Ocean's Twelve

Started by MacGuffin, January 13, 2003, 09:44:29 AM

©brad

i wouldn't add him. i have yet to see that film either, but i'm inclined to think that the movie is brilliant and ppl who quickly dismissed it missed something.

md

good movie the imovie transitions were pretty hip...
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: ©bradi'm just kinda sick about all these great directors fucking up.
To put a suitably more optimistic spin on things, maybe it's the year of subverting expectations...
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

ono

Yeah, 'cause The Ladykillers was all about subversion.

abuck1220

if the europeaness of this movie would have gone w/ the coolness of the heist in the first movie...that'd be one hell of a flick.

in other words, little disappointed w/ the heist in 12.

Pozer

Quote from: Small Town LonerThe scene where Julia Roberts has to  play Julia Roberts is the best of them all.
This whole sequence was one of the worst things I have ever seen in a movie. What, WHAT I ask IN GOD'S NAME were they thinking?

Recce

Quote from: ©bradspike, oliver, anderson (arguably)
Whatcha talkin' bout ©brad? What have Spike and Anderson flopped on?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: sickfinsit was wonderful to see soderbergh's total disrespect for everything, especially  consistency in fonts of titles and their placement on the screen.  this is a schizopolis sort of deal that just happens to have the characters from ocean's eleven.  the proof is in the cut from the cheadle gunshot to man running in the white building.  i couldn't believe half of the stuff was actually happening in the movie and that's what made it so enjoyable.  it was fucking crazy.  i loved seeing everyone fail miserably.  the biggest heist of the movie on the team's part was a bag switch on a train.  soderbergh kept flip flopping between genres and styles.  the camera was far less omnipotent this time around (we didn't get to see the las vegas skyline lose it's power from a floating camera angle or have a sequence of perfect camera whips).  even the slick poster conveys a sense of something going awry (why should the gang be running if everything always goes according to plan?)
the only parts that maintained the visual asthetics of the original were scenes with the french thief (his slick heist sequence, bright blue colours on the boat flashback, every scene at his house), whereas scenes with danny and his gang are dirty and gritty.  the only shot of danny that would visually fit into the original would be the push-in that you see in the trailer when he says 'so what are we stealing?', and it only looks that way because he's at the slick guy's house.  even the ridiculous tag line makes sense now, because the movie itself is just one big ridiculous

excellent tiny moments (kinda spoilers):
pitt's puzzled gestures to a message scrawled in shaving cream on the window of topher's trashed hotel room
clooney's sustained reaction to damon's 'poem' in the bar
clooney pouring wine on the ground watching halloween episode of happy days

i can easily figure why people hate this movie so much, but going in i was ready for anything and this certainly delivered my expectation of 'anything'

i heart soderbergh

I haven't seen Ocean's Twelve yet. I have no idea whether I even agree with this review, but yet again, I'm such a fucking fan of sickfins. Someone has to step up and say it.

Alethia

Quote from: Recce
Quote from: ©bradspike, oliver, anderson (arguably)
Whatcha talkin' bout ©brad? What have Spike and Anderson flopped on?

she hate me and i guess he didnt like life aquatic.....or maybe he meant alien vs predator...

SHAFTR

Quote from: POZER
Quote from: Small Town LonerThe scene where Julia Roberts has to  play Julia Roberts is the best of them all.
This whole sequence was one of the worst things I have ever seen in a movie. What, WHAT I ask IN GOD'S NAME were they thinking?

worst scene I've seen all year.  I wanted to leave the theatre at that point.

and "12 is the new 11" is also very lame.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

That's funny....all the problems I had with the movie seemed to disappear at the point in which Tess did the thing discussed above...that was where  was just like, okay, I like this movie, flaws and all.

I've had a few too many glasses of whiskey at the moment. Forgive me for any typos -- but not for any errors in judgement. I thought that development saved the movie.

bluejaytwist

apologies to all for starting a 12 thread in now playing...
anyways, moving on

twelve was fantastic....damon didn't suck for the first time in awhile...cheadle gave me the giggly shivers, hilarious...

and im not sure how one could hate The Sequence, i thought it was a really great, different thing to do. As Sickfinzsez, the titling, cuts, pace, chaos...everything works...
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

meatball

okay i lied. i never saw this and might never.

it's good to have GT back though. i'm his biggest fan.

Pozer

Quote from: bluejaytwistapologies to all for starting a 12 thread in now playing...
anyways, moving on

twelve was fantastic....damon didn't suck for the first time in awhile...cheadle gave me the giggly shivers, hilarious...

and im not sure how one could hate The Sequence, i thought it was a really great, different thing to do. As Sickfinzsez, the titling, cuts, pace, chaos...everything works...
SPOILAS
No, no. It does not work. Ghostboy, what are you talking about, you don't like this movie dammit. Yeah it was a different thing to do, but that bit did not work in this movie. one second I'm supposed to laugh at that screw ball satire, then I'm supposed to feel sad when cathrine zetas Dad comes back. The mixing just doesn't work (for me I suppose). I love Soderbergh, I love Schizops but his little antics and techniques just seemed so lazy in this film. A guy doing ballet(sp?) moves through moving lazers. The bleeping of Cheadle and friend's curse words in the studio. Not clever nor funny at all and this is a rare time where I agree with everyone in the audience I was in (hardly any laughs and some booed at the end). This movie just pissed me off and I felt so cheated and ripped off afterwards.
Wait, maybe that was the big heist.

ono

Quote from: POZERNot clever nor funny at all and this is a rare time where I agree with everyone in the audience I was in (hardly any laughs and some booed at the end). This movie just pissed me off and I felt so cheated and ripped off afterwards.
Haha, to anyone that boos a movie after they pay money to see it ... and it's a sequel to a Hollywood movie, no less ... well, all I can say to that is, you made your bed.  You get what you pay for.  Show some judgment next time.  Haven't seen this yet, don't plan to for a while, but me, I like the indie Soderbergh.  You can have the Hollywood side of him.