Ocean's Twelve

Started by MacGuffin, January 13, 2003, 09:44:29 AM

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhat a great heist movie.
you've got to be kidding me!  did you have any idea what this movie was supposed to be about?  did you care about any of the characters or the big scene at the end?  didnt you think it was a random assortment of half-funny scenes cobbled together?  this was NOTHING like the first one!  it was a mess of storytelling and an embarrassing spot on soderberghs career.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: matt35mmAnd yeah I didn't care about the whole Zeta-Jones/lost dad thing at all.  Were we really supposed to care?

I'll agree with this criticism. The movie is joyful, filled with love for all these characters, but is still irreverant toward the rules of the genre. This subplot felt like a follow through on a cliche uncharacteristic to the rest of the movie.

and modernage, let someone disagree with you.

pete

I thought that was cool though, the story of a thief who wasn't allowed to see his daughter, so he just kept on stealing things to make her find him.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

it was a cool idea, but totally underdeveloped.  like most of the half baked ideas in this movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

I enjoyed it, TWICE.

and this is from The Movie Blog, and totally for ModAge:

MTV Movies are carrying a small but interesting story that Producer Jerry Weintraub is interested in doing an Oceans Thirteen.

"The question is, how do you make another one that's better than this one?" he said. "This one's awful good. First one's awful good. We found a way to make a better one this time, I think, so we'll see if we have an idea, a way to do it, and we'll do it."

I haven't seen Twelve yet, but it really does sound good, Eleven was great fun although I am spoiled by loving the Rat Pack and the original. Here's hoping that this is more than the self promotion and that the curse of Police Academy won't kill off his dream.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

Quote from: Producer Jerry WeintraubThis one's awful good.
well, he was half right.

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere, its official, this film is qualified as decent overall.
Hey GT, Master and Commander kicks Oceans twelve's ass.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: POZER
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere, its official, this film is qualified as decent overall.

Hey, I ragged Master and Commander and then gave it a second chance and liked it in many ways. Do the same for Ocean's Twelve.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHey, I ragged Master and Commander and then gave it a second chance and liked it in many ways.
Oh, did you? I'm interested. Can you link me to your "second chance" comments?
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: POZER

Hey, I ragged Master and Commander and then gave it a second chance and liked it in many ways. Do the same for Ocean's Twelve.
I will thanks to you and others. But for this film, shitiness reins pretty high in my land of taste. It'll take a pretty strong army of Second Chance to conquer my hate for it.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHey, I ragged Master and Commander and then gave it a second chance and liked it in many ways.
Oh, did you? I'm interested. Can you link me to your "second chance" comments?

Short memory, friend. Not only did I give the film a second chance, but you also replied to them. You were still arguing me on certain points. But, anything for Silver Bullet. Just click and scroll down, http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2788&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Pozer

Interesting, I was going through some emotional problems during the first Oceans and wasn't able to enjoy it 'til later on. I agree with you there, when your mind and feelings are elsewhere, your first reaction is easily affected.

SiliasRuby

Saw this tonight and it was quite entertaining but nothing special....um...ya....I really hope that soderbergh comes out with something totally original after this.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: SiliasRubySaw this tonight and it was quite entertaining but nothing special....um...ya....I really hope that soderbergh comes out with something totally original after this.
You spoke too soon: he's remaking [and American-ising] The Dekalog...
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

ono

Post of the week.  :yabbse-thumbup: