Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

ThereWillBeOreos

I mean, there's also There Will Be Blood so I wouldn't be surprised if he did a long title again. I prefer Soggy Bottom though.

jenkins

frankly i'm happy to hear a reference outside of pta's movies and robert downey sr

one day/night narratives have been licked but they're a certain tradition. scorsese with After Hours of course. here in la there's john landis with Into the Night. Miracle Mile. Midnight Madness. but idk, even the idea of a summer movie for teenagers offered broader thematic possibilities. there's not so much that can be accomplished in all-nighter movies. unless pta considers otherwise and pulls it off

Tdog

I'm very fond of After Hours/Into the Night, still need to see Miracle Mile though and haven't heard of Midnight Madness so I'll check it out.

The reports have all been mentioning multiple storylines in the new PTA so it'll be interesting to see how they weave in and out and what the through line/theme of the narrative is.

Can't wait to hear about more of the casting choices.

kingfan011

Quote from: Tdog on September 03, 2020, 11:13:03 AM
I'm very fond of After Hours/Into the Night, still need to see Miracle Mile though and haven't heard of Midnight Madness so I'll check it out.

The reports have all been mentioning multiple storylines in the new PTA so it'll be interesting to see how they weave in and out and what the through line/theme of the narrative is.

Can't wait to hear about more of the casting choices.

love love After Hours but could never get into Into The Night. I think the problem I have is one the supporting characters aren't consistently interesting to me and for me the opening of the film is so good with him having insomnia, going to the airport, and immediately being plunged into this thing the rest of the movie doesn't match it for me.

Miracle Mile is very good. The third act is a bit disappointing only because the 1st and 2nd act are wonderful.

Drill

Quote from: ThereWillBeOreos on September 03, 2020, 09:38:36 AM
Might be a troll but Letterboxd is saying this movie is going to be titled The Night of Counting the Years? https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-of-counting-the-years-2021/

Same title as this flick https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-of-counting-the-years/ (probably no connection other than title, but hey... cool?)

Not sure where that's coming from. Seems too specific a title to be shared with another film. At this point, too many people are referring to it as Soggy Bottom, so he's probably just going to call it that. I hope not though.

Alethia

I've grown very fond of Soggy Bottom as a title.

Drenk

Ascension.

wilberfan

An opportunity for another Sydney/Hard Eight dynamic.  :yabbse-wink:

Find Your Magali

Miracle Mile & Midnight Madness are about as opposite movies as you can imagine.

Miracle Mile is a taut and existential thriller.

Midnight Madness is a ridiculous "Animal House"-era college movie. I cannot stress how silly and unrealistic it is. Which isn't to say you shouldn't watch it. Also features very, very early Michael J. Fox.

jenkins

a taut and existential thriller, i mean really

the similarities are in evening exploits and overlapping characters. really the problem i think is the small space of time doesn't allow for rich character development or expansive perspective

jzakko

no source placed for the article, not even an anonymous one mentioned. 

Although I don't think THR is the type to extrapolate like that, they're not indiewire who I could easily see scoping this thread, seeing those two actors are in it, and assuming they're the leads.

Yes

Alethia

That has crossed my mind more than once.

jenkins

ballparking madcap behavior and outrageous antics is fun

csage97

Quote from: Find Your Magali on September 02, 2020, 10:45:46 PM
Maybe he's going for a more natural/gonzo approach, like Robert Downey Sr. did with the casting in some of his films.

I'm not expecting greatness from Hoffman, but I'm expecting something special and interesting from PTA.

I would enjoy naturalistic/relaxed writing and performances (in comparison to the "intense" and towering Freddie, Dodd, and Plainview performances). I'd be good with either, really, but I'd be interested to see something that's kind of free-wheeling like in some of Linklater's films (Linklater had a lot of success with the casting for Everybody Wants Some, IMO).

I'm even more interested to see how Alana Haim will do. I wonder how much acting experience she actually has beyond music videos (not in terms of actual performances, but how much practice she has acting).

Also, another vote for Soggy Bottom  :yabbse-grin: