Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Yes

Yeah, I wonder how the storylines will overlap. Peters didn't produce until Star Is Born assuming this is early 70s, he's still a hairdresser at this point. As far as I see, there's no connection in real life between the two. I imagine PTA is sorta "remaking" Shampoo. Peters met Streisand during her pre-production work on For Pete's Sake which released in 1974. He designed her wig in 73. That said, the film was shot in NYC. The couple bought a Malibu home in 74 however

Yes

Extremely convincing argument that the film is about the production of a Star Is Born

https://twitter.com/DennisDuganFan/status/1299953971952586752?s=20

jviness02

If it's actually about A Star Is Born(I'm still not convinced) that is quite the stunt casting lol

The addition of Safdie is great, though!

Yes

A tough female agent was a rumored role (Sue Mengers). Peters interviewed many veteran old filmmakers like Altman to direct the film (John Huston-esque director). Cooper and Haim looking identical to Peters and Babz. It really does add up. Of course it's difficult to account for the young teen actor and Safdie as Wachs. I can only speculate Wachs is a repressed Streisand fan? Something correlating to his sexuality? No clue, but I think we're onto something and excited for PTA to yet again make a hard left when we're expecting a right

jviness02

Quote from: BigSock on August 30, 2020, 01:51:38 AM
A tough female agent was a rumored role (Sue Mengers). Peters interviewed many veteran old filmmakers like Altman to direct the film (John Huston-esque director). Cooper and Haim looking identical to Peters and Babz. It really does add up. Of course it's difficult to account for the young teen actor and Safdie as Wachs. I can only speculate Wachs is a repressed Streisand fan? Something correlating to his sexuality? No clue, but I think we're onto something and excited for PTA to yet again make a hard left when we're expecting a right

Did anything of real significance happen making A Star Is Born that would warrant a film? I genuinely don't know, and am not asking as a dick response.  I can see a fictional film about the making of Jaws or Apocalypse Now etc but I'm not familiar with anything of note happening during the making of A Star Is Born.

Also, can we now confirm the "insider" poster was wrong or PTA dropped a different project that Leo passed because I looked back at his posts and he guaranteed it was set present day which is obviously not the case.

Yes

Quote from: jviness02 on August 30, 2020, 01:54:51 AM

Did anything of real significance happen making A Star Is Born that would warrant a film? I genuinely don't know, and am not asking as a dick response.  I can see a fictional film about the making of Jaws or Apocalypse Now etc but I'm not familiar with anything of note happening during the making of A Star Is Born.

Also, can we now confirm the "insider" poster was wrong or PTA dropped a different project that Leo passed because I looked back at his posts and he guaranteed it was set present day which is obviously not the case.

Nothing "significant", but Peters is very much a PTA character with his bravado and rage. And Peters had a very toxic relationship with Streisand during filming. Breaking walls and lamps at their home, threatening Kristoferson after a nude scene with Streisand. Streisand kicked Peters in the neck with her heel while driving to set one morning. I could see PTA being drawn to these intense stories or maybe hearing them growing up.

jviness02

Quote from: BigSock on August 30, 2020, 02:07:13 AM

Nothing "significant", but Peters is very much a PTA character with his bravado and rage. And Peters had a very toxic relationship with Streisand during filming. Breaking walls and lamps at their home, threatening Kristoferson after a nude scene with Streisand. Streisand kicked Peters in the neck with her heel while driving to set one morning. I could see PTA being drawn to these intense stories or maybe hearing them growing up.

Thanks for the info. I suppose we'll have to wait a find out, but that could be interesting.

Drill

I'm not sure about Alana Haim playing Streisand. Or even that she'll actually appear on screen as a character. That sounds that it would be a lot of hoops that he would have to jump through. Maybe she'll just be mentioned a lot peripherally.

Yes

Quote from: Drill on August 30, 2020, 02:19:36 AM
I'm not sure about Alana Haim playing Streisand. Or even that she'll actually appear on screen as a character. That sounds that it would be a lot of hoops that he would have to jump through. Maybe she'll just be mentioned a lot peripherally.

Shes been photographed on set twice, different days and locations and scenes. Possibly Lesley Ann Warren? Peters ex-wife from 67-73?

itwasgood

Quote from: BigSock on August 30, 2020, 02:07:13 AM

If the speculation is true, the making of ASIB could be only a puzzle piece in the whole picture of what the child actor had experienced in the show business. I wonder will there be more?

Fuzzy Dunlop

Benny Safdie?? Oh wow. Wow. wow.

One note about all this speculation re: who is playing who. When has PTA ever had a major character that was an actual public figure? Like, Dirk isn't John Holmes, Dodd isn't L.Ron, Plainview isn't Doheny. He pulls details from real people, warps them however he sees fit, puts them in a big weird stew, and it's never quite what you expect. I don't see this one being any different.

Yes

Benny Safdie plays an actually real person though

Fuzzy Dunlop

tbh I'm kind of just skimming these to stay half-ignorant so I'm sure I missed some details. Curious to see if it's confirmed by more sources that he's actually playing Wachs, and the rest of the ensemble are playing real people, that would be a huge break in precedent.