does anyone want to chat about Big Fish?

Started by MrBurgerKing, May 07, 2003, 08:36:52 PM

tpfkabi

everyone knows the real question is:

"Was that the real DeVito or a butt double?"
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Derek237

and,

"Did he really do that with his foot?"

SHAFTR

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickJust saw this the other night.  I thought it was awesome... I can see how that one critic (was paid to) said it was the new Wizard of Oz.  It has some of those elements in it.... but this was much better than Wizard of Oz.

NO WAY JOSE

I saw Big Fish last night and really liked it.  I thought the performances were great (esp Lange and Crudup) and I really liked the contrasts between the flashbacks and reality and the little golden light that shines on the son when the two worlds merge.  It ends up in the lower half of my top 10 for the year.  I got very teary eyed during the end.

ohh and nothing beats Wizard of Oz.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

I'm with mod-age on this. I was disappointed too. While the stories are bizarre and fantastical and went on a bit too long, I didn't really think they were that strange and out there. Burton could have pushed 'em even more. And even so, I never really felt I knew the characters.

*SPOILERS*

When the ending came, I was touched, but not moved. It was like hearing the news about a friend of a friend rather than someone I knew.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yeah, being such a big burton fan, and reading all the subsequent praise the film was getting on here, i was planning to re-watch the film soon to see if i missed something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: MacGuffin
*SPOILERS*

When the ending came, I was touched, but not moved. It was like hearing the news about a friend of a friend rather than someone I knew.

*SPOILERS*

just a little into the movie i knew that the upsurd stories were being set before me so at the funeral all of the people would show up......so when it happened, nothing happened for me........a lot of people are saying they began crying at the ending, but i already knew long in advance.......I actually finally saw Sleepy Hollow and liked it a lot......i think Big Fish will be better on subsequent viewings though.........here's crossing fingers for Willy Wonka!!!!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Chest Rockwell

I must be the only one here that thought Big Fish was great. Sad, sad world...

Raikus

I liked it, but I thought It'd be better. Luckily I heard a couple of people were disappointed with it before I watched it so I lowered my expectations. It was still a good movie, but I could easily see it being a great movie with a couple of changes.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

brockly

I loved this movie. Sure, there were flaws here and there but they were mainly on behalf of the screenplay. And I also thought there was some poor editing (such as in the scenes with the witch, the clown shooting at him, and when he wrestles the big fish at the start). But apart from that, I thought it was great. I remember thinking about ghostboy's review, the first Big Fish review i ever read and therefore the one that really stuck in my head, where he said "it's all good but not great until the end, which really delivers everything we could have hoped for" or something like that. I just kept thinking throughout the movie: boy, if this isn't great, then the ending must be awsome. And it was. I really, really enjoyed it.

The sountrack was excellent, also. Every choice of song was good and the score was great (especially during the opening cedits).

Pubrick

it was all very good until the final two lines of voice-over.

spoil..er

something like "and so he became immortal". i wanted to puke my guts out. does he want to wipe my ass too? jesus christ, first of all that was the lamest explanation of the meaning u could give even to retards.. sure he became immortal, DUH FUCK DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M A FUGGIN IDIOT, but more accurately everyone in his lineage became immortal through its retelling. especially crudup, whose decision it was to continue his dad's legacy, he gave up his foolish pride and realised that his dad was a great man who was doing sumthing very special and self-less for his son and future generations.

so when u watch it, mute the fuck out of the final voice-over, or cop the insult.
under the paving stones.

brockly

MacGuffin

Source: DVD Answers

Thanks to our retail sources, we appear to have a solid release date for Tim Burton's Big Fish which stars the likes of Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney and Jessica Lange. The disc will be available to own from the 27th April this year, and should set you back around $29.98 although that has yet to be officially confirmed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

my only problem with it, is that i think they should've put a few more WORDS on the cover.  its too plain.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

DETAILS
-Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
-English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
-French Dolby Surround Track
-Audio Commentary with Director Tim Burton
-Tim Burton: Storyteller (About the Director) Featurette
-A Fairytale World (Myths and Fairytales) Featurette
-Creature Features (Stan Winston Creatures) Featurette
-The Author's Journey (Daniel Wallace's Story) Featurette
-Edward Bloom at Large Character Journey Featurette
-Amos at the Circus (with Danny DeVito) Featurette Fathers and Sons(The Father & Son Dynamic) Featurette
-Interactive Tim Burton Trivia Quiz
-Multiple Theatrical Trailers
-English, French Subtitles

Chest Rockwell