieved I was to find a not-too-long line on my way to CSUN one morning (which I attended from '73 to '75).

wilberfan

pynchonikon

Yeah, that's unexpected and surprising yet very interesting. I thought he was great in Good Time, and happy that he's given the chance to shine once more.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on August 29, 2020, 11:50:29 PM

That doesn't square with the gas lines, though.  There was a gas shortage in '73 (which is about when I remember gas hitting $0.40/gal--which we saw last week on the 76 station signs).  I have a specific memory of how relieved I was to find a not-too-long line on my way to CSUN one morning (which I attended from '73 to '75).

More supporting evidence for 1973:  The poster says "Our Valley's Own Joel Wachs for Mayor".  According to Wikipedia,

QuoteWachs ran thrice for mayor of Los Angeles. In 1973, as a relatively unknown new city council member, he finished a distant seventh in a crowded primary election in which Tom Bradley eventually won his first Los Angeles mayoral election.

pynchonikon

Quote from: wilberfan on August 30, 2020, 12:24:18 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on August 29, 2020, 11:50:29 PM

More supporting evidence for 1973:  The poster says "Our Valley's Own Joel Wachs for Mayor".  According to Wikipedia,

QuoteWachs ran thrice for mayor of Los Angeles. In 1973, as a relatively unknown new city council member, he finished a distant seventh in a crowded primary election in which Tom Bradley eventually won his first Los Angeles mayoral election.

OK, you indeed have a point. Still that oil drilling ban doesn't seem to be totally irrelevant to the story.

I'm also curious how all this will be tied up with the Peters storyline, as he wasn't a big producer name yet by then.