Ocean's Twelve

Started by MacGuffin, January 13, 2003, 09:44:29 AM

Pozer

Quote from: wantautopia?You get what you pay for.  Show some judgment next time.
this makes no sense. I liked the first movie and the director and the actors so all signs pointed to yes but what I ended up getting was crap.

Gold Trumpet

OK, i gotta say that I loved this movie. Way better than Ocean's Eleven and I don't give a shit, but I'll prolly have this movie on my final top ten list. Sure, I enjoyed the feel of the first movie, but many of us were also critical of Ocean's Eleven upon release. Having come off Out of Sight also with Clooney, I felt like Soderbergh was sacrificing a lot of his talent by making a film (even as good as it was) that focused so much on just the heist and not the characters. As prolific as Soderbergh is, it felt like his first Hollywood affair. Ocean's Twelve feels like the problems solved with an early Godardian irreverence thrown in to make things more fun. Its not a typical caper film, but as Ebert wisely put it, a "jazz riff on caper films", exploring character interaction instead of character depth. (even genre films seem to make some attempt at the dramatic)

Also, I never thought the story lagged. I got what I was expecting and am so happy to Soderbergh did switch gears because after the introduction of the characters of the first and such an intricate heist, where could have he gone? A bigger heist? That would have been dissapointing, a cash-in remake on paper. Besides The Incredibles, I haven't had a better time at the movie theatres this year that was as fun as it was rewarding.

meatball

Quote from: POZER
Quote from: wantautopia?You get what you pay for.  Show some judgment next time.
this makes no sense. I liked the first movie and the director and the actors so all signs pointed to yes but what I ended up getting was crap.

it's like having your dream girl fart right when you're about to get down to business.

Recce

Spoiler
It really bothered me that they used the hologram thing. The cool thing about the first was that, despite the unlikeliness of the heist, it was all possible. The hologram thing just made it all feel like they wrote whatever they wanted to make it work.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

ono

Quote from: meatball

it's like having your dream girl fart right when you're about to get down to business.
That's reality, and you're shallow if that ruins it for you.  If you pay attention to trailers, hype, or expectations based on the previous film, then that too is shallow.  Expectation only set yourself up to be let down.

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetwhere could have he gone?
I'll tell ya where could have he gone, to any other idea he has floating around besides making a sequal to Ocean's 11.

Gold Trumpet

I'll tell ya where could have he gone, to any other idea he has floating around besides making a sequal to Ocean's 11.

Damn, I gave you the set up and this is what you said in responce? Ah poor performance, my man, very poor. I was expecting some funny shit.

meatball

Quote from: POZER...crap...
Quote from: meatball...fart...
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet...shit...

Keep it goin'.

Gold Trumpet

Also, everyone's talking about how the "common folk" won't get this or whatever. Well, at the theatre I was at, it was filled with older people bordering on being senior citizens and senior citizens and after the movie they all seemed to not only like it, but like it more than the first one. Just the comments I heard....

metroshane

The movie really was "like a jazz riff".  And nothing's worse than bad jazz.  It's the Kenny G of movie jazz riffs.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

©brad

Quote from: GhostboyIn a lot of ways, this is closer to Full Frontal than to the first Ocean's 11, as far as how Soderbergh treats the material.

Also, Julia Roberts is great in this. This is the second film I've seen this week that has made me really love her.

agree.

Quote from: sickfinsit was wonderful to see soderbergh's total disrespect for everything, especially  consistency in fonts of titles and their placement on the screen.  this is a schizopolis sort of deal that just happens to have the characters from ocean's eleven.  the proof is in the cut from the cheadle gunshot to man running in the white building.  i couldn't believe half of the stuff was actually happening in the movie and that's what made it so enjoyable.  it was fucking crazy.  i loved seeing everyone fail miserably.  the biggest heist of the movie on the team's part was a bag switch on a train.  soderbergh kept flip flopping between genres and styles.  the camera was far less omnipotent this time around (we didn't get to see the las vegas skyline lose it's power from a floating camera angle or have a sequence of perfect camera whips).  even the slick poster conveys a sense of something going awry (why should the gang be running if everything always goes according to plan?)
the only parts that maintained the visual asthetics of the original were scenes with the french thief (his slick heist sequence, bright blue colours on the boat flashback, every scene at his house), whereas scenes with danny and his gang are dirty and gritty.  the only shot of danny that would visually fit into the original would be the push-in that you see in the trailer when he says 'so what are we stealing?', and it only looks that way because he's at the slick guy's house.  even the ridiculous tag line makes sense now, because the movie itself is just one big ridiculous

excellent tiny moments (kinda spoilers):
pitt's puzzled gestures to a message scrawled in shaving cream on the window of topher's trashed hotel room
clooney's sustained reaction to damon's 'poem' in the bar
clooney pouring wine on the ground watching halloween episode of happy days

i can easily figure why people hate this movie so much, but going in i was ready for anything and this certainly delivered my expectation of 'anything'

i heart soderbergh

agree!

Quote from: bluejaytwist
twelve was fantastic....damon didn't suck for the first time in awhile...cheadle gave me the giggly shivers, hilarious...

and im not sure how one could hate The Sequence, i thought it was a really great, different thing to do. As Sickfinzsez, the titling, cuts, pace, chaos...everything works...

totally agree!

dude, this movie rocked!!! it's fun, and that's what it should be, not to mention 10 times funnier(!) than its predecessor. matt damon was by far the funniest, especially the scene in the car with his mother, hah!. and also, the aformentioned moments pointed out by sickyfins (pouring the wine on the floor, clooney's look at damon) had me on the floor! the first one was not nearly as funny and far more predictable. (what about that sideways airplane shot? um, wow).

so the question is, what have the rest of y'all been smokin'? i suggets u find a new dealer.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: ©bradwhat about that sideways airplane shot? um, wow
I'll give you that, even though it seemed needlessly borrowed from Bringing out the Dead.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

modage

it was nowhere near as fun as the first one.  the tone was all over the place.  ALL the characters were underused.  the story did not work.  and i thought this one was far more predictable.  it was a very uneven film, but if you're willing to forgive all that because it still had its moments then...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

I really liked this, i was really scared when i read all the pre release hatred for this but it was much better then i thought.

Quote from: themodernage02i thought this one was far more predictable.  

This always bothers me, when one says that a film was predictable do they mean they knew what was going to happen all along, or they knew what was going to happen like 5 seconds before the character makes the revelation or a certain event happens?

SPOILER SPOILER PRETTY BIG ONE(S)

So the scene in the car with Damon after the jail thing, i said to myself Its his ma, right before she gave him the key to the handcuffs, but i wouldnt say the film is predictable, there was another scene where i did the same thing but it was literaly 5 seconds before it happened, predictable to me is if i knew that the real egg was in some guys backpack from the moment they hit Rome, or that it was their goal to get caught all along. Does anyone know what ringtone Brad had on his phone when CZJ had it in her possession? i was trying to figure it out as it was playing but it happened to fast.

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

Damn, I gave you the set up and this is what you said in responce? Ah poor performance, my man, very poor. I was expecting some funny shit.
sorry. I think I'm a little too bitter at this film. Feelings seem to be really mismatched here and with ppl I talk to. I really did want to like it, the opening had me and then it just got on my nerves at some point. maybe I missed some of the above mentioned about what he was really doing with the film, but I just couldn't roll with it. and I love the man's style and pretty much everything he has done before, but in this case I found myself rolling my eyes at things like sideways airplane shots.