NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Raikus

I think Chest is saying "Whatever, I could totally pwn you with Mortal Strike spam and Execute you nub."

And Squints is all, "This game sucks. I'm going to go play Hello Kitten Island Fantasy, jerk."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The Master was easy, you can talk him into killing himself.

Frank Horrigan is tough (though if you get him drunk or throw a radiated toe at him, you've got the fight in the bag).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Chest Rockwell

Frank Horrigan was a cooler fight, sure. But The Master, I thought, was a better villain, because in a way he wasn't a villain at all. Just a sick once-human that wanted to create a unified human race in the wake of atomic war as a result of ideological conflict. The fact you could talk him out of it made him a better villain if anything. Frank Horrigan is still cool, though; scary badass motherfucker haunting my nightmares.

Jeremy Blackman

Baal from Diablo II: Lord of Destruction was pretty memorable.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on October 17, 2006, 09:11:20 PM
Frank Horrigan was a cooler fight, sure. But The Master, I thought, was a better villain, because in a way he wasn't a villain at all. Just a sick once-human that wanted to create a unified human race in the wake of atomic war as a result of ideological conflict. The fact you could talk him out of it made him a better villain if anything. Frank Horrigan is still cool, though; scary badass motherfucker haunting my nightmares.

I agree that the Master was cooler because there were several ways to beat him, and you could still win the game if you chose to be a diplomat rather than a fighter, or basically anything you wanted to do (though a headon fight was very difficult.)  I just remember Horrigan being a much more intense fight because of the factors you could manipulate in your favor (such as turning turrets against him, employing his own men against him).  The first time through you'd skip those things, but over other replays of the game, being more meticulous, you can make that battle ridiculously easy by taking a lot of steps that just makes it more fun (especially watching his very gruesome death).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

I don't know why I keep checking this.. I liked it better when you talked about the new Nintendo and stuff I understood.

I watch Battlestar Galactica almost nightly and literally own blue-prints for the original Starship Enterprise, but you guys are a bunch of fucking dorks.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 18, 2006, 02:41:41 PM
but you guys are a bunch of fucking dorks.
I know you are but what am I?

Anyways, yea the Frank Horrigan fight is much more thrilling. I just like The Master as a character more. Two ways of judging the merits of a villain, it seems.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Speed Runs

There are some pretty cool speed runs here.  If you're not keen, speed runs are people playing through an entire game as fast as they can.  There are some pretty impressive ones, especially the Fallout (in 10 minutes) and Fallout 2 (in approximately 30).

There are a bunch of great games on it, though.  Prepare to have your childhood made moot.

pete

who is the master and who is this frank whatshisface?  what games are you talking about?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

The Master is the mastermind of Fallout. Frank Horrigan is the mastermind (the president was just a pawn, anyhow...) in Fallout 2. Both great games in their own way. Fallout:Fallout 2::House:House 2 - The Second Story....except way better.

now playing:

i bought the nintendo ds today, my first hand held system ever. what a slick and cheap artifact. it has neat games, too. makes me wanna cry.

edited out of respect for the english language.
context, context, context.