does anyone want to chat about Big Fish?

Started by MrBurgerKing, May 07, 2003, 08:36:52 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer is now online:

Windows Media
Hi-Res
Lo-Res

Real Player

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

*tries to wait patiently for Quicktime version.

Sleuth

I don't like "from the imagination of Tim Burton"
I like to hug dogs

Ernie

Quote from: tremoloslothI don't like "from the imagination of Tim Burton"

Yea, I haven't watched the trailer but I can already hear it in my head. I'm a Burton fanboy and I don't even like it.

modage

the trailer seems a little sappy actually.  a little too sweet, like tugging on the heartstrings and all.  but i have faith.  it will still rule.  the people that cut the trailers suck balls.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Quote from: themodernage02the trailer seems a little sappy actually.  a little too sweet, like tugging on the heartstrings and all.  but i have faith.  it will still rule.  the people that cut the trailers suck balls.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything because I was tired when I saw it, so maybe I had imagined it being like that, but no
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02the people that cut the trailers suck balls.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: Ghostboy*tries to wait patiently for Quicktime version.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/big_fish/

quicktime, full screen, and downloadable versions all available

although anyone under 13 might want to consult a parent because the movie will contain "a fight sequence, some images of nudity, and a suggestive reference."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I thought it was a pretty good trailer. Some of the imagery looks incredible (especially those Japanese Siamese twins), and I suspect this will be the first Burton film since Ed Wood within which can be detected a palpable heartbeat. I can't wait to see it.

MacGuffin

Pearl Jam has written a new song for the upcoming Tim Burton film "Big Fish," which opens Dec. 10 in select U.S. cities and Jan. 23 in wider release.

The cut, "Man of the Hour," was debuted earlier this week at an acoustic benefit concert in Seattle. At deadline, it is unclear whether the song will appear on the Sony soundtrack, due Dec. 9, only in the film itself or both.

The album will feature a score by frequent Burton collaborator Danny Elfman and a host of era-spanning tracks to be determined, according to a label spokesperson.

Thanks to a Pearl Jam fansite by the name "The Jamily." You can now hear the actual bootleg track from the recent concert here.

To hear Eddie Veder's intro, Download - PJ_Bena_Intro_Man_Of_The_Hour.mp3

To hear the new song, Download - PJ_Bena_MOTH.mp3

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I just got back from seeing this. First of all, I just want to say that I wish Burton would stop using Phillip Rousselot (sp) as a DP. But that's just personal preference.

You can definitely sense that Tim Burton is trying to grow as a director...he's stepping outside his usual areas of expertise, for the most part. There is a lot of visual whimsy and surreal material, but an equal or greater part of the movie is dedicated to the characters and their relationships. Some of it is hit and miss, some of it is wonderful...it's all good but not great, up until the last twenty minutes, when suddenly Burton delivers everything you might have hoped he would with this kind of film. I was unprepared for it. I haven't cried this hard in a long, long time time, in or out of a theater. I felt kind of embarassed, actually.

I have a feeling this one will do pretty well, financially, especially with families. Also, Albert Finney will probably get an Oscar nomination for this. It's one of those great career capping performances.

Burton's always talked about his love of Fellini, and I sensed that more in this film than in any others he's done. Especially at the end. I wasn't sure how personal the story was to him, until the producer of the film mentioned afterward that both of Burton's parents died shortly before he signed onto the project. Which means it was very, very personal. The circus and Siamese Twins sequence made me hope that, following Willy Wonka, he finally gets Geek Love off the ground.

Verdict? SUCCESS!

Kal

Great... I'm really looking forward to this... its weird that I havent seen the trailer in the theatres yet...

modage

modage

for some reason right out from under our noses big fish's WIDE release date on CHRISTMAS!!!! Dec. 25th!!! has now been quietly moved back to JANUARY FUCKING 9th.  i am so insanely jealous of ghostboy who saw this early november that i want to shit my pants.  nothing makes me more angry than a fucking exclusive engagement in NY and LA for two fucking months like they're the only two cities on the planet.  if i'da known it wasnt going to open up in mid/early december like originally scheduled like a week after the ny/la date, i'd have driven to nyc to see the fucking thing a month ago.  i hope this fucking bullshit plan blows up in their faces.  i havent heard shit for buzz on this film (besides the nerd community like myself) and no one else seems to give two shits about it.  i hope this movie squeaks out into a wide release and it makes 2 dollars and wins 0 awards.  fuck sony and fuck this.  

now, back to my holiday spirit.