does anyone want to chat about Big Fish?

Started by MrBurgerKing, May 07, 2003, 08:36:52 PM

meatball

About Big Fish. I really was expecting less, and I came out loving it. I hadn't cried so hard since watching Traffic. I'm not sure why exactly, but this really really hit home hard. Unlike other movies like 21 Grams and Lost in Translation which I thought would have more effect on me. Strangely, I got very absorbed into this one. Can't wait for the DVD!

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: meatballAbout Big Fish. I really was expecting less, and I came out loving it. I hadn't cried so hard since watching Traffic. I'm not sure why exactly, but this really really hit home hard. Unlike other movies like 21 Grams and Lost in Translation which I thought would have more effect on me. Strangely, I got very absorbed into this one. Can't wait for the DVD!

Well I liked Big Fish, but it didn't 'hit me hard' as much as the other two you mentioned.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

When is this coming out?

We wants it!!

MacGuffin

Quote from: andykWhen is this coming out?

Quote from: On the previous page, MacGuffinSource: DVD Answers

Thanks to our retail sources, we appear to have a solid release date for Tim Burton's Big Fish which stars the likes of Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney and Jessica Lange. The disc will be available to own from the 27th April this year, and should set you back around $29.98 although that has yet to be officially confirmed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

SoNowThen

Quote from: meatballAbout Big Fish. I really was expecting less, and I came out loving it. I hadn't cried so hard since watching Traffic. I'm not sure why exactly, but this really really hit home hard.

It was hard for me to concentrate on the last 20 minutes, because my friend sitting beside me was sobbing.

:)

I really liked this movie. Burton's best since Ed Wood. And proves two things:

1. Finney is good in everything he does
2. Lange's still got it. Part of me aches because she never really got a great movie. She gets to work with Marty, and he makes his only bad film. She was good in Titus, but that movie was weighed down by too much for it to come out being anything more than interesting. So maybe this is her great movie...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

from rumors i've heard, Ewan McGregor looks a lot like Albert Finney used to. and, imo, Alison Lohman looks a lot like Jessica Lange, i would believe they were mother/daughter any day.

as for the movie...it was good, i went to a press screening about a month before it came out over here, which was cool. i thought it had one of the best endings i've seen in a while. i remember smiling throughout. i give it 4/5.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

SoNowThen

Yeah, it was uncanny how they made Lohman look like Lange.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

also, my favorite character: Mr. Soggybottom

SoNowThen

He seemed very Wes Anderson Kumar-esque.

El Duderino

yes, i really liked the shot when he pulls out the gun, and then they have a close up of his face as a tear drizzles down his cheek...it's great.

mogwai

flawless movie, great acting from the leads and tim burton is amazing. i thought he had lost his thang after making that stupid alien movie. sorry, mars attacks fans, but that was a load of shite! that pearl jam song was the great way to end the movie and to start the credit (a lá magnolia.. sort of). looking forward to the chocolate movie. and possibly a sequel to ed wood. *fingers crossed*